Biblical Living

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
I have to admire his determination. I think I just may buy his book. I bet he has an interesting perspective on the whole thing

What if you spent one year following every rule in the Bible? A. J. Jacobs did exactly that.

Sept. 21, 2007 - After A. J. Jacobs spent a year reading the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica for his book “The Know-It-All,” he figured he had the yearlong experiment thing down. How much harder could it be to follow every rule in the Bible? Much, much harder, he soon discovered, as he found himself growing his beard, struggling not to curse and asking strangers for permission to stone them for adultery. Jacobs spent the year carrying around a stapled list of the more than 700 rules and prohibitions identified in the Good Book, and also consulted with religious leaders and spent time with the Amish, Hassidic Jews and Jehovah’s Witnesses.

You speak as though one year is enough to summon all life. He has failed to follow bible, because following rules of Bible is following rules all throughout life.

Blasphemy has no boundaries.

Buy his book, but can you retain your soul? Can you retain your sins?

What if you spent one year following every rule in the Bible?

For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, all are summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Last edited:
Yeah, Orleander, Paul says something about that problem in the New Testament.

The 'law' was a school master to show mankind what we need is God's grace.

Seems that the Old Testament laws weren't enough so they kept adding new ones in the New Testament just to keep the common folk guessing. Strange isn't it that with all of those laws we still have so much disregard for other people who don't see it the way the Bible puts it. Hypocrisy is the main problem with who profess they follow the "good " book.

For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, all are summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

"God is love." Jesus is God. Therefore, Jesus is the "fulfillment of the law"-->"by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses." ("by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by (reading) the law is the (self) knowledge of sin.

"He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk (act...live) just as He walked.":

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails...

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing."

Last edited:
What are the more than 700 rules and prohibitions identified in the Good Book?

What are the more than 700 rules and prohibitions identified in the Good Book?

Last edited:

Whoever wrote these words did not apparently even know that there were Ten (10) Commandments plus many hundreds of commandments more in addition to these basics.

That alone is more than a little strange!

The Law (which according to Jesus is still in full force) requires death without mercy in many, many cases, not Love. I guess you are supposed to love your neighbor as you throw that boulder that crushes their skull.

I am confused!

You speak as though one year is enough to summon all life. He has failed to follow bible, because following rules of Bible is following rules all throughout life.

Blasphemy has no boundaries.

Buy his book, but can you retain your soul? Can you retain your sins?

you just cast the first stone.

Pfft I knew that.

But the soul that doeth aught with a high hand, whether he be home-born or a sojourner, the same blasphemeth Jehovah; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Ah you see?
The light dawns (or maybe not).
You're misreading ME and assuming I'm misreading you.
And still in the pseudo-whatever mode of writing...

You're misreading ME and assuming I'm misreading you.
And still in the pseudo-whatever mode of writing...

No, you're simply following the script...
492881367_afdb30247e_m.jpg

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
One assumption after another...

Have you thought of "that, thou sayest truly"?
Or even "that, thou hast said truly"?

Back