Beautiful people are healthier and live longer

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
If you ever wondered about the fairness of life, now you got the answer! :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/05/07/scisymmetry107.xml

Beautiful people are not just prettier but they live longer and helthier than YOU. The article doesn't mention it, but they are also more successfull than you.

Just so you know, life isn't far.

"But why? One idea is that the trait is an advert of genetic quality or fertility.

An alternative view is that preferences for a symmetrical face arose from cultural factors and say nothing about health, fecundity and other biological factors.
Now support for the idea that a symmetrical face is indeed a strong advert of mate ‘quality’ is published today in the journal PLoS One by Dr Anthony Little of the University of Stirling and colleagues."

Yeah, I like weird looking blokes. They're beautiful to me. I don't find conventionally good looking blokes do anything for me. A wonky nose, a scar, no left arm, etc., anything to stamp a "I'm not something you can buy on the highstreet" indication on him.

Same here, I quite like when a guy is unusual looking. And yes, scars are very sexy.

I don't have a particular type though. Just as long as he is not ugly, weedy, obese, and is taller than me.

No one said you die young when you're ugly.
Not being beautiful != being ugly.. :shrug:

Same here, I quite like when a guy is unusual looking. And yes, scars are very sexy.

I don't have a particular type though. Just as long as he is not ugly, weedy, obese, and is taller than me.

I'll take an ugly, weedy short arse with a mind like The Marquis De sade's mixed with Hawking's any day.

Beautiful is different in different societies. So I would say acceptance and rejection are more obvious than beauty.

edit: the article is talking about facial symmetry as a correlate of beauty. So does that mean that symmetry defines beauty?

As the article says, beauty is an indicator of the quality of one's genes, something we've known for a long time. So of course they're going to tend to be healthier, and live longer and be more educated and have higher IQs and be less criminally inclined, and so on and so forth.

It's funny how people stereotype models as being dumb. Actually, I bet in truth, it's the opposite. If you read the biographies of models, you often find that they're very intelligent and speak many languages. Like Monica Bellucci, for example. If you watch her interviews, she's very poetic and well spoken. She speaks like 4 languages too. Natalie Portman, the same thing applies.

Beautiful is different in different societies. So I would say acceptance and rejection are more obvious than beauty.

edit: the article is talking about facial symmetry as a correlate of beauty. So does that mean that symmetry defines beauty?

Symmetry + proportions.

Youthful looks play an important role as well, such as smooth skin etc.

Apparently there's a 6-4-4 ratio of proportions from the top of the forehead to the jawline. The more the face meets with this ratio the more generally accepted the face is as "beautiful".

Back