belief in an afterlife

.....The thread is about afterlife ..

Great discussions (well mostly).

Unfortunately issues with broadband have stopped much online activity, including any responses.

However, if one must be pedantic, the thread is actually about handling issues in the here and now IF you do not believe in an afterlife.

Me: "because I do believe in the principle of 'cosmic balance' (or karma), rather than 'heaven' per se, it makes it easier to live with the inequities and challenges of living now.

How do non-believers handle the same issues?"

Examples of inequities could include invading countries illegally, making millions while destroying the planet, murdering and so forth.

How would those who do not believe in an afterlife feel if the 'guilty' got away with it? Would that not set a precedent for others to copy?

Maybe belief in an 'afterlife' (great explanations from Taken2extremes that I can empathise with btw, although Cris would no doubt think I was being a credulous fool) can help to redress the balance?

Lightgigantic: I also perceive your comment as a retreat behind the bunkers

What from you? Hardly. I made my point and you refused to address it. Sarkus picked it up correctly and then you still failed to address it. You can believe what you want but it still doesn't make it 'reality'. We do not profess to 'know' what we do not we simply are able to think critically without blind acceptance.

Lightgigantic: You reveal your bias when you have insufficent knowledge at hand to begin to understand a phenomena and express full confidence about how other ideas (other ideas that you are not even familiar with in any great detail) are "fantasy"

But LG don't you see that you also reveal a bias based on insufficent knowledge? You are fundamentally religious are you not? What ACTUAL knowledge do you have of the afterlife other than the religious doctrine you feed yourself? What in your own personal experience has convinced you of an afterlife outside of belief? I simply say I don't know and doubt there is anything outside of the nitrogen cycle you pretend to not understand. Do you think it possible to believe in 'god' and not believe in an afterlife?

Last edited:
ggazoo:there is a hell of a lot of hallucination of fairies and dragons etc, are they real too.
"do talk sense."

But LG don't you see that you also reveal a bias based on insufficent knowledge? You are fundamentally religious are you not? What ACTUAL knowledge do you have of the afterlife other than the religious doctrine you feed yourself? What in your own personal experience has convinced you of an afterlife outside of belief?
Careful - you'll be treated to his epistemology tirade in a moment. ;)

It would at least have to be coherent in order for it to be postmodernist.

But surely all creatures strive to survive, and isnt that mearly a battle to sustain the self above all else?
I would not use the word 'battle'. Actually, I would not use any word that implied a teleological process of any kind. It's unnecessary to describe nature as having a goal that it is making an effort to reach; not only does this personify nature, it may have unforeseen logical implications that invalidate it.

heliocentric said:
I think what im talking about here is really an instinctual or visceral sense of self, a great deal of animals wouldnt have something as complex as a cognative sense of self though, that id agree with.
What are the characteristics of this sense of self? As with ascribing a goal to nature, proposing self-awareness for "lower" organisms should have certain logical consequences that are empirically verifiable.

While the unpredictable nature of quanta seems mind-like, it strikes me that there should be more to consciousness than simple randomness. There are subjective, qualitative aspects to consciousness, the very experience of being prominently among them. To say that all matter has this subjective experience in some way is like stating a case for God; you can neither prove nor disprove it. It makes no difference whether it is true or not. So what else leads you to believe that this must be the case?

I've seen to many accounts of ghosts for there not to be something out there.

You know what is funny about most accounts? I know several people who have told me they have seen a ghost, but they all share something in common: They are all middle aged working class females who are already infatuated with the supernatural and go to see the 'psychic' crazy that comes to town and says "Does anybody have a loved one who's name starts with 'M'"?

These people tell you about their accounts of seeing a ghost like the kid at school who say's his dad drives a Ferrari - they give the long, slow, reassuring nod of the head, spoken with all the calmness that demands you take them seriously.

It's well documented that people either see what they want to see, misinterpret natural phenomena or simply invent a story for a variety of motives. It's all in the imagination of a superstitious mind... I have to wonder why it is almost always human ghosts, in almost always creepy environments, or if the person is half asleep or on some sort of drug.

Why no cases of a ghostly fleas, starfish or aardvark?

It would at least have to be coherent in order for it to be postmodernist.

I would not use the word 'battle'. Actually, I would not use any word that implied a teleological process of any kind. It's unnecessary to describe nature as having a goal that it is making an effort to reach; not only does this personify nature, it may have unforeseen logical implications that invalidate it.
Well 'battle' was just a word i picked out the air, obviously at root im talking about the inherent self-survival/preservation that all living organism demonstrate. There must be a sense of self in order for there to be an underlying will to sustain it.

What are the characteristics of this sense of self? As with ascribing a goal to nature, proposing self-awareness for "lower" organisms should have certain logical consequences that are empirically verifiable.
The pure act of self-survival should be all empirical evidence you would need of a demonstration of self. How could self-survival work without a sense of self?
Just imagine how absurd it would be if organisms didnt have a sense of self; we might see scenes like organisms gathering food and simply handing it over to other organisms unsure of who the 'me' is thats hungry and is supposed to get getting fed.

While the unpredictable nature of quanta seems mind-like, it strikes me that there should be more to consciousness than simple randomness. There are subjective, qualitative aspects to consciousness, the very experience of being prominently among them.
To say that all matter has this subjective experience in some way is like stating a case for God; you can neither prove nor disprove it. It makes no difference whether it is true or not. So what else leads you to believe that this must be the case?
I dont believe it must be the case that basic matter is self-aware, i just lean toward the opinion that it is based on current scientific understanding in regards to quantum mechanics.
I also cant help but think its absurd to divide the universe into non-living/living non-conscious/conscious matter. It seems more like a game we play based on the recognition not of consciousness but on the recognition of our specific type of consciousness. If we reduce the basic component of consciousness down to awareness and the ability to distinguish the self from the non-self then we can see that even basic photons are aware.

Last edited:
It's well documented that people either see what they want to see, misinterpret natural phenomena or simply invent a story for a variety of motives. It's all in the imagination of a superstitious mind... I have to wonder why it is almost always human ghosts, in almost always creepy environments, or if the person is half asleep or on some sort of drug.
Its well documented that when something is experienced that lies outside of our current model of reality a chorus of people will always claim hallucination/fraud/incompetence.
These things should be taken into account, but it should be also be taken into account that something genuine has been experienced as well. Otherwise any kind of understanding of our universe comes to a complete halt because we cant except or consider anything that violates our static 'world-view'.

Lg,

The argument is simple - you say that there is no evidence (meaning evidence by the reductionist molecular paradigm) for god - I point out that such a paradigm doesn't even accommodate the notion of the mind.
Well no not really. My assertion is that there is no credible evidence of any type for gods, whether you use reductionism or not, I’m really not particular. And as for the mind – this appears to be an emergent property of a physical brain, and again there seems no reason to suspect or propose anything else.

Then you are either not familiar with the level of understanding in neurology or you have access to knowledge not available to the experts in the field - can you provide one credible link (excludes isaac asimov) as evidence that the self as context is concomitant on the brain?
So I began this discussion with a fundamental statement about credibility which is my primary point. It is not that we know how self is generated but that there is no credible alternative to a physical perspective. I.e. a supernatural theist speculation has no precedent or even a hint at a possibility, so why suggest it?

“ Theism is based on faith (absence of evidence). ”

So is any field of knowledge, particularly in th e beginning stages
No, that is false. Faith is the conviction that something is true in the absence of evidence, this is an irrational approach. A rational approach is to speculate about the possibility then search for evidence in order to form a hypothesis. At no point in the process does one rationally assume the speculation is true, and even if evidence is found and a theory is developed, the issue will remain open to question, and will often remain as inductive conclusions with varying degrees of strength.

At the moment we are at the point of discussing what processes of knowledge constitutes evidence - until we resolve your fixation on the reductionist paradigm (which cannot even determine the nature of such self evident articles as the mind) we can't make much progress
All you are saying here is that you have no way to show that a supernatural concept is a valid alternative to a natural universe but that you insist that everyone else accepts the idea as if it is a valid alternative. Surely the onus must be on you to show that there is anything else other than a material paradigm.

well since these "entirely physical" paradigms don't even accommodate the mind,
But they do as I’ve explained above.

its difficult for you to even clearly understand how that the conceptualized self emerges from the brain, what to speak of the self as context.
Do you not understand the concept of an emergent property? For example; take a quantity of bricks and build a house with them. They remain a quantity of bricks but when arranged in a certain combination a house emerges. Similarly given a quantity of neurons and a particular arrangement, a mind emerges.

Well I guess a simple beginning would be to just examine the self as context even in one life - the body we had as a baby is completely different form the body we will have as an old man - physically they are completely different, yet we still retain the same sense of self - even though we were completely physically different we acknowledge that it is the same person in the photo album.
But only if the brain remains intact. For example damage to the brain could result in amnesia. While the photos would remain there would be no recognition of the younger self. Other diseases of the brain could also destroy ability to think, to use memory, to realize identity, etc. And note that in early childhood there is no self-awareness or recognition of identity until sufficient neurons have connected. All of this tends to indicate that self is a product of the physical brain rather than as something independent.

I think you missed what was in the articles - particularly the one on Pibram (you may have to take a few of the links to get the background knowledge).
Basically they make the stand, which cannot be refuted, that there is no evidence to suggest that the brain is the source of self as context.
Apart from overwhelming inductive correlation between healthy brain function, damaged brain, and resultant effects. And additionally there is no credible alternative offered.

Cris

“ The argument is simple - you say that there is no evidence (meaning evidence by the reductionist molecular paradigm) for god - I point out that such a paradigm doesn't even accommodate the notion of the mind. ”

Well no not really. My assertion is that there is no credible evidence of any type for gods, whether you use reductionism or not, I’m really not particular.
I haven't seen you step one foot out of the reductionist paradigm - you insist that the self as context is a material phenomena (electrons, neurons etc) and that this points to no evidence of god - my point is that this doesn't even indicate the mind.

And as for the mind – this appears to be an emergent property of a physical brain, and again there seems no reason to suspect or propose anything else.
No reason if you don't examine the data at hand I am sure ...

“ Then you are either not familiar with the level of understanding in neurology or you have access to knowledge not available to the experts in the field - can you provide one credible link (excludes isaac asimov) as evidence that the self as context is concomitant on the brain? ”

So I began this discussion with a fundamental statement about credibility which is my primary point. It is not that we know how self is generated but that there is no credible alternative to a physical perspective.
This is an example of your rigidity within the reductionist paradigm - you have also just destroyed any premise for the mind because it doesn't fall within the physical perspective

I.e. a supernatural theist speculation has no precedent or even a hint at a possibility, so why suggest it?
If you peruse theistic ideas with the same attention you peruse evidence on neurology I can understand why you make such statements

“ “ Theism is based on faith (absence of evidence). ”

So is any field of knowledge, particularly in th e beginning stages ”

No, that is false. Faith is the conviction that something is true in the absence of evidence, this is an irrational approach.
You mean like when a student makes the decision to study physics on the basis of being enamoured by the concept of electrons and protons?

A rational approach is to speculate about the possibility
sounds like faith to me ....

then search for evidence in order to form a hypothesis.
... followed by practical application - the same as any bona fide tehistic endeavour

At no point in the process does one rationally assume the speculation is true,
True enough to search for evidence - ie faith

and even if evidence is found and a theory is developed, the issue will remain open to question, and will often remain as inductive conclusions with varying degrees of strength.
all made possible by exhibiting the initial stage of faith

“ At the moment we are at the point of discussing what processes of knowledge constitutes evidence - until we resolve your fixation on the reductionist paradigm (which cannot even determine the nature of such self evident articles as the mind) we can't make much progress ”

All you are saying here is that you have no way to show that a supernatural concept is a valid alternative to a natural universe
But your "natural universe" doesn't even include the mind

but that you insist that everyone else accepts the idea as if it is a valid alternative.
No

As I said above, we are at the stage of determining whether the reductionist paradigm is the absolute method for determining every facet about reality

Surely the onus must be on you to show that there is anything else other than a material paradigm.
Before we get in to that part seriously, we must examine what constitutes evidence - if you wan to say "prove god by the reductionist paradigm" it is not surprising that it will no bear any results since such a paradigm has many weaknesses (or does your faith prevent you from seeing that?)

“ well since these "entirely physical" paradigms don't even accommodate the mind, ”

But they do as I’ve explained above.
lol - really?
I must have missed a link somewhere ....

“ its difficult for you to even clearly understand how that the conceptualized self emerges from the brain, what to speak of the self as context. ”

Do you not understand the concept of an emergent property? For example; take a quantity of bricks and build a house with them. They remain a quantity of bricks but when arranged in a certain combination a house emerges. Similarly given a quantity of neurons and a particular arrangement, a mind emerges.
This analogy actually illustrates the opposite - you can show clear evidence of the relationship between a brick and a brick house - Can you show equally clear evidence between neurons and electrons and why a mother crocadile rolls her eggs in her mouth to assist the hatchlings to emerge?

“ Well I guess a simple beginning would be to just examine the self as context even in one life - the body we had as a baby is completely different form the body we will have as an old man - physically they are completely different, yet we still retain the same sense of self - even though we were completely physically different we acknowledge that it is the same person in the photo album. ”

But only if the brain remains intact.
With or without memory, it is understood to be the same self - do criminals get out free from crimes by pleading forgetfulness? Why?

For example damage to the brain could result in amnesia. While the photos would remain there would be no recognition of the younger self. Other diseases of the brain could also destroy ability to think, to use memory, to realize identity, etc. And note that in early childhood there is no self-awareness or recognition of identity until sufficient neurons have connected. All of this tends to indicate that self is a product of the physical brain rather than as something independent.
And this is all the conceptualized self which is contingent on the self as context - the self as context is like the canvas and the conceptualized self is like the paint on the canvas - no matter what shape the painting is in, its on a cavas

“ I think you missed what was in the articles - particularly the one on Pibram (you may have to take a few of the links to get the background knowledge).
Basically they make the stand, which cannot be refuted, that there is no evidence to suggest that the brain is the source of self as context. ”

Apart from overwhelming inductive correlation between healthy brain function, damaged brain, and resultant effects. And additionally there is no credible alternative offered.
You can only make such claims because you cannot properly distinguish between the self as context and the conceptualized self

LG,

..you cannot properly distinguish between the self as context and the conceptualized self
This is LG gibberish again. What is the correct translation so that I can appropriately respond?

LG,

I have a naturalistic worldview because I see no reason to suppose there is anything else. Can you demonstrate that there is something else?

Can you demonstrate anything that indicates that a soul might exist?

Speculation is to ask the question “could this be true”. Contrast that with faith that asserts “this is true” but there is no evidence. I hope you now understand the difference.

Do not confuse a physical body with self. If the brain is sufficiently damaged then the self will cease to exist. A prime example is a person in a comatose vegetative state.

What would constitute non-naturalistic evidence?

Cris

I have a naturalistic worldview because I see no reason to suppose there is anything else. Can you demonstrate that there is something else?
How can you determine that what you write off as a naturalistic world view accommodates everything in the phenomenal world ?

Can you demonstrate anything that indicates that a soul might exist?
certainly not by your "naturalistic worldview", since it excludes such rudimentary articles like the mind

Speculation is to ask the question “could this be true”. Contrast that with faith that asserts “this is true” but there is no evidence. I hope you now understand the difference.
If you want to exclude faith from knowledge acquiring you cannot even catch a bus (since to catch a bus you would have to have faith it would take you where you want to go)

Do not confuse a physical body with self. If the brain is sufficiently damaged then the self will cease to exist.
Same thing will happen if you do sufficient damage to the lungs, kindey, liver, colon, heart, trachea etc etc

A prime example is a person in a comatose vegetative state.
the fact that people can sometimes come out of such vegetative states proves the opposite (if a person enters a vegetative state due to suffering an essential loss of self, which according to you is damage to the brain, how would it be possible for them to come out of it unless the actual "self" had recourse to something else to take shelter while the brain is in a state of disrepair?)

What would constitute non-naturalistic evidence?
The question is whether "naturalistic evidence" (reductionism) is synomous with what constitutes the phenomenal world ...

LG,

How can you determine that what you write off as a naturalistic world view accommodates everything in the phenomenal world?
What does “phenomenal world" mean?

Is there any reason to suspect there is anything non-natural?

“ Can you demonstrate anything that indicates that a soul might exist? ”

certainly not by your "naturalistic worldview", since it excludes such rudimentary articles like the mind
Can you demonstrate a soul by any method?

If you want to exclude faith from knowledge acquiring you cannot even catch a bus (since to catch a bus you would have to have faith it would take you where you want to go)
No. You are now confusing faith with inductive reasoning. Do you want me to teach you the difference, or can you figure this problem for yourself?

Same thing will happen if you do sufficient damage to the lungs, kindey, liver, colon, heart, trachea etc etc
Only if they result in brain death. Theoretically you could lose all your body parts but if the brain could be kept alive and healthy then the self could survive. This indicates that brain and self are one and the same thing.

Recovery from a vegetative state is because the brain has been able to repair itself. If the repair is sufficient then this may also result in a reconstituted self.

“ What would constitute non-naturalistic evidence? ”
I have absolutely no idea but you keep inferring that it must exist.

The question is whether "naturalistic evidence" (reductionism) is synomous with what constitutes the phenomenal world ...
No it isn’t. The question is what reason is there to suspect there is anything else.

Cris

“ How can you determine that what you write off as a naturalistic world view accommodates everything in the phenomenal world? ”

What does “phenomenal world" mean?
Nothing more than what it says - the world that grants phenomena

Is there any reason to suspect there is anything non-natural?
There is a reason to suspect that reductionism does not accommodate everything that is natural

“ “ Can you demonstrate anything that indicates that a soul might exist? ”

certainly not by your "naturalistic worldview", since it excludes such rudimentary articles like the mind ”

Can you demonstrate a soul by any method?
Certainly - but as long as you are depnedant on reductionism for your world view it cannot be demonstrated

“ If you want to exclude faith from knowledge acquiring you cannot even catch a bus (since to catch a bus you would have to have faith it would take you where you want to go) ”

No. You are now confusing faith with inductive reasoning. Do you want me to teach you the difference, or can you figure this problem for yourself?
to get back to your original statement

the faith that is required to go from a body of evidence to a surety is called inductive reasoning - if you didn't have faith inductive reasoning would never be able to deliver a result

“ Same thing will happen if you do sufficient damage to the lungs, kindey, liver, colon, heart, trachea etc etc ”

Only if they result in brain death. Theoretically you could lose all your body parts but if the brain could be kept alive and healthy then the self could survive.This indicates that brain and self are one and the same thing.
notice the bold

Recovery from a vegetative state is because the brain has been able to repair itself. If the repair is sufficient then this may also result in a reconstituted self.
return from vegetative states is no always evidenced by brain repair

“ What would constitute non-naturalistic evidence? ” ”

I have absolutely no idea but you keep inferring that it must exist.
you messed up the quotes - that was your q from the previous post - my response to it is below

“ The question is whether "naturalistic evidence" (reductionism) is synomous with what constitutes the phenomenal world ... ”

No it isn’t. The question is what reason is there to suspect there is anything else.
well given the nature of phenomena (like the mind) its diffiuclt to understand how reductionism can lay claim to defining the complete phenomenal world

Back