Ban Class Action Law Suits!

That is a problem with every class action lawsuit. No one knows what will be the final outcome for many years so it is best to get on the bandwagon when it comes along rather than watching it roll by. ;)

Oh, no, I thought you meant it was settled and that huge check was my share. I've gotten letters asking if I was interested and I just toss them

Oh, no, I thought you meant it was settled and that huge check was my share. I've gotten letters asking if I was interested and I just toss them

But if you don't sign up, you never will get anything from them. There's already thousands that have signed up before you will and by you not signing up means they will recieve more compensation.

But if you don't sign up, you never will get anything from them. There's already thousands that have signed up before you will and by you not signing up means they will recieve more compensation.

The only way I'm signing up is if it affected me. So far, so good.

This is not a class action law suit, but a funny story none the less. I had a woman who worked for me for one week. At the end of the week she left to have surgery. And that is the last I heard from the lady until I got a phone call from her one day. She wanted to get information so she could sue me for not hiring her back. Of course nothing ever happened but it is funny that she would try something like that. Not everyone out there is dealing with a full deck.

This is not a class action law suit, but a funny story none the less. I had a woman who worked for me for one week. At the end of the week she left to have surgery. And that is the last I heard from the lady until I got a phone call from her one day. She wanted to get information so she could sue me for not hiring her back. Of course nothing ever happened but it is funny that she would try something like that. Not everyone out there is dealing with a full deck.

You should not have broken her legs! :D ;)

I have received one before for some medication. I would have received $.75. The envelopes, stamp, and letter cost more than that. It was pathetic. Who wants a check for $.75?
That's exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. While you could have received 75 cents, the lawyer probably mades hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. It's complete bullshit and a miscarriage of justice. If we were to simply require the lawyers to ask everyone's permision it would put an end to this crap. Why would anyone ask to be included in a lawsuit when the potential upside is a 75 cent coupon? It would save business tons of money that they must waste dealing with this bullshit, it would save the public money by not clogging up the courts with this kind of bullshit. The only people it would hurt are scumbag lawyers who make their living filing frivolous lawsuits.

You wouldn't have to pay twice as much. The deal was simple. Kids got their glasses at half price. The same pair of glasses that would cost $200 for an adult would cost $100 for a child. But the lady said that since kids always got glasses at half price, that was the normal price and she wanted the glasses for half of the 50% off price.

All they had to do was say in the fine print that the 50% off sale could not be used with other coupons or deals. I see this all the time with coupons and sales. When they screw up and leave that out it advertises an outlandish sale that attracts people in. It's deception by default, intentional or not. People that come in with a misconception shouldn't have to have wasted their time to be told it doesn't mean what it logically can be interpreted as. That is what the fine print is for.

It's up to a judge to determine if the lawsuit if really frivolous. I bet lots of them are thrown out.

I think Tiassa articulated fairly succinctly why class action law suits are valuable.
Nevertheless, the system is badly in need of reform. Under the current rules, it's primarily as a source of income for lawyers rather than a way to ensure that justice is served.

You can't just file a class action lawsuit; you have to get a judge's permission first. He's supposed to evaluate the case and decide whether or not it would be worthwhile. I think the solution would be for judges to simply grow a pair and do a better job about saying "This is bullshit, I'm not going to allow it" when people request permission to file a stupid class action suit.

As Tiassa correctly pointed out, class action suits can actually save the legal system money by combining many hundreds or thousands of suits into one.

A long form of agreement?

Madanthonywayne said:

Nevertheless, the system is badly in need of reform. Under the current rules, it's primarily as a source of income for lawyers rather than a way to ensure that justice is served.

That pertains in some way to lawsuits in general. Excepting certain cases, such as, say, trying to sue a pop band into bankruptcy, the outer limit tends to be the destruction of an entity by lawsuits. Comparatively few companies suffering massive legal exposure are sued into bankruptcy, and relatively few—if any—of those are driven under by the settlement.

So imagine an individual lawsuit, the first of its class, that brings the claimant a $3m award. How many of those awards can a company endure? Imagine, then, losing 100,000 of those suits. The company would be destroyed by $300b plus its legal costs over. Better to lump those people into an actionable class, pay out $3b over ten years. But either way, lawyers are going to laugh all the way to the bank.

Of course, here we encounter a difficult proposition for the capitalist. On the one hand, if lawyers didn't make so much money from winning lawsuits (as much as 30% of each settlement or award won), they might not be so inclined to file whatever claims come their way. To the other, capping legal fees can be regarded as interrupting the "free market".

Unfortunately, the solutions most often proposed generally seek to discourage the filing of lawsuits in general. If one alleges discrimination in the workplace, it might turn out that, while they are right, they are also outmatched. Thus, an injustice might remain, and the claimant is responsible for massive fees to, say, a dozen lawyers who only obfuscated the law and facts. In the end, small businesses that might only be able to afford one or two lawyers would remain vulnerable, but large corporations would find some degree of shelter.

And let us consider the Ledbetter decision, in which the Supreme Court held in an opinion authored by Justice Samuel Alito that a claimant must bring a complaint within a certain period, even if the evidence doesn't emerge until afterward. Indeed, continuing to benefit from the original offense does not compound the offense. Sure, Congress corrected the situation, but we don't apply the logic of the Ledbetter ruling in other facets of society. Would we mark the statute of limitations for domestic violence or sexual abuse according to the first incident? Maybe render longtime drug users immune to prosecution since the first offense was so long ago? Fraud complaints? What about pollution laws?

Should one be obliged to pay for a corporation's legal defense all the way to the Supreme Court when the decision isn't that the company never did wrong, but the novel assessment that only the first offense counts, and any subsequent repetitions of the offense are tacked to the original for the purposes of a statute of limitations?

It seems much more logical to rein in the lawyers than to discourage people with legitimate claims from pursuing remedy under the law simply because it's too expensive to do so.

Notes:

"Negativland". Wikipedia. Updated January 21, 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativland

Hirsch, Jeffrey M. "Analysis of the Ledbetter Bill". Workplace Prof Blog. September 16, 2008. http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/laborprof_blog/2008/09/ledbetter.html

Alito, JJ Samuel. Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber #05-1074. United States Supreme Court. May 29, 2007. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/05-1074.ZS.html

There should be a class action law suit on all the idiots who have been ripping off the people in this economy.

I don't have all the facts, but I'm leaning toward the lady who complained.
I have no problem with a judgment being awarded to the lady who complained. My problem is with the parasites--oops I meant to say attorneys but the two words are synonyms--who walked off with most of the money. There is no "justice" in a legal system that enriches the parasites and hands out tiny checks to thousands of people.
I got something for all those blockbuster overdue fees they were charging me, thanks to a class action lawsuit. Frak those bastards! Some free movies and no more late fees. Power to the people!
Power to the people? What you're advocating is "money to the lawyers." If you're looking for bastards who need frakking, it's the glut of lawyers who are sucking off the American economy while adding so little value it's laughable.
But what if it was 75,000.00! Would you feel the same way. Every lawsuit is different and the amounts vary to each person.
Oh come on dude. Be realistic and do the math. There will NEVER EVER be a class action lawsuit in which every plaintiff is awarded $75,000. Even if there are only ten thousand plaintiffs, that comes out to three quarters of a billion dollars.
There should be a class action law suit on all the idiots who have been ripping off the people in this economy.
You're talking about the lawyers, right? There's a surplus of lawyers, so in order to generate income they find clever ways to bring class action lawsuits for people who will get checks for ten bucks while they walk away with hundreds of thousands.

These days the attorneys I know who have a shred of integrity have abandoned the practice of law and taken up new careers. Obviously there must still be a few decent ones out there, but they're becoming scarcer.

So ... I have only been a member of this site for a few hours, but from reading through a few threads I have already found that:

(1) I agree with pretty much everything Tiassa has to say; and

(2) I disagree with pretty much everything Fraggle Rocker has to say.

I'm currently in law school, so my opinion may be biased for this reason, but I tend to side with the perception that lawyers are, at a base level, the ones there to protect your rights.

To that end, this is what Tiassa is getting at, in part, with class action lawsuits. Say a client has a legitimate claim against a company (who is screwing over hundreds or thousands of people in the same way), but each person has only been damaged by a relatively small amount (say $100). No lawyer, unless doing pro bono work, will take this person's case, because even half an hour of work will be worth more than the client's supposed relief.

This is not because lawyers are big green monsters who do whatever they can to make money, it is because lawyers have to receive money for the work that they do (just like every other profession) in order to live in a capitalist society. However, if the same lawyer is representing 100 clients who have claims for $100 each, it becomes feasible for the lawyer to take the case, which in the end helps (1) the lawyer by making money off the award if the lawyer wins and (2) helps the client by getting relief for the client, which would likely have been less possible without the aid of a lawyer.

Or, as previously mentioned, look at a case like the one in Erin Brokovich. It would be extremely difficult for one person to prove that a company was severely polluting their land without the aid of their neighbors. The formation of a class action suit in this case became the vehicle that allowed their case to succeed.

On the other hand, frivilous lawsuits suck.

The problem is there is no over site of such cases and often the lawyers make millions while the people injured get worthless coupons, like the case I was in.

The problem is there is no over site of such cases and often the lawyers make millions while the people injured get worthless coupons, like the case I was in.

Then again there are many victims that are compensated very well, millions matter of fact, in many lawsuits.

The "millions" only seem like a lot untill you spread it out over the people in the case and then compare that to their loss and see they are getting pennies on the dollar, if that.

I seriously doubt the victims are ever compensated well nor do the corporations face anything close to punishment for their misdeeds while getting off the hook for further litigation.

In my particular case the corporations actually made a profit if the "coupons" were redeemed and the lawyers made $6,000,000 in legal fees.

Back