Bertuzzi hit

Moore's hit was clean though. The only reall issue is perhaps a judgement call, a courtesy, to not hit a player while he is in a vulnerable position on Moore's part. However, he was just finishing a check.

Idle...

Your position is valid. But only in the context of hockey. There is a larger more prevelant context being ignored - accountability and responsibility to society, not just hockey..

I love the game of hockey; I play it, watch it and discuss it (hence right now). As a kid I emulated players and teams alike - I was Henderson in 72(at least I pretended to be as a kid). Prof. Hockeys' influence goes far beyond the arena, locker rooms and benches. For that reason we must consider it in the larger context.

Mr. Bertuzzi 'should' be the fall guy for all others like him. He's the one who should be made an example of. I don't think he should ever play prof. hockey again. He must take responsibility for his actions by being held accountable to the larger context.

I don't agree. He shouldn't be out for longer than Moore is. If Steve Moore doesn't lace up the skates as a result of this incident, then neither does Bertuzzi. That would be fair. However, everything is still up in the air at this point, so it is too extreme to take that kind of action at this point in time. Also, depending on what the Vancouver Police decide to do, his suspension could be extended to a year (like in the McSorley case).

Last edited:
Idle...

In the context of hockey I respect your opinion and it makes sense. Yes, we'll have to wait and see what the larger context (Police) do..

Cheers.

oh man i was just reading the newspaper...which brought up a valid point...why did hitchcock of philly not get fined for syaing that "[havlat better watch it]"?

Oh and even though I don't like Don cherry he also brought up a point..regarding rookie coach Tony Granato of the avs...Granato knew there was bad blood between the two teams last time and he left moore out there unprotected. Cherry said Worrell was still sitting on the bench. This parallels the OTT, PHI game except these two coaches had their tough guys out on the ice at the end of the game.

Smackdown

(Note: I really should read both pages of the topic before posting. I see that most of what follows has already been covered.)

Saw a similar episode in the playoffs several years ago; Flyers and Redwings, or maybe Flyers and Devils. At any rate, as the puck cleared down the ice and the referees skated with the action, the last people left on one end of the ice were the goalkeeper, another player of indeterminate position--Doug Sheppard; I remember the incident, but I'm not that big a hockey fan to remember Sheppard's position, or anyone else's name--and a Flyer. The Flyer skated up behind Sheppard and took a baseball swing with his stick. Sheppard was knocked instantly unconscious and swayed on his feet, skating slowly for about ten feet until he collapsed in a heap on the ice. No penalty, and therefore no fine or suspension.

Remember that there has already been one hockey prosecution in recent years, stemming from an incident in Vancouver, as I recall.

Throughout pro sports, I think that if you intentionally injure someone, you should be suspended at least as long as it takes for them to return to the ice. If you end their career, you also end your own. Hockey would have some difficulty with this; baseball would suffer as Pedro Martinez could no longer arbitrarily try to kill people in the box; American football could actually profit from such a rule.

Last edited:
No penalty, and therefore no fine or suspension.
The league can take action even if there is no penalty called on the play. I don't know of the incident you are talking about though.
Remember that there has already been one hockey prosecution in recent years, stemming from an incident in Vancouver, as I recall.
Yes, when Marty McSorley hit Donald Brashear in the head. Originally the league gave a 23 game suspension, but extended it to one year in lieu of the charges. The Vancouver Police charged McSorley for assault with a weapon, and he received 18 months probation.

I imagine Bertuzzi's suspension will also be dependent on what the VPD does.

fireguy_31 said:
Idle...
There is a larger more prevelant context being ignored - accountability and responsibility to society, not just hockey..

I completely agree with you. Hockey players and all sports figures should be held to an even higher standard than the average joe. I keep thinking of 8-12 year old boys who look up to these guys. What message are they getting when everyone acceptes the role of "enforces" in hockey? I always believed that sports (any sport) develops and teaches discipline to kids -- a valuable tool they must use in life. It is very dangerous when an individual, team, or league itself goes out of control.
I've been a hockey fan all my life an I don't understand why there has to be fighting in hockey. I'm not too optimitic about hockey being cleaned up though. It's already becoming less popular in the US market, and I'm afraid one of the greatest appeals for Americans is the dirty fighting.

Not to me. I might like the game a bit more if there wasn't as much fighting. I can tolerate a bit of bumping, shoving, but things like this are being toleration. Athletes, as dsdsds said, are role models for many kids. And having kids look up to violent people like this is not something I'd like to do. We can only hope that there will be a crackdown on the amount of tolerated violence sometime soon, eh?

I admit the violence isnt great for the youth, but its part of the sport and a good part, obviously older people value the skill level more though, i think its fine as it is, after all its no worse than american football or soccer, they can all get a bit violent at times, its called men being men and trying to prove they are top man.

Football & soccer are not violent. Boxing isn't violent either (unless one guy bites another guy's ear off). We're talking about following the written rules of the game. And the rules of any sport are based on fair play and emphasize personal or team skill.

I shall clarify what i said as i dont think it came across right. The violence in hockey(and to an extent american football) is fine if its in the rules and people watching understand that, thing is theres violence in soccer(outside of the rules), when theres often a player that decides an elbow in somebodys face is a good idea, or breaking someones leg on purpose, i dont see this as any worse than bertuzzi's hit, they are all uncalled for in the context of the game and its rules. I meant to point out that these all get equal press coverage whether inside the rules of the game or not, i feel soccer is quite violent considering the amount of times players do something outside the rules.

Back