Biological Energy

Sounds like you are making up your own definition of religion. And what religion is based on tradition anyways? Religions have religious practices, but that's not the same as tradition.

The first definition that pops up at dictionary.com is:

"Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe."

I associate a god or gods and worship with the word "religion", which is pretty much the same as a creator and reverence.

Saith said:
Sounds like you are making up your own definition of religion. And what religion is based on tradition anyways? Religions have religious practices, but that's not the same as tradition.
Religious practices that have been practiced for extended periods of time are considered traditions, since the very definition of the word "tradition implies that it is a repeated activity. ;)

The first definition that pops up at dictionary.com is:

"Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe."

I associate a god or gods and worship with the word "religion", which is pretty much the same as a creator and reverence.
That's teh result of mistaking "traditions" and "religions".

Sorry... I can't talk. I have to go lunch... I'm starving...:/

Saith said:
Prayer is a repeated activity.
No, it isn't. Prayer changes over time. My prayer today will be different then tomorrow's and yesterday's. Prayer is just the act of communicating with God. If prayer was considered a tradition, talking with people would also be.

No, it isn't. Prayer changes over time. My prayer today will be different then tomorrow's and yesterday's.

Prayer isn't a "repeated activity" because they vary? I don't see how not.

If prayer was considered a tradition, talking with people would also be.

I don't consider prayer to be a tradition, which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

That's teh result of mistaking "traditions" and "religions".

Looks like the dictionaries are confused too.

Saith said:
Prayer isn't a "repeated activity" because they vary? I don't see how not.
Talking is a "repeated" activity. Is talking a tradition? Prayer is simpley: talking with God.

I don't consider prayer to be a tradition, which is why I mentioned it in the first place.
So then we agree... ;)

Looks like the dictionaries are confused too.
Yes indeed... :D
That's why they were written by atheists, that have absolutely no idea about how those things work and what they mean... :rolleyes:

Talking is a "repeated" activity. Is talking a tradition? Prayer is simpley: talking with God.

I wasn't the one that said that a "repeatd activity" was a tradition. I was refering to your definition of tradition, which wouldn't include talking because it's not a religious practice like prayer is.

So then we agree...

You said "Religious practices that have been practiced for extended periods of time are considered traditions, since the very definition of the word "tradition implies that it is a repeated activity." Which I didn't agree with which is why I mentioned prayer. I don't think prayer is a tradition, but I do think that prayer fits your definition of tradition. I think your just defining words how you want to fit what you want to believe. Talking is an activity just like prayer. And talking is repeated just like prayer and varies day to day just like prayer.

Yes indeed...
That's why they were written by atheists, that have absolutely no idea about how those things work and what they mean...

ok...

Saith said:
You said "Religious practices that have been practiced for extended periods of time are considered traditions, since the very definition of the word "tradition implies that it is a repeated activity." Which I didn't agree with which is why I mentioned prayer. I don't think prayer is a tradition, but I do think that prayer fits your definition of tradition. I think your just defining words how you want to fit what you want to believe. Talking is an activity just like prayer. And talking is repeated just like prayer and varies day to day just like prayer.
Ok... where were we in the beginning again...? :confused:

Let me say it in a clear way.

An example of religious activity: communion.
Communion is always the same. It kinda limits God, so it is more like a tradition than actually what God intended (that's my belief, not theirs).

Prayer, in the other hand, is not religious because it is not a cerimony kind of thing. Prayer is simply talking with God. There's no "religion" involved.

Back