Biomedicine and biotechnology - degrees, careers and the future

Cat_with_no_eyes

Registered Senior Member
Is biotechnology really the future?

what are your opinions? And if so, in which area?

Such as the engineering area or the healthcare area?

And does biotechnology always lead to engineering?

And what about biomedical science, I would like to do that as a degree, but which does the world need most?

:D

I'm just addressing an article on Biopiracy in which you might find something useful from in Indian perspective such as Ayurveda:

We Have Solved The Problem Of Biopiracy 100 Percent

How does the Traditional Knowledge Digital Library address the problem of biopiracy?

Basically what was happening, multinationals, or whoever wanted to appropriate our knowledge would take assistance from someone who understands these books — Ayurveda in Sanskrit, Unnani system of medicine in Arabic, Persian, Urdu and Siddha system in Tamil. They would translate these books and convert them into international patent formats and file it at an international office. A patent can be granted if there is a novelty. And if something already exists in printed form, obviously there is no novelty.....

(Source)

Just consider how much of what you eat is fertilised, processed, hybridised, stabilised, pasteurised, fermented, fortified, enriched and vacuum packed.

yes it is most likely the future like what SAM said look at what we can do already mechanical hearts a prosthetic arm that is as strong as a human arm and can sense what your nerves are telling your nonexistent arm what to do and can understand what you are trying to do

Are biotechnology and bioengineering and biological engineering all the same thing?

Are biotechnology and bioengineering and biological engineering all the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
What am I doing?

I like biology and i'm interested how we can use bio with technology to create new things. I am also interested in diseases and illnesses and how they can be cured and I like genetics.

Would Biotechnology suit me best as a degree?
what are your thoughts? :confused:

I like biology and i'm interested how we can use bio with technology to create new things. I am also interested in diseases and illnesses and how they can be cured and I like genetics.

Would Biotechnology suit me best as a degree?
what are your thoughts? :confused:

idk, you know yourself, since you love them all, try to see in wich one are you better, and at wich one you get better marks and you better understand it.

Is working as a biotechnologist a rubbish job compared to biomedical scientist?

I've heard biotechnologists work developing soap powders, useless stuff like that. Is biomedical science much broader and better?

Depends on the job, I've been working a biotech job as a graduate student, if your doing research that has exciting publishable results or high market value it can be very rewarding, if not it, well then it sucks, very hit or miss. Biomedical is probably not much different, maybe less start-ups, but those are risky no matter the field.

No. They have been saying it is the future since 1972. And for a while it seemed it was. But mostly biotechnology is used as a political tool nowadays, with the notable exception of some nations, where there is actually some form of substantial biotechological research outside the government funded research setting. But expect stiff competition, suboptimal working conditions and salary. Unless you are a CEO of course.

See above, and keep in mind that the definition of biotechnology is ever changing, depending on nation, era and political need.

This area is showing a decline in innovation and research is mostly done behind closed doors, which doesn't do transparency much good. I don't think anyone can give you a clear picture on what exactly is going on, except that CROs are controlling the market and the main aim is making a profit. Which in reality means mostly re-evaluating existing drugs (approved and not approved) for new uses, and not new innovative research.

Depends on the definition. A general definition would be research that leads or aims at a practical application, which per definition would mean some level of engineering.

And what about biomedical science, I would like to do that as a degree, but which does the world need most?
What the world needs most is lawyers and accountants.

No. They have been saying it is the future since 1972. And for a while it seemed it was. But mostly biotechnology is used as a political tool nowadays, with the notable exception of some nations, where there is actually some form of substantial biotechological research outside the government funded research setting. But expect stiff competition, suboptimal working conditions and salary. Unless you are a CEO of course.

See above, and keep in mind that the definition of biotechnology is ever changing, depending on nation, era and political need.

This area is showing a decline in innovation and research is mostly done behind closed doors, which doesn't do transparency much good. I don't think anyone can give you a clear picture on what exactly is going on, except that CROs are controlling the market and the main aim is making a profit. Which in reality means mostly re-evaluating existing drugs (approved and not approved) for new uses, and not new innovative research.

Depends on the definition. A general definition would be research that leads or aims at a practical application, which per definition would mean some level of engineering.

What the world needs most is lawyers and accountants.

so is bioinformatics same as biotech and or bioengineering too?

I took a bioinfomatic course once, I hated it, I just wanted to learn how to search databases not how to generate them! But if your into that sort of thing by all means get into it, with the number of genomes being sequences this has got to be a growth field.

No. They have been saying it is the future since 1972. And for a while it seemed it was. But mostly biotechnology is used as a political tool nowadays, with the notable exception of some nations, where there is actually some form of substantial biotechological research outside the government funded research setting.

There sure are A LOT of grants to do with bioethanol .. *#*^@@! tools

Back