Bone found in hole in neighbors yard

skaught

The field its covered in blood
Valued Senior Member
So my neighbor was digging holes in his yard to put a foundation for his new patio. He found this bone about 5 feet down. Any idea what it could be from? We also thought it was peculiar how on the left side it looks like, well, I can;t describe it. Any info would be great. I only had my camera phone, so I may post more pics later when I get my camera running.

bone.jpg

Ooohhh!! Ahhhh!!! EEEWWWWW!!!

5 feet down you say? Was that measured correctly?

I wonder how it got there? So it was all by itself? No other clues?

Mystery Babylbone.. :p

Interesting. But if they start having paranormal activity in the house, maybe it would be wise to put it back? :D

Likely a Dog or Wolf Femur, depending on of course your part of the world.

You'd proably find the rest somewhere down the hole, anyone bury any pets down there?

I live in Minnesota. There are lots of coyotes here and years ago, there were wolves in this area, but not anymore. This picture doesn't really do it justice. I almost thought it was fossilized when I first saw it. It was only after touching it that I realized it wasn't. It feels more like wood than bone. I know that it has to have been down there for a long time, at least since before there was a house there. I could go into the whole history of this area but wont bother, At any rate, my parents house was the first in this neighborhood, where their house is was a swamp for years.

I'm going over there again today to get more pics. The end that is jagged looks kind of unnatural, like someone made it that way.

How about a lateral image? I think cat femurs are straight laterally, dogs arched. Panther maybe?

Well there's no panthers in MN, Don't think there ever has been. But there used to be bobcats. There still are but not this far south anymore.

I'll get more pics later this afternoon.

Minnesota? I'll bet there were at one time. I'm positive they used to occur just a little east of there. Is the femur very straight?

Sah-weet. Maybe a panther/cougar/blah...or maybe something even better. Mind, you're right, it might just be a bobcat, but it seems pretty big. Let's hope.

Sah-weet. Maybe a panther/cougar/blah...or maybe something even better. Mind, you're right, it might just be a bobcat, but it seems pretty big. Let's hope.

I'm gonna have to look into this to see if panthers/cougars were ever here. Bobcats can get pretty big, but I'm not so sure if they can get that big.

Possibly. I could look into that too. I seem to be more interested in it than the people who found it!

I believe that is under the purview of the County Extension office. At least that's what we call it around here. MN you say? We're practically neighbors, then! :wave:

I know that they handle various issues around ecology, wildlife, plants, etc. You can consult them. Not sure about identifying dem dried buried bones.

It is kind of interesting. You don't usually expect to find random bones that far down. I wonder if that is a hint at its age. I would assume so. You say it was swampy at one time?

Maybe try a skilled hunter? Or a veterinarian?

I'm interested in knowing how it got down there?

The more I see that picture, the more I get a sense of evil. Get rid of it now!
Joking... LOLZ!

Not too long ago cougars had at least a sparse breeding population in Minnesota - in the Minnesota, Mississippi, and Red River valleys at least, where there were deer to eat.

Cougars are very wide spread - they live planetwide wherever deer live, and some places without deer if there are similar prey.

Shh...don't say anything more...only time will tell...if...well, you know.

MN you say? We're practically neighbors, then! :wave:

Midwest Bro!!!:mufc:

It is kind of interesting. You don't usually expect to find random bones that far down. I wonder if that is a hint at its age. I would assume so. You say it was swampy at one time?

Its definitely very old. It was about 4 1/2 - 5 feet down. My parents have lived here for 33 years, and when they moved here There was a swamp in the plot right next to the plot where the bone was found. The area where the bone was found was wet, with lots of trees, and you could tell it had been that way for a while. So it's certainly been there for a long time!

Back