Bone found in hole in neighbors yard

Then by all means hold on to the bloody thing.

Yeah, I thought about asking them if I could have it. They definitely were very interested, but for an amateur anthropologist like me, it was like finding gold!

You know, if it's very old, it might be a bloody North American lion or something.

Ok, here's the latest pictures I took of the bone. They found a second smaller piece next to it. I have that one in some of the pics. Here goes:

Bone1.jpg

Bone7.jpg

Bone3.jpg

So again, any ideas what it could be from? And if you notice the notched shape in the post just above, could it be that someone carved it out that way for some kind of tool or something? Or do bones naturally take that kind of shape?

Heres some stuff that might help, I found this while attempting to look for a more accurate Femur.

The other bone looks similar to a component of a Tarsal. Possibly if not a dog/wolf, but more likely Buffalo.

In any case if something got stuck in a swamp, you can be pretty sure that it wouldn't last long, other animals would have come and carried off what they could take, which is why you'll not necessarily find a full skeleton.

If you can't visably identify it there are some labs that can do tests for a nominal fee to at least identify what animal type it was, possibly even what age it is.

Oh one extra thing, for future junior forensics events, remember when taking a picture to place somethign into shot that can be used to gauge the overall size of what it is you are taking a picture of. This could be a Ruler, tape measure or even a large coin.

You need to photograph it against a ruler for some scale. Your hand in post#1 provides some scale, but a precise measurement can only help with identification.

That said, I'm placing my $ on dog. ;)

It definately needs a ruler or a dollar bill by it for scale. You describe the place as a lot. Do you know where the old farmstead was?

It doesnt show chewing marks or wear on the ends, which indicates it did not sit on the surface and become buried slowly over time.

Could be someones hunting dog buried in a favorite hunting spot.

I'm not sure about buffalo: here's one from an extant buffalo and it looks curved:

http://www.lizzyshealthypetfood.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1280

Then again...what I think is the upper epiphysis of the femur (which now I'm not sure about)...looks totally fucked. Almost looks worked, that joint end. Not exactly feline, is it? The smaller bone might be a bloody tarsal or something. Maybe it is a bloody buffalo after all.

Yeah, I'm going with Stryders' opinion: metacarpal and a carpal, most likely. Cow or bison, I'm not sure. Looks thin-ish but could be a juvenile.

You could also pubmed to get names and email addys for a bovine DNA lab. Can't say for sure they'd help, but maybe.

My bad, I initially presumed it to be a dog/wolf femur, however moved towards buffalo component and what you've found looks on the money.

Oh - well no worries anyway.

Here are some buffalo femurs for comparison:

Skaught's image:

One from Google:
bison%20femur%20bone%20smoked.jpg

Interestingly, they are sold for wolf/dog treats...

Hard to tell without reference scales, but it does look like Skaught's is, in fact, considerably smaller. As someone else said, perhaps it was a juvenile...

Hey! That's my ref. :mad: Anyway, I don't think it's a femur, but a metatarsal. The articulating surface is just too funky. It looks almost like someone worked the ends into a mashing tool, which isn't femurish.

I'm not so sure about a metatarsal either. This bone is about 9 inches long or so. Wouldn't that be a pretty damn huge paw?

Back