Banning religion?

Religion is outdated, ignorant, and the cause of great conflict and hatred; and to boot, it is the tool of the capitalist class, used to exploit the worker.

"Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich man" - Napoleon Boneparte

I'm all for principles of freedom of religion and all, but wouldn't it be for the overall good of the people if we just ban it, deal with the whining that comes, and within a generation or two, be free entirely of religion?

You must be retarded or ignorant in history . Religion was permitted in your stupid so called communist country . I suppose you are born in 2000.

In fact, religion is a strong as ever in Russia. Banning things just makes people want them more, or toughens their resolve to keep them going.

Religion is outdated, ignorant, and the cause of great conflict and hatred; and to boot, it is the tool of the capitalist class, used to exploit the worker.

"Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich man" - Napoleon Boneparte

I'm all for principles of freedom of religion and all, but wouldn't it be for the overall good of the people if we just ban it, deal with the whining that comes, and within a generation or two, be free entirely of religion?

you could say the same thing about government. can we ban that too?

Your argument against religion is a bit outdated and simplistic.

I think part of the current fundamentalist hysteria is is that outside of the Bible belt, a critical mass of people are no longer taking faith extremely seriously and have accepted that other religions are ok.

Besides that, have you ever met any Unitarian Universalists? UUers are great big flaming lefties. There is such a thing as a progressive Christian, a progressive Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jew...

Some times religion oppresses, other times it tries to free: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology

Don't know if you've been through college yet, I would suggest sociology and anthropology courses...you're oversimplifying. People are complicated.

Your own Marxism is a religious belief, a 19'th century new religious movement.

It's basically messianic Judaism with the supernatural ripped out, repackaged in ostensibly "scientific" pretension (or at least as scientific as old-style Hegelianism can be), with the blind but potent "proletariat" and its vanguard-party masters assuming the place of the messiah, with "the revolution" filling in for "the apocalypse", and with an imagined paradisical "classless society" replacing an imagined paradisical "Kingdom of God" at the end-of-time.

Both Jewish messianism and Marxism are classic eschatological doctrines.

Ban religion. Then it'll be something else. Then something else. Remember the quote that begins, "First they came..."

Ironically, the first line is about them coming for the communists. Point is, when you begin to draw lines, that line can be moved, and at some point you might find yourself on the other side, restricted from your freedom.

You don't need to ban superstition. What you do need to do is invest money in teaching children to think sceptically and increase their knowledge regarding the history of major religions (or lack there of).

Most modern religion (minus perhaps Buddhism) is pretty silly when you boil it down to it's components: Magic Sky Daddy, Magic Book, Magic Prophet/Messiah, Heaven (Carrot), Hell (Stick).

You don't need to ban superstition. What you do need to do is invest money in teaching children to think sceptically and increase their knowledge regarding the history of major religions (or lack there of).

Most modern religion (minus perhaps Buddhism) is pretty silly when you boil it down to it's components: Magic Sky Daddy, Magic Book, Magic Prophet/Messiah, Heaven (Carrot), Hell (Stick).

That Be Big Sky Daddy to you . Also called Gods Country. I love Montana . God Am I lucky one or what . I live in Fucking Paradise . Man the rain has fallen a lot this summer so it looks more like Hawaii instead of the normal arid dry summers of the past . It is a new trend for the last 3 or 4 years and this year is better than the last. I think the snow in the high country is not going to all melt off this year . Yeah a perennial accumulation of snow . Can you believe that . So you know what the town folk are going around saying like they live in a fuck trance . God Loves Us

That Be Big Sky Daddy to you . Also called Gods Country. I love Montana . God Am I lucky one or what . I live in Fucking Paradise . Man the rain has fallen a lot this summer so it looks more like Hawaii instead of the normal arid dry summers of the past . It is a new trend for the last 3 or 4 years and this year is better than the last. I think the snow in the high country is not going to all melt off this year . Yeah a perennial accumulation of snow . Can you believe that . So you know what the town folk are going around saying like they live in a fuck trance . God Loves Us
OK, Big Sky Daddy and Big Sky Mama :)

Montana sounds lovely. Maybe I'll move there one day? How are the winters? How are the lakes?

I don't know if I can handle Michigan style winters any longer. Having lived under a temperate climate for so a few years I just don't handle arctic hellish winters :shrug:

RE: Banning Superstition/Religion
That's not possible, it is however, possible to educate children, you know, give them a fighting chance. Then, if they decide to worship "The" Sky Daddy Prophet, well, the world needs them sum ditches. So, a win win :)

That way, you would just be teaching them more speculation and to take it for granted, as The Truth.

That way, you would just be teaching them more speculation and to take it for granted, as The Truth.
No, I think we should teach children to think skeptically. The History (or lack there of) will take care of the rest. At least for those who gravitate towards rational thought and truth seeking. As for the rest, well, we do needs our ditches dug :p

the irony is that we went ahead with your banning religion it would bring in all the hatred, murder, class wars, ignorance and great conflict that you (falsely) attribute to religion ... coming from the atheists that is.

:shrug:

Your suggestion is a classic example how diametric ideological opposites, when taken to extremes, are practically identical on the ground (fascism and communism is another)

the irony is that we went ahead with your banning religion it would bring in all the hatred, murder, class wars, ignorance and great conflict that you (falsely) attribute to religion ... coming from the atheists that is.
Yeah, because that's what's happening in China relative to the USA ;)

Back