Big Bang Theory -Foolish-

Cris said:
No it isn’t, it is a matter of what can be shown to be true. Belief without facts are simply fantasies.

Thats an opinion. Just as he stated an opinion.

Ill return the favor with this:

You are wrong and so is he. I am the only person that has been right here so far. Go party, forget asking the question. Noone is sure yet, so go get laid while they give themselves a stroke thinking about it.

:m: :cool:

fubar,

Thats an opinion. Just as he stated an opinion.

No it isn't an opinion. If there is no evidence then what you have is a fantasy. This is fact not opinion.

I have a question for you Darlas, about creation theory.
Adam and Eve, only had two sons, Cain and Able.
Cain killed Able. Cain got married. Who did Cain marry?

Where did the future children come from?
Did Cain and Able have babies with their mother? Or with each other?

Maybe "god" took another one of of Adam's ribs and made another woman.
Maybe Cain had babies with the body of his dead brother, Able. I'm sure he was Able. :D

Cris said:
Like I said - if we must choose then what Occam demonstrated was that statistically the simplest idea usually tends to be the most accurate.
Sorry, but this occam's razor thing is bugging me. The simplest theory is no more likely to be accurate.
If I have a very simple idea as to how an electron moves from place to place, i.e., it has to move as a particle in a straight line, I will tend to be confused by the tests on the idea.
There are millions of examples where the simplest theory is wrong.
I think there is discussion regarding evolution being heirarchical instead of having one agency (natural selection on the level of the organism), because of more recent empirical evidence. Please don't tell me you would say one or the other version of the theory is more likely to be accurate solely based on complexity. The simplest theory would be "goddidit", and you certainly have to hate that one.

cole grey said:
Sorry, but this occam's razor thing is bugging me. The simplest theory is no more likely to be accurate.
If I have a very simple idea as to how an electron moves from place to place, i.e., it has to move as a particle in a straight line, I will tend to be confused by the tests on the idea.
There are millions of examples where the simplest theory is wrong.
I think there is discussion regarding evolution being heirarchical instead of having one agency (natural selection on the level of the organism), because of more recent empirical evidence. Please don't tell me you would say one or the other version of the theory is more likely to be accurate solely based on complexity. The simplest theory would be "goddidit", and you certainly have to hate that one.
Misapprehension - Occams Razor means that the simplest theory that fits all the facts is the one most likely to be correct. So your "simple idea" on how an electron moves doesn't match the facts and is not considered the correct theory by Occam's Razor. In every case, the simplest theory is the correct one as far as the current state of knowledge. If knowledge expands to find new data which does not fit the current theory, we work to find a new theory. Newton's equations of motion work very well, untill you approach the speed of light - then everything changes and you need Einstein's theory. Without Einstein's theories we would today be wondering why our GPS satellites seemed unable to keep time correctly. Newton's theory doesn't fit all the facts, but Einstein's is the simplest which does.

In fact, of course, Occam's Razor only boils down to "simplest" - what it actually says is "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" literally "Entities should not be multiplied without necessity." Here on the religious forum, I guess the unnecessary entity is God. Over on Pseudoscience it is Aliens. (For example, it does not require magical forces or super-advanced technology - ie a whole other sapient race of beings - to create crop circles. Crop circles are within the capability of ordinary human beings, and so all crop circles were in fact created by ordinary human beings. Occam's Razor, QED).

SILAS,
The simplest theory that fits "all the facts", is not necessarily true.
Will you predict which evolutionary theory is correct, based on simplicity, and based on our available facts, with Occam's razor? Good luck. If Darwin is wrong about his one-level emphasis, based on recent findings, will that make him correct up to now, or will someone who advocated a heirarchical idea in his era be more correct? More complex, and more correct?

Re: God - what are "all the facts"? You misapply Occam's method for researching a scientific theory's veracity to an area where the "facts" are sparse, or non-existent, or ubiquitously abundant, depending on who you ask, because the researchers can't even agree on which "facts" are to be included in the proving process. Some people claim that everything is planned by God, some that everything is chance, some take a middle road - prove to me which view should be used to gather the "facts".

cole grey said:
SILAS,
The simplest theory that fits "all the facts", is not necessarily true.
Name a single counter-example.
cole grey said:
Will you predict which evolutionary theory is correct, based on simplicity, and based on our available facts, with Occam's razor? Good luck. If Darwin is wrong about his one-level emphasis, based on recent findings, will that make him correct up to now, or will someone who advocated a heirarchical idea in his era be more correct? More complex, and more correct?
It's not really Darwin you should mention in this respect. Darwin advanced the best theory around as to how complexity can evolve through random mutation strained through the extremely tough sieve of non-random survival or non-survival. Nobody doubts that the driving force for evolution is still at the level of the individual organism. The controversy to which you refer is best represented by the division between Richard Dawkins, who strictly feels that since genes are carried in individual bodies, it is only individual organisms which can evolve, and the model believed by the late Stephen Jay Gould, who felt that some species survival is driven by species level selection. I'm afraid I don't fully understand the arguments on either side, so I'm not going to pick one. But let us say that Gould's concept prevails. In order for it to do so, there would have to be evidence of some kind of evolutionary development which would prove (by genetic or mathematical analysis) that species selection is also an operating factor that drives evolution. But in this case, Gould's total theory (including the one-stage theory of genetic mutation and selection first proposed by Darwin but augmented by the work on genetics by Mendel, mathematical genetics by R.A. Fisher and others and even Watson and Crick with their enumeration of the DNA molecule) - this total theory then would then become the simplest theory which fit all the known facts - something that Natural Selection on its own would fail to do. The fact that the real theory is more complex than an earlier theory does not in fact invalidate Occam's Razor by one iota. I already explained this once by reference to Newton's simple theory and Einstein's immensely more complicated (not to say counter-intuitive) one. Newton's theory is simpler, but it does not account for all the facts, and therefore it "falls by the wayside". Nonetheless, by Occam's Razor we still eliminate unnecessary entities when dealing with everyday practical matters and use Newton's theories of forces and motion when relativistic effects are not going to be noticed - to quote Apollo 13, Jim Lovell said "Well, gentlemen, we just put Isaac Newton in the driving seat." Newton's theory was less correct - at the tenth decimal place or whatever - but it was certainly good enough and beautifully simple enough to program into the primitive computers of the Apollo missions, for example.

cole grey said:
Re: God - what are "all the facts"? You misapply Occam's method for researching a scientific theory's veracity to an area where the "facts" are sparse, or non-existent, or ubiquitously abundant, depending on who you ask, because the researchers can't even agree on which "facts" are to be included in the proving process. Some people claim that everything is planned by God, some that everything is chance, some take a middle road - prove to me which view should be used to gather the "facts".
I think you totally misunderstand the scientific method - facts are gathered with no particular view in mind at all. But ever since Newton our exploration of the world around us has revealed that everything is governed by comprehensible laws and subject to analysis by mathematics. As each new discovery is made and found to fall within that paradigm, it is only natural to assume that the next level down, the next thing to be found, is also based on some natural, mathematical, law. So as evidence is gathered the scientists try to think up mathematical laws which will govern things so that they appear the way we see them. After three hundred years of success in this direction, it would be foolish to stop at any point and say "from this point on it must have been God". Even if we reach a point past which it is impossible for us to find the underlying law, we must still strive to do so, until we find absolute unavoidable proof that a conscious intelligence was undoubtedly responsible for something.

Silas said:
Name a single counter-example.

My point is that a heirarchical model is more complex. It seems to me that it could be true. If it is true, the heirarchical ideas of hugo de vries, for example, may have been more complex and more correct than darwin's when the same "facts" were available. Applying Occam's razor as a proof of truth would have been misguided.
All that aside, all I am really saying is that one theory may be more complex than another and prove to be correct. Obvious. I feel that the use of occam's razor to "prove" a theory's veracity is misguided, even though the use of it to point out which theory may be most easily tested is incredibly valuable.

Silas said:
I think you totally misunderstand the scientific method - facts are gathered with no particular view in mind at all.
This is a common misunderstanding that you are making. Facts are not randomly gathered. There is a view in mind that tells you which types of facts to gather, and there are aims and goals in the process. Your idea that the initial observation of a phenomenon must come from out of nowhere may or may not be accurate (I say not accurate). Some scientists make theories based on facts that are uncovered "accidentally" (by other scientists, for example), but many theories are accepted as sensible, and then later evidence verifies them (einstein's relativity for example). Tell me which of these types of scientists are not using the scientific method.

Umm, going back to the beginning of this thread, I think evolution (I'm adding this in) and the Big Bang theory are very much easier to believe than God and the devil, etc.

Medicine Woman: "You need to do a lot more scientific reading. The bible was written in the day it was written, and nothing in it today is accurate or still applicable.
I had a conversation yesterday with a christian friend of mine. He agreed on the BB and theory of evolution, but he still believes that god started our creation. Therefore, if a god existed that could have started the BB..."

I have a Christian friend, too, and she takes the bible very literally and completely disagrees with evolution (and thinks people are stupid for believing that over JESUS) and probably feels the same about the Big Bang theory. She also believes (along with a lot of others at her church) that the bible was written back then but is today and always will be very applicable in our lives. They think that the stories in the bible are things that still happen now in different ways but with the same message (I think I made that make sense...). I really think I should read up more on evolution and Big Bang theories. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
religion is mankind's creation to explain what can't be explained logically, maybe even to give him/his people a central position in the universe, nothing else. It is humanity's desire to stretch from reality and enter a greater state of being. Maybe there is a spiritual self and religion was intitiated as a method of reaching that state. But religion has then surpassed its initial goal and gone on to give itself more purpose and destroy the world!!!

Something that is stated wihtout evidence is proof, something stated with some factual proof is an arguement, something measureable ( specifically in terms of quantity) is factual.

visit http://www.redsoulja.tk

Some say that there is something in people that just feels like there is more out there, that there must be a god watching over us, because it just makes sense. They say people have an innate sense of God.

Back