Being Bystanders

Is it wrong for Countries to be a bystander?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (You've got it wrong Challenger!)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Challenger78

Valued Senior Member
Is it right to stand by and watch while something wrong, hypocritical, and criminally wrong is occurring ?

A lot of us are going to say no.

But, take it to another level. Is it wrong for countries to stand by, and do nothing, while violence, pillage and rape occurs in places such as Africa, Asia and the Middle East ?

So, If it's wrong for individuals to stand by, and do nothing, and if a country is composed of individuals, Is it not wrong for a country to stand by and do nothing ?

Is it right to stand by and watch while something wrong, hypocritical, and criminally wrong is occurring?

Depends on the situation! I would suggest that one might not be able to tell right from wrong in some situations. And if doing something would get you killed, then it's damned sure not a good idea to do something.

But, take it to another level. Is it wrong for countries to stand by, and do nothing, while violence, pillage and rape occurs in places such as Africa, Asia and the Middle East?

Depends on the situation! And in the same way as above, one might not really know right and wrong. The other problem for nations is ...when is it right to impose your will or power onto some other nation? Another problem is knowing whether or not "doing something" might actually cause more harm than good. Oh, yeah, and let's not forget that "doing something" might also cause great harm to your own nation, so.....?

Baron Max

Is it right to stand by and watch while something wrong, hypocritical, and criminally wrong is occurring ?

What exactly is going on? Hypocritical? Do you think hypocrisy inherently requires intervention? The response would depend on the action.

But, take it to another level. Is it wrong for countries to stand by, and do nothing, while violence, pillage and rape occurs in places such as Africa, Asia and the Middle East ?

Again, it depends on the circumstances. Is it worth invading a nation, risking our own lives, to help others that either can't or won't help themselves? What are the ramifications of action? And of inaction?

You can't be so vague with these questions. If you want to ask about Iraq, ask about Iraq. If you're just looking for a sneaky way to get everyone to agree with Iraq, then go away.

It at least depends on whether you can do something, plus a load of other things.

One could just video tape the event and sell whatever it was to a TV station to use in their real TV stuff.

Yes, Some situations are trivial, and not worth military intervention, but take for example, the recent Nigerian children abused in witch hunt, the violence in African countries, and in many Asian dictatorships. We know whats going on, yet refuse to do anything about it.

Yes, Some situations are trivial, and not worth military intervention, but take for example, the recent Nigerian children abused in witch hunt, the violence in African countries, and in many Asian dictatorships. We know whats going on, yet refuse to do anything about it.

If "we" wanted to do something about those horrors, what ....exactly what could "we" do?

I mean, seriously, let's assume that the rest of the whole world wanted to do something about those things ......what could be done?

Baron Max

If "we" wanted to do something about those horrors, what ....exactly what could "we" do?

I mean, seriously, let's assume that the rest of the whole world wanted to do something about those things ......what could be done?

Baron Max

Have every country that trades with the country stop their trading until the problem ceases to happen. That way the oppressing country would be in dire straits in a very short time and would have to capitulate in order to receive the goods and services it needs in order to survive. No military action would be needed.

Have every country that trades with the country stop their trading until the problem ceases to happen. That way the oppressing country would be in dire straits in a very short time and would have to capitulate in order to receive the goods and services it needs in order to survive. No military action would be needed.

We did that very thing against Iraq ...and Sadman Hussy lived high on the hog while his people suffered and starved to death.

We're doing the same thing against North Korea, and Kim-Baby is doing just fine ....while his people suffer and starve to death.

So, if that's all you can suggest, then I'd suggest that you stop watching the news about all the starving people in the world. Out of sight, out of mind.

Baron Max

We did that very thing against Iraq ...and Sadman Hussy lived high on the hog while his people suffered and starved to death.

Baron Max

Actually Syria, Russia and China were all supplying Saddam with goods and survives as well as a few other countries. My suggestion would only work if ALL countries would stop trading with those that are oppressing their people.

Actually Syria, Russia and China were all supplying Saddam with goods and survives as well as a few other countries.

And still the people of Iraq suffered greatly ...while Sadman enjoyed his life without a problem.

My suggestion would only work if ALL countries would stop trading with those that are oppressing their people.

You couldn't get "all" countries to agree that they all had to take a shit! Suggesting something that's so far from reality is nothing more than wishing that everyone would get manna dropped from heaven. It's just about as ridiculous.

Baron Max

You couldn't get "all" countries to agree that they all had to take a shit! Suggesting something that's so far from reality is nothing more than wishing that everyone would get manna dropped from heaven. It's just about as ridiculous.

Baron Max

But only a handful of countries supported Saddam. That means that the vast majority of countries are willing to cooperate with the world in most cases. It is the few countries that don't want to help that must be addressed to see what could be done in order to change those few countries ways of business.

But only a handful of countries supported Saddam. That means that the vast majority of countries are willing to cooperate with the world in most cases. It is the few countries that don't want to help that must be addressed to see what could be done in order to change those few countries ways of business.

You don't get it, do you?! You're essentially punishing the poor and starving citizens of those nations ........LONG BEFORE.... the guilty parties are even affected. People like Sadman Hussy would have let the Iraqis ALL starve to death before he surrendered his will and power.

Please, .....get real, and get some info.

Baron Max

You don't get it, do you?! You're essentially punishing the poor and starving citizens of those nations ........LONG BEFORE.... the guilty parties are even affected. People like Sadman Hussy would have let the Iraqis ALL starve to death before he surrendered his will and power.

Please, .....get real, and get some info.

Baron Max

What do you think that by invading them it is any better? Please explain why bombing the shit out of everyone is any better? :shrug:

What do you think that by invading them it is any better? Please explain why bombing the shit out of everyone is any better?

Hey, don't jump on me about it! :D

Hell, I readily admit that I don't know what to do about it. For me, personally, I just ignore it all. If the news begins to show starving people in Bang-damn-where-ever-it-is, I just go get another cold beer and a warm slice of pizza. Fuck 'em, there's no way I can help them, so fuck 'em, let 'em die. It doesn't help anyone for me to get all sick and angry or upset about it.

Baron Max

I didn't jump on you, I merely asked a simple question as to whether bombs were the way to prevent oppression.

They came for the mayor and I didn't care, then they came for the policeman and I still didn't care but when they came for me is when I knew it was to late. If oppression isn't prevented then one day the entire world will be ruled by those who oppress the most.

Back