Bending Light

That's crap but Albert Einstein did design a hat out of a single piece of cloth using a mathmanical theorum. It illustrated the way a massive object bends space around it.

i can't remember seing a picture of albert einstien wearing a cloth hat!
:)
want it one of tesla's aprentices that did the philly?

groove on all :)

Originally posted by James R
river-wind:

Huygens' wavelet model of light explains the shortest-time features of the propagation of light pretty well.

If you want a more modern explanation, Feynman's sum over histories does a good job. In his model, light tries all the paths, but only one is observed because all the non-shortest-time paths interfere destructively with each other.

thanks for the suggestions. I read Feynman's QED back in HS, and I remember reading this bit. IIRC, though, it sort of assumed that light was exsisting out of time- in order for only the one path to be observed, all paths are tried, but interfere w/ each other destructively. The light must be trying all the paths first, before it does any of them. What boggle my mind is that in order to do this, the future path of the photon must exsist at all times, while the position of the photon along that path changes with time. :bugeye:

While I can grasp the idea cognitively, it doesn't fully gib with GR, in my mind...

Back