Boredom

If you don't have friends and no band, then you need to take up solo instrumental guitar so you can play rhythm, riffs, some improvisation, and the vocal melody part all at the same time on one acoustic guitar. Then set up a YouTube channel. Hurry, before AI completely replaces human musicians.

Alternately, develop some new extended techniques--become the next Derek Bailey!

Reactions: C C
If you don't have friends and no band, then you need to take up solo instrumental guitar so you can play rhythm, riffs, some improvisation, and the vocal melody part all at the same time on one acoustic guitar. Then set up a YouTube channel. Hurry, before AI completely replaces human musicians.

video link: Luca Stricanoli
What is he doing with the tuners?
Is he playing a harmonic and sliding up a half note?
Lots of fun.
I play open D all the time .Can you see what tuning he is in ?

Ok. You have friends? You can jam with them?
no friends

OK, then what have you got for reproduction of sound? Figure out how to loop it and manipulate and expand upon the Frippertronics universe.

Or, reinvent the drum machine. Software based is crap, hardware is the way to go! Use samples, analog electronics, or even physical modeling (if you're really good at DSP say) for the sounds. Use the microntroller of your choice--pics, avrs, whatever--for the brains. Too much repetition/uniformity? Explore pseudo-randomness, or figure out how to make your machine responsive to whatever sounds you are making. Possibilities are endless here.

What is he doing with the tuners?
Is he playing a harmonic and sliding up a half note?
Lots of fun.
I play open D all the time .Can you see what tuning he is in ?

Seems to be G-minor tuning: D-G-D-G-Bb-D

Or like open G-tuning, but with a flatted B or 2nd-string.

Here are the tabs (PDF): https://fingertabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Whole-Lotta-Love.pdf

There are harmonics indicated in the tablature, where it also says: "Tune down second string while the harmonics are ringing."

Earl Scruggs (the banjo player) was the earliest instance I know of somebody de-tuning a string to a different note while playing, and then rapidly tuning it back. So the technique at least dates back to 1952. Alexandr Misko has special tuning pegs (with coiled springs) on some of his guitars that apparently snap the string back to the original note automatically (or something), after initially tweaking it manually.

Last edited:

This is great!

When Middle Eastern performers started adopting fixed pitch instruments like transistor organs, a lot of them would install switches to temporarily drop certain notes by a quarter step. You can hear this on a bunch of Oum Khulthum recordings from the 60s/70s, but I can't locate any video footage of a player doing this.

You can also do this with tonewheel/Hammond organs by briefly switching the instrument off, albeit with far less predictable results.

Edit: The Farfisa Professional/Pro Duo and certain Wurlitzer makes, i.e., whatever model Alice Coltrane used, offered pitch-bending features, but they were universal--not note specific.

Last edited:
just go on car drives, play sports, guitar and thats basically it ive seen other things but doesn't interest me
Joining a community club is a great way to find things to do, but more importantly a great way to make new friends.

Local bars and clubs will have card games, darts games, etc. Many of them are happy to have newbies join.

but theres nothing interesting it's all boring dumb stuff
The stuff you are calling "it" is not alive. It can't "be" anything.

The only alive, thinking, choosing thing in the picture is you.

You have an obligation to find something in your life that brings you joy.

You don't have to find that joy right away. What you have to do is make a change. Do something different. Anything different. If you follow it, it will lead to other new things and new people.

Seriously. Join a club. Having other people involved will help you make it a routine that you keep coming back to. If you do something alone, you will likely drop it the first time it gets inconvenient. Make friends.

I dont want to join a club, ive seen other things and nothing interesting

im here trying to find good suggestions but no one tells me good ideas

I dont want to join a club, ive seen other things and nothing interesting

im here trying to find good suggestions but no one tells me good ideas
We tell you good ideas.
You reject them.

If you like being bored more than you like joining a club or trying a new hobby, then it follows that you can't be all that unhappy with being bored.

I don't go there
Go there. Its free. Don't log on a PC and go on Facebook, you can do that at home.
Get an interesting book, a subject you like. A person, country, culture, science, technology you have found interesting.

You have to put some effort in and do some work on your own mate.

geordief wishes it to be known that, not only am I right about everything, but I am also the most charismatic and best-looking SciFo member.

He wishes to bequeath his entire LEGO collection to me and has asked that I date his girlfriend while he is busy.

You can trust me on this, as indicated by Geordief's silence on these matters. He is, after all, a man of few words.

Back