Belief in god?

Dreamwalker

Whatever
Valued Senior Member
A question I want to ask:

Why do you believe in god? Or even more important, why do you see god from the christian, muslim, hindu, and so on... perspective?

I can understand the basic belief in god as an explanation from where this universe and from where we come from. That someone believes in a higher force that was the source of creation is understandable and perhaps reasonable.

Alas, I do not understand why people believe in a god pictured by old and not very convincing myths and scriptures. I am curious why people follow these beliefs, no matter if they are muslim, christian or anything else. I do not even care if you believe in more than one god or if you pray to idols. I am just curios what your motivations are.

(BTW,I do not give an answer to this question because I do not believe in god(s))

I can not give you an answer because it does not matter to anyone else but myself. However, I hope you'll find the truth yourself one day :)

Before I forgett it, I do not want anyone trying to convert me. OK?
And of course I understand that for some this question may be to private.
(....whew, I was just about to write something obscene as an answer, but I better do not.. :D)

Dreamwalker said:
I can understand the basic belief in god as an explanation from where this universe and from where we come from.
But why?

Question: Where did the Universe come from?

Answer:
  1. I don't know.
  2. God did it.
Do you honestly see answer #2 providing more information than #1? And what happens if we then define God as "that that we do not yet understand"?

It seems to me that "God did it" is not an answer, but a place-holder awaiting one.

I think the answer to your question, Dreamwalker, is usually "Because my parents believed it." Indoctrination or brain washing is probably the most prevalent reason. Here in the US the culture is saturated with Christianity and morality derivative thereof. A lot of people just accept it, too busy with other things to question, perhaps. Now you do hear the occasional story of someone suddenly finding some faith or another after not having any for most of their life. Sometimes this is preceded by a catastrophe in ones life, and I suppose temporary insanity is a fine reason to convert to a faith. But when there is no catastrophe to need some helpful role-playing to help you deal with, and you suddenly find a faith anyway... well I really can't account for situations like that. Do people just decide to leave their critical faculties behind? Maybe they didn't have them to begin with and were just sitting on the fence looking for which clique they would like to be in the most. Its probably a social pressures kind of thing.

Here is another question.

Why do atheists try to answer this question that is obviously directed at people who believe in God. :confused: :D

Why do you believe in god?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I can't tell you all how happy I am to see someone use "A lot" correctly instead of using "alot". Maybe I'm anal retentive about that particular set of words cause my Mum is, but people on this forum so frequently misspell "a lot" it's great to see someone who spells it correctly.

Thank you SpyMoose.

That also leads into why I think people believe what they believe- their parents instil it. Just like my Mum and "a lot", people don't choose religion, their parents do. From then on it's hardwired into that person and is so much of who they are that thinking without a god is detrimental to their whole 'being'.

Why do atheists try to answer this question that is obviously directed at people who believe in God.
It's winter and the holidays and I have no where to be or anything else to do. It's a boredom thing mainly.

Adstar said:
Why do atheists try to answer this question that is obviously directed at people who believe in God.

This is a mighty good question!

I can only speak for myself: I think that as an agnostic (to define myself somehow, although I am aware that that label may not be the best one to describe myself), I don't have a set of scriptures and firm beliefs I could always turn to as to The Authority -- the way for example a Christian can turn to the Bible.

When facing a believer, it is also about the facing of my scriptures and beliefs with the scriptures and beliefs of the believer. My beliefs and scriptures are incomplete, while his are complete (in the sense of having a finite book).

It is normal that I feel "less" somehow in this comparison. And unless I have a very strong character, I will try to *compensate* this "being less" by debating religion with the believer.

Being an agnostic and debating about religion with religious people shows that the agnostic is not completely sure about his beliefs.
Which is to an extent normal and inavoidable, as agnosticism has the immanent trait of being somewhat undefined and insecure.

I guess that in the end, it is a character thing: Strength of character is what you do in the third and the furth try.

Also ...

I think that the way one is debating God is a matter of attitude:

Our attitude is most evident when we talk about things that we cannot measure with scientific measurements.
If something cannot be measured in meters, kilograms, becquerels or aengstroms and such -- then it can only be measured in attitude.

Does one belittle it? Does one make it great? Does one doubt it? Does one find it beautiful -- or ugly? Is one indifferent towards it?

If you know that someone doesn't know you (say another poster on this forum) -- What attitude would you like them to have towards you?

Would you like them to belittle you? Would you like them to love you? Would you like them to think you are great? Would you like them to respect you? ...

I guess that once one asks oneself such questions, it becomes rather easy to think about God and the
Universe.

To clarify something ConsequentAtheist. In this thread it was not my aim to discuss the creation of the universe and gods possible part in this. I want to know why people believe in a christian, muslim ... perspective of god(s).

I do agree that the question why and by whom the universe was created is much more interesting, but it is not the aim of this thread.

And SpyMoose, I had the same ideas and opinions you stated. But I wanted to see if I am right or wrong. I do not want to give in to prejudices.

ConsequentAtheist said:
It seems to me that "God did it" is not an answer, but a place-holder awaiting one.

The Law of Conservation of Matter & Energy states that matter / energy can not be created or destroyed. So what other explanation is there than a "supreme being" involved?

What annoys me is there are so many religions and so many gods . . . are we all praying to the same god or are there an endless amount of gods?

aw3524 said:
The Law of Conservation of Matter & Energy states that matter / energy can not be created or destroyed. So what other explanation is there than a "supreme being" involved?
It means, perhaps, that our understanding of the law is naive, or that the law does not apply. Scientific laws are not constraints but, rather, explanations.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
-- Charles Darwin, Introduction to The Descent of Man (1871)​

Christianity is not a perspective of God.

There is no such thing as a God of Christianity, and if there is, he is Satanic in every aspect.

The true God is not limited as such, but rather sovereign, as the definition correctly leads us to believe.

He is the God of Christ, the God of Christians, the God of Muslims, the God of Buddhists. Just because one or the other may reject him doesn't mean He is not their God because they have chosen a different 'god'.

I serve Christ.

aw3524 said:

What annoys me is there are so many religions and so many gods . . . are we all praying to the same god or are there an endless amount of gods?

For a detailed debunking of that justifaction for God:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=37043

§outh§tar said:
He is the God of Christ, the God of Christians, the God of Muslims, the God of Buddhists. Just because one or the other may reject him doesn't mean He is not their God because they have chosen a different 'god'.

I serve Christ.

Fun. You're still worshipping a version of God, btw. Your belief that your god is <i>the</i> god is anything but special.

Also, if Christianity is not a perspective of God, how do you regard all the different denominations within it? Is there just one sect that has the complete picture, or are they, I don't know, different perspectives? Just curious.

Josh

Southstar,

Your perspective isn’t very accurate.

Christianity is not a perspective of God.
Although, this is true. Christianity is simply another variation of a god concept. But note also that “God” (upper case G) is simply the name of the Christian god.

There is no such thing as a God of Christianity, and if there is, he is Satanic in every aspect.
This seems a little confused. Satan is just another of the gods from Christian mythology, an evil god for sure, but still just an image of another powerful supernatural mythological character.

The true God is not limited as such, but rather sovereign, as the definition correctly leads us to believe.
Whose true god? Every theistic religion claims their god is the one true god. Your claim carries no more weight or truth than theirs, if any.

He is the God of Christ, the God of Christians, the God of Muslims, the God of Buddhists.
Buddhists aren’t particularly hot on god concepts, and Muslims don’t believe their god has a triple split personality like the Christian god. Each theistic religion has created its own imaginative variation of a god concept where each has quite different personalities, properties and characteristics. But these properties conflict with the properties from the other religions. If such a “one” god existed then it would be so screwed up that it would need to spend all its time in a psychiatric hospital.

Just because one or the other may reject him doesn't mean He is not their God because they have chosen a different 'god'.
Well yeah it does. If they have chosen a different concept then they have certainly rejected your variation, right?

I serve Christ.
No you don’t. You only serve the idea of Christ. Christ is only a character from a fairy story.

Kat

The fact that we are each unique human individuals complicates any discussion which revolves around abstract concepts. No matter how we clarify and discuss with words and language, we can never really communicate the context in which we think and believe.

Originally posted by Dreamwalker:
Why do you believe in god?

Every belief we have is based on our own unique life experience. I believe what I believe because of the evidence I have perceived.

"I can say 'My God' but that is not my god, that is only noise which is no more potent than any other noise."

Katazia said:
Southstar,

Your perspective isn’t very accurate.

Although, this is true. Christianity is simply another variation of a god concept. But note also that “God” (upper case G) is simply the name of the Christian god.

Simply showing respect for God.

This seems a little confused. Satan is just another of the gods from Christian mythology, an evil god for sure, but still just an image of another powerful supernatural mythological character.

You're determining the Almighty Godhead to be mythological :confused:

A state of denial: (Romans 1)

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23

Two points I would like to address here:

The first verse (18), points to rebellious man (in this case you) who suppress the truth. But note that the writer, penning God's inspired words, did not refer to the Father of lights as "God of the Christians" but as God.

And the lastVerse 22 is pretty much self explanatory. Don't lean on your own "
understanding" or what you believe to be understanding..

Whose true god? Every theistic religion claims their god is the one true god. Your claim carries no more weight or truth than theirs, if any.

Did I not just say there is no God of Christianity???

Buddhists aren’t particularly hot on god concepts, and Muslims don’t believe their god has a triple split personality like the Christian god. Each theistic religion has created its own imaginative variation of a god concept where each has quite different personalities, properties and characteristics. But these properties conflict with the properties from the other religions. If such a “one” god existed then it would be so screwed up that it would need to spend all its time in a psychiatric hospital.

Thank you for pointing out those tidbits but thankfully you got the gist of what I was trying to say. It is important to remember, God is not defined by man. God reveals Himself to man. All other viewpoints of God are heresy.

Remember: (Galatians 1)

6I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

Any "religion" that does not glorify the risen Messian according to what He has revealed to us is heretic and shameful.

Well yeah it does. If they have chosen a different concept then they have certainly rejected your variation, right?

You keep maintaining this idea of "my variation" even though I insisted there is no such thing as a "God of Christianity". They have rejected the ONE true God.

No you don’t. You only serve the idea of Christ. Christ is only a character from a fairy story.

And now I see that your critism came from a stance of denial. Denial of Christ.

:(

Romans and Galations have no authority beyond the authority imagined by those who inanely insist that 2 Timothy is inerrant because 2 Timothy suggests that 2 Timothy is inerrant.

way to miss the point entirely southstar. but furthermore, way to clarify your bias toward your god of your book of your perspective. :rolleyes:

and to everyone else, sorry for the off-topic nature of the post, but i really am in no position to respond to the initial question.

Back