Biblical authenticity

The Noachian myth says:
All flesh that moved on the earth perished, birds and cattle and beasts and every swarming thing that swarms upon the earth, and all mankind; of all that was on the dry land, all in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, died. [...] Thus He blotted out every living thing that was upon the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky, and they were blotted out from the earth; and only Noah was left, together with those that were with him in the ark.

There's nothing in the passage that suggests anything but genocide from your 'loving' god.

This is a myth that originated from earlier myths and stories from much earlier cultures, namely the Sumerians.

The bible is a collection of mythology. Period. The fascinating thing is the weaseling language you keep using: "if I water my plants, I 'flood the earth'?" What bollocks. I can't wait to see how you justify the passage in your mythology where your gods stop the world from rotating for a full day.

ggazoo said:
If you're talking about the flood being a myth,I've heard that before too. And, again, it's misunderstanding the Bible, and/or taking it literally.

IMO, the flood happened, but it was localized. When the Bible says that God "flooded the earth", it deosn't say the "whole earth". If I water my plants, I "flood the earth" too.

Is that what you were referring to?

Yes, floods do happen, and they are generally localized. So what?

The myth part is that a flood covered the earth, Noah existed, an ark was built and near every species of animals, insects, etc., both male and female were led into it.

swivel said:
I wonder what the author of your link would make of this link:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/proph/long.html

(this is a brilliant site that everyone interested in these pointless debates simply must bookmark)

I have to say I do not agree with the word 'brilliant'.

Before examining some of the specifics, a general point.

If, as some of you believe, the New Testament is a fiction made up to fool people long after the events, do you not think that the people doing it would know their own scriptures (often learnt by heart in the days before many books) well enough not to misquote or misunderstand them. Is it really more likely that some cursory glance of an English translation many centuries later would be likely to expose errors by people who lived and breathed the culture and religion described and spoke and fully understood the original language?
Is this really likely?

Now for a few specifics:

Fom Isaiah 7:14: The Hebrew word almah does not only mean 'young woman' but also 'virgin'. This myth was perpetrated by Judaism post the advent of Christianity to attack the New Testament. In fact of course as far as Heberew culture of the time was concerned a 'young woman' would mean an unmarried one and that would automatically mean a virgin, so they are actually synonymous. Note also this is meant to be 'a sign'. A young woman who was not a virgin giving birth would hardly represent a sign from God and has been known to happen many times!!
To absolutely confirm what the passage meant to the Jews of the time, the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures which was compiled many years before Christ) uses the Greek word parthenos which always means a virgin and not just a young woman (Greek morals were somewhat different!)

As for Jehoiachin being listed in Matthew as being Jesus' ancestor and thus Jesus; messiahship breaking a prophesy, in Jeremiah 22 the prophecy reads,
This is what the LORD says:
"Record this man as if childless,
a man who will not prosper in his lifetime,
for none of his offspring will prosper,
none will sit on the throne of David
or rule anymore in Judah."

Matthew is recording the lineage of Joseph who of course was not the physical natural father of Jesus only hils legal father (technically a step-father) so Jesus was not the offspring (a physical thing) of Jehoiachin so the prophecy is not broken.

Matthew allegedly misquotes a scripture from Zechariah as from Jeremiah but the present (modern) system was not used by the Jews of that time to refer to their scripture. It was often referred to by the section so the beginning would be Moses, the middle would be Psalms even if it was not a Psalm, likewise the prophets (irrespective of which) would be Jeremiah (note the precise order was different too) etc. This can be chacked out in the case of other references and surely you cannot believe that these people were so stupid that they did not know what was a psalm and what was not!

Many of the prophesies are described as having not happened. Could that be because they are stll to happen?

In many passages it is assumed that there is only a reference to one point in time and one set of characters but this is not how literature was written and references to multiple times, events and peoples are often encapsulated in the same section. There is deliberately no attempt at chronology nor even separation between past, present and future. They did not write books then the way we do now!!

If anyone wants to debate any individual items, I should be happy to do so but I think this post is already long enough!

regards,

Gordon.

ggazoo,

Well, your post over on IIDB has been comprehensively trashed.

Did you ever intend to answer?

Or do you just post your preaching on various sites and then leave without seeing it proven wrong?

Iasion

Back