Bad Religion

superluminal said:
SouthStar,

If you google on [evolution morality selflessness +"group selection"] you should find much interesting reading. My opinions are based on this reading, books, and magazine articles over many years. If you still want me to post references (there are potentially hundreds) I will.

Google gave me very few good results so I will go on the first one, which seems to be reputable:

Humans expend significant effort debating the validity of claims of selflessness and bestowing praise for actions deemed selfless. Shrewdness does persist, because it can sometimes be an effective way to exploit the system, but it is discouraged by moral norms and thus suppressed by indirect reciprocity. The centrality of the concept of service or selflessness in moral norms (Ridley, 1996; Roes & Raymond, 2003) suggests that within-group cooperation in the face of intergroup competition still underlies indirect reciprocity today. Otherwise, entertaining the idea that the actions of others can have group-serving motivations would be maladaptive. Moreover, for the earliest form of indirect reciprocity to produce fitness benefits, a belief in group service must already have existed, implying an independent evolutionary origin. The human social situation of within-group cooperation as a form of between-group competition explains why the concept of selflessness, rather than shrewdness, is the value encouraged by indirect reciprocity.

Source

Since we are on the topic of humanism that's where I will focus for now (unless we later branch to morality in general).

I think this article agrees with what I have been saying. It is the group psychology which leads to the supression of shrewdness (a quality which I find to be no 'better'/'worse' than selflessness). In an article I read elsewhere, this was given: "Members of the same group often share a feeling of high regard, friendship and trust that is based not on any prior experience but merely by the fact that they are members of the same group. Exploitation within groups is often avoided even when opportunities are experimentally provided without any chance of detection (e.g., Caporeal et al 1989)."

We now see that selflessness (or even charitableness) is no more 'reasonable' than shrewdness. It is the herd mentality which gives rise to the propagation of selfless acts. According to legend, reason is supposed to be what gives the rationalists the advantage over theists and the masses, which Tolstoy calls the "milliards". Now, unfortunately, subscription to selflessness means genuflection to the group mentality into which one is indoctrinated. This does not at all seem reasonable to me - to denigrate one man's form of herdism as "illogical" while esteeming one's own herdism as 'reasonable'. This is inconsistent and therefore itself irrational.

For example, you say: "I want to be "good" because it worked for my ancestors. And I also do not believe in "true altruism" the way we commonly think of it. Any altruistic act can be beneficial to your immediate kin or more distant relatives, therefore ultimately beneficial to some version of your genetic material."

But by the same token of 'rationality', how can you then jeer at theists if religion is what "works" for them (and their ancestors).

I do wonder though, if you could please tell me to satisfy curiosity, what standard do you use to discover that your being good because it "works" for you is reasonable, while the the theist is unreasonable even though his religion "works" for him? (Of course you can't say that the absence of evidence of a God makes a person who believes in God unreasonable. That would be circular reasoning since faith is what "works" for them.)

Again, as Tolstoy said, "It is now clear to me that this was just as in a lunatic asylum; but then I only dimly suspected this, and like all lunatics, simply called all men lunatics except myself.""

Last edited:
SouthStar:

I do wonder though, if you could please tell me to satisfy curiosity, what standard do you use to discover that your being good because it "works" for you is reasonable, while the the theist is unreasonable even though his religion "works" for him? (Of course you can't say that the absence of evidence of a God makes a person who believes in God unreasonable. That would be circular reasoning since faith is what "works" for them.)

Being "good" works for the average person because we have evolved that way. My argument is simply that to claim your morality or "goodness" stems from gods teachings is incorrect and hands over an innate trait to an imaginary entity. That is unreasonable. Claiming the supernatural or mystical as an explanation for anythig is unreasonable. Whether something "works" for you or not is beside the point.

SouthStar:

But humanism, of course, starts on a rational foot and this is where I find the problem.

I'm not so sure it starts on a rational foot. But then, no moral philosophy does. All are based on some kind of assumption which has no proof. (Maybe you can think of a counterexample?)

Say you had no such experience of reciprocation (eg. every kind action of yours is met with ingratitude). Do you think it would be rational for you to be a humanist?

Not necessarily. It would depend on the resources I had available. If charity is a drop in the ocean, it can't hurt.

Now imagine that you could maximally benefit yourself by taking advantage of people (as opposed to marginally benefitting yourself by being a humanist). Do you then think it would be rational for you to be a humanist?

Of course. The basis for humanism is not self-interest. Self-interest is a different philosophy, which jumps off from a different set of basic assumptions, which are at least equally as arbitrary as those of humanism.

Well here's the conditional "may be" again - hence my earlier label of romanticism. By providing those amenities, you also "may be" providing incentive for those people to start taking advantage of you. Maybe.

It is possible to gather data which answers this question on way or the other. Do you disagree?

As far as reason is concerned, your hope that charitability diminishes crime is no more 'rational' than suspecting that thievery will rise from the availability of goods.

In the absence of data, you're right. But I don't think there is a total absence of data in this case.

There is also the selfless aspect of humanism, which your example does not cover. What if the people you are helping out live on a different continent (so that whatever 'crime' goes on is inconsequential to you), or what if they are an isolated tribe in a remote place? Can reason justify selflessness in such instances?

Sure. If for no other reason than it makes me feel good to help other people, because it is the "right" thing to do.

It is ok to say reason is a tool for humanists, but more problematic to call it the tool for finding "human solutions to human issues".

What alternative method do you suggest?

For this reason, a strong atheist who is also a humanist begs the question of why theism is irrational while humanism is not.

Actually, I don't think theism is completely irrational, either.

It sounds like you are telling me that the definition allows humanists the freedom to believe in God in theory - as long as they don't do so in practice.

Not sure what you mean by that. There is a difference between believing in "God the creator of the universe" and in "God the big man in the sky who meddles daily in human affairs".

In the same way, if there is no rational basis for humanism, then what sense does it make for humanism to use reason as a vehicle?

What sense does it make to EVER use reason as a vehicle?

James R said:
SouthStar:

I'm not so sure it starts on a rational foot. But then, no moral philosophy does. All are based on some kind of assumption which has no proof. (Maybe you can think of a counterexample?)

There are no proofs for assumptions, yes. But humanists still try to be rational as possible, no? If so, is there not a fundamental inconsistency - where one assumption must circularly be assumed to be better ('more rational') than another?

Not necessarily. It would depend on the resources I had available. If charity is a drop in the ocean, it can't hurt.

Of course. The basis for humanism is not self-interest. Self-interest is a different philosophy, which jumps off from a different set of basic assumptions, which are at least equally as arbitrary as those of humanism.

85 cents a day can add up marvelously..
Using this, many Americans should be delighted to keep pumping money into Iraq. It can't hurt, after all, and America has the resources.

Aah. And the basis for humanism is not self interest, you say. What obligates humanists to act selflessly then? If there is no obligation, then what is the point in being a humanist? And is this point rational?
I assume many/all humanists consider themselves rationalists - which means they consistently apply reason instead of mere faith. This application must necessarily be consistent for, otherwise, we have a rationalist who is rational sometimes and irrational at other times.

Well here's the conditional "may be" again - hence my earlier label of romanticism. By providing those amenities, you also "may be" providing incentive for those people to start taking advantage of you. Maybe.
It is possible to gather data which answers this question on way or the other. Do you disagree?

Do you know of any tests which can answer this?

Sure. If for no other reason than it makes me feel good to help other people, because it is the "right" thing to do.

If it is to make you feel good, then that is not selfless and therefore cannot be in the spirit of humanism (which you say is selfless). If it is the right thing to do, then how does one determine what the "right" thing to do is? And this is an important question for humanists for, surely, we cannot measure how 'right' something is by how good it makes us feel. Moreover, if there is no rational method for discovering what the 'right' thing to do is then humanism is bogus. Recall that humanism focuses on "human solutions to human issues through rational arguments."

What alternative method do you suggest?

I don't suggest an alternative method since that would defeat our discovery that all philosophies are fundamentally irrational. My point is that beyond the gaudy garb of rationalism which cloaks its logical foundations, humanism cannot be said to be any better than praying to a stone 5 times a day during times of drought.
You will probably respond that no one has said humanism is better, and yet, I'm sure you would rather be a humanist than pray to a stone - wouldn't you?
Such inconsistencies make me question the feasibility of consistently applying reason. If consistently applying reason is rational then inconsistently applying reason cannot be rational. If an atheist can excuse inconsistency and still call himself rational then there is again the problem of how theism (or any other philosophy) can be rejected on grounds of reason.

As far as practicality goes, I say prevention is better than cure. For all the reason and rationalism humanism touts, I am yet to see any prevention.

For what I see, human issues can be solved in a variety of ways. I'm sure you've heard of druggies, alcoholics and so on put on the "right" path by religion. Or of fundamentalists put on the "right" path by rationalism. As long as we convince ourselves that reason is the 'best' means of solving humankind's problems, we will ourselves be unreasonable, as you understand. Reason can justify humanism and reason can demonstrate the irrationality of humanism.

Solving human kind's problems will entail changes that people simply aren't ready to accept. In my opinion, breaking down society into smaller groups will demolish many of the problems we have. In our beginnings, we used to live in smaller groups and thus strife was kept to a minimum. With the advent of bigger groups came the difficult problem of jingoism, fundamentalism, herdism.. etc etc. The upper classes in society came to dominate most of the resources. With smaller groups, we can remove from children's minds antiquated doctrines of divine right and feudalism, serfdom and also minimize pollution, war etc etc. It sounds almost communistic but it should not be that way. It should be individualistic, optimally. This will obviously not solve all the problems immediately but it should subdue the root of many of the problems: society.

Actually, I don't think theism is completely irrational, either.

Likewise, I don't think anything/anyone is completely rational. Which brings us back to the fundamental question of how anything can be rejected on the grounds of being 'irrational'. Do you abstain from religion on the grounds of it being irrational?

Not sure what you mean by that. There is a difference between believing in "God the creator of the universe" and in "God the big man in the sky who meddles daily in human affairs".

Those are merely branches of the theism tree. I think what you are telling me is that deists can be humanists but fundamentalists cannot; ie. "God the creator of the universe" is more rational than "God the big man in the sky who meddles daily in human affairs".

Unless belief in God is rational I don't see how a humanist can be a theist. To be so would make one inconsistent.

What sense does it make to EVER use reason as a vehicle?

Hahaha :D

In other words, what you are asking me is:

Is it reasonable to use reason?

The wording has been changed in order to make it appear non circular. Why don't you answer the question for yourself, see what you make of it:

Is it EVER reasonable to use reason as a vehicle?

---

The things necessary to answer this question you did not provide in the response. So, I'll ask you:

How do we know if something is reasonable?

Postulating a god as an explanation for the universe on first observations is as reasonable as not poatulating a god.

Upon investigating the universe, and desiring to understand it in terms of what actually happens when you take some action (e.g. I pray for rain vs I seed the clouds or predict from known whether patterns) a reasonable person, when presented with overwhelming experimental facts and results for either postulate (god/no god), will accept the weight of one explanation over the other based on this verifiable information.

The physical world demands that the reasonable person discard god as an explanation for the universe in favor of a demonstrable natural explanation.

Continuing to postulate a god under these circumstances is unreasonable.

Last edited:
I think that an assumption that the two explanations are mutually exclusive is unreasonable.

superluminal said:
Postulating a god as an explanation for the universe on first observations is as reasonable as not poatulating a god.

Upon investigating the universe, and desiring to understand it in terms of what actually happens when you take some action (e.g. I pray for rain vs I seed the clouds or predict from known whether patterns) a reasonable person, when presented with overwhelming experimental facts and results for either postulate (god/no god), will accept the weight of one explanation over the other based on this verifiable information.

The physical world demands that the reasonable person discard god as an explanation for the universe in favor of a demonstrable natural explanation.

Continuing to postulate a god under these circumstances is unreasonable.

I think your example is a strawman (but valid nonetheless).

An interactive God has, by definition, much to do with the principles of causality.

From this, we can see that just because there is no evidence that God is responsible for the natural does not mean that (an interactive) God does not exist. Remember that God is undefined (just like everything else). Just as you cannot define who you are, 'God' cannot be defined by humans. It is the problem of language (something I will address later on).
Now since God is undefinable, it follows that you can't even know what to look for when searching for physical 'evidence' of Him. Theists infer from this that God is 'supernatural'.

In conclusion, just as we cannot seriously claim knowledge that the universe operates solely on physics, we cannot claim knowledge that the universe operates solely on God's will.

If the thiest insists that just because rain doesn't fall from 'heaven' (as previously assumed) doesn't mean God didn't do it, you will say that is absurd. In the same way, is it not absurd for you to say God didn't do it because rain comes from clouds?

The simple way to settle this matter is for the atheist to come up with a rigorous definition of what 'natural' means and the theist to come up with a rigorous definition of what 'supernatural' means. You must also justify, by non circular logic, why your definition is not arbitrary; failure to do so will indicate irrationality.

This way, when rain falls, we can appeal to your definition and say "God did that" or "God did not do that" with reasonable certainty. All else is speculation.

Lori_7 said:
I think that an assumption that the two explanations are mutually exclusive is unreasonable.

I also think that your statement is unreasonable. ;)

We can't dismiss assumptions as being 'unreasonable' for doing so will disqualify all assumptions since assumptions are necessarily circular. But that presents problems for both theists and atheists..

SouthStar:

I think your example is a strawman (but valid nonetheless).

An interactive God has, by definition, much to do with the principles of causality.

I think my example is not a strawman. Allowing either postulate and making simple observations and tests of the universe, the god postulate simply fails.

Your next statement is circular in the context of my statement. I assumed neither position and made simple experiments and observations which yield results that weigh strongly in favor of a natural as opposed to supernatural universe.

Lori:

I make no such assumption. I weigh evidence for/against either and reasonably conclude that the natural explanation far outweighs the supernatural. Both could easily coexist if there was strong experimental or observational evidence for the supernatural that compared with the weight of natural observations and evidence. There is not.

Therefore, by definition, the god postulate is nullified and adhering to it is unreasonable.

SouthStar:

But humanists still try to be rational as possible, no?

I suppose they try to follow through on the logical consequences of their basic assumptions and philosophy. And they probably try not to be inconsistent. Whether that makes them any more rational than other people is questionable.

85 cents a day can add up marvelously..
Using this, many Americans should be delighted to keep pumping money into Iraq. It can't hurt, after all, and America has the resources.

It is possible to weigh up the pros and cons of the US keeping soldiers in Iraq. On one side we have monetary and human costs. On the other side, we have the potential consequences of law and order completely breaking down in Iraq. etc. etc. I'm not making the argument that "it can't hurt" for America to stay in Iraq, because there's an obvious down side to that. The question is: does the good outweigh the bad? Of course, this particular example is a topic for another thread.

Aah. And the basis for humanism is not self interest, you say. What obligates humanists to act selflessly then? If there is no obligation, then what is the point in being a humanist?

Nothing obligates anybody to adopt one set of philosophical propositions over another. What is the point? Maybe it gives people a banner to unite behind. It brings together a group of people with common ideas.

If you believe in the Christian god, what's the point of identifying yourself as Catholic or Baptist or whatever?

If it is to make you feel good, then that is not selfless and therefore cannot be in the spirit of humanism (which you say is selfless).

Ok, you win. It's not completely selfless. But then, nothing is, is it?

If it is the right thing to do, then how does one determine what the "right" thing to do is?

I suspect that utilitarian ideas are fairly common in humanist philosophy, though I don't pretend to be an expert.

Moreover, if there is no rational method for discovering what the 'right' thing to do is then humanism is bogus. Recall that humanism focuses on "human solutions to human issues through rational arguments."

Every chain of logic has a set of premises, which are taken as fundamental and unquestionable. From those premises, which you may call "irrational" (depending on how you want to define the term), the "rational" arguments follow.

I don't remember claiming that humanists are entirely rational...

My point is that beyond the gaudy garb of rationalism which cloaks its logical foundations, humanism cannot be said to be any better than praying to a stone 5 times a day during times of drought.

The question is: does praying 5 times a day to a stone give reliable results? If so, then it is a good strategy. If not, maybe doing something else would be "more rational".

I'm sure you would rather be a humanist than pray to a stone - wouldn't you?

Yes, but only because I don't see praying to a stone as giving tangible benefits to anybody, except perhaps on an individual level, and it doesn't do it for me. (Ok, I admit, I haven't tried. :))

For what I see, human issues can be solved in a variety of ways. I'm sure you've heard of druggies, alcoholics and so on put on the "right" path by religion.

An atheist would certainly argue that religion is not the "right" path. A short-term goal might have been achieved (getting off drugs), but at what cost? How does the cost-benefit equation stack up? And should we even be looking at the question as one of cost-benefit anyway, since that in itself presumes a utilitarian view? Such questions are a bottomless pit.

As long as we convince ourselves that reason is the 'best' means of solving humankind's problems, we will ourselves be unreasonable, as you understand.

Maybe so, but I'm happy to accept a flawed philosophy if it can be shown that it produces demonstrably better outcomes than other flawed philosophies. What do you think?

Solving human kind's problems will entail changes that people simply aren't ready to accept. In my opinion, breaking down society into smaller groups will demolish many of the problems we have.

Modern societies are too interdependent to be broken down into smaller groups in the way you seem to be suggesting. Do you think that going back to small group subsistence farming would really help? Do you think it is even possible to go back?

Secondly, there already are smaller groups within our compex societies. Nobody is a member of just one group. You are probably a member of a group of work colleagues, a family group, a group of friends, perhaps a sporting group, as well as a citizen of your country (a much larger group).

I don't think anything/anyone is completely rational. Which brings us back to the fundamental question of how anything can be rejected on the grounds of being 'irrational'. Do you abstain from religion on the grounds of it being irrational?

Who says I abstain from religion? ;)

There are many reasons why somebody might abstain from religion, some of which have nothing to do with belief in god(s). For example, one might disagree with some of the teachings of religion.

I think what you are telling me is that deists can be humanists but fundamentalists cannot; ie. "God the creator of the universe" is more rational than "God the big man in the sky who meddles daily in human affairs".

I'd agree with that.

Unless belief in God is rational I don't see how a humanist can be a theist. To be so would make one inconsistent.

As I said before, everybody starts with a set of basic assumptions. Logic comes later. For that reason, I think a belief in God is rational, provided you start from a particular point.

How do we know if something is reasonable?

Good question, but you'd need to be more specific for me to answer.

superluminal said:
I think my example is not a strawman. Allowing either postulate and making simple observations and tests of the universe, the god postulate simply fails.

Your next statement is circular in the context of my statement. I assumed neither position and made simple experiments and observations which yield results that weigh strongly in favor of a natural as opposed to supernatural universe.

Like I said:

The simple way to settle this matter is for the atheist to come up with a rigorous definition of what 'natural' means and the theist to come up with a rigorous definition of what 'supernatural' means. You must also justify, by non circular logic, why your definition is not arbitrary; failure to do so will indicate irrationality.​

When you have accomplished this, you will find that we can look at a supernova and objectively decide that it is either 'natural' or 'supernatural'.

So. Are you, as a rationalist, able to provide this definition?

I already know the definitions. Why don't you state them? Or better, why don't you light a fire, pray to god that it dosen't burn you (supernatural intervention) then stick your hand in. Report back with you intuitive definitions of natural vs supernatural.

Have fun.

Hmm..

If a theist makes an assertion, you, superluminal, feel entitled to ask for clarification, corroboration etc.

When I ask you to do something so simple, something which a rationalist should necessarily know, you clam up and refuse to continue the conversation. I obviously made no claim concerning the natural order of the universe; you did. All I have asked for is a rational clarification.

If you cannot respect this simple request then how can you expect anyone else to heed your own? Many of the problems in this particular religion forum are based on loaded terminology. Terms such as God, faith, natural, supernatural are very obviously not understood plainly. THe first step to dispelling this ambiguation and providing level ground is for the rationalist to clarify, with logical consistency, the language that he uses.

Don't you agree?

No. Screw you all.

See how irrational an atheist can be?
-------------------------
My own definitions:

Natural: Amenable to explanation by physical laws derived from experiment and observation of the universe.

Supernatural: Manifestations or effects necessecarily not of the physical universe. Not testable by observation or experiment.

Let's start there and work our way up. Or down. Whatever.

superluminal said:
I make no such assumption. I weigh evidence for/against either and reasonably conclude that the natural explanation far outweighs the supernatural. Both could easily coexist if there was strong experimental or observational evidence for the supernatural that compared with the weight of natural observations and evidence. There is not.

Yes there is...you're ignoring every spiritual or paranormal account or testimony...of which there is an abundance. You have to call an awful lot of people delusional or liars to justify your belief in this regard. It's like this...the people who have experienced the supernatural have all the proof they need from their experience, so they don't really care if it's "tested" or "observed". They tested and observed, and they're convinced already. The people calling for tests and observations, don't believe in the paranormal anyway, so they're not about to conduct them. And there are actually people who dedicate their lives to doing that very thing, or at least make a living at it....the Catholic Church investigates miracles, and performs exorcisms all the time....and there are paranormal investigators that have all kinds of tracking and recording equipment...which apparently, those calling for tests and observations blatently ignore.

You're really smart and funny, by the way. ;)

Last edited:
A religion couldn’t be "bad" or "good". You could believe it or not.
Even if we like it or not, the religions were part of mankind thousands and thousands of years and maybe will last other thousands of years. The modern society is impregnated in every little aspect by religion originated rules, behaviors, statements, practices. We couldn’t also deny that for some periods it has led the humanity on a better path.
The religion, no matter which one, failed for two main reasons, first because it didn’t knew how to incorporate the science into the dogma, and second, more surprising, because it didn’t achieved its main goal, to became universal. You are disconcentrated when you see a lot of beliefs on earth, each one claiming the real truth. We also could see the success of some eastern religions, who accommodate better the science with dogma (isn’t interesting to venerate the ancestors, while we keep theirs genes, or the nature, as we are a product of it?). The religions that stand still on original dogma will rely more and more on ethical and moral aspects.

The real challenge for religions doesn’t came from the atheists, who state clear that there is no god, but from rationalists, free or open minds, nonbelievers (sorry, I don’t know how to translate, in my language we say “free thinkers” = individuals who don’t claim that there is no God, but also don’t agree with it’s existence).

Yes there is...you're ignoring every spiritual or paranormal account or testimony...of which there is an abundance. You have to call an awful lot of people delusional or liars to justify your belief in this regard. It's like this...the people who have experienced the supernatural have all the proof they need from their experience, so they don't really care if it's "tested" or "observed". They tested and observed, and they're convinced already. The people calling for tests and observations, don't believe in the paranormal anyway, so they're not about to conduct them. And there are actually people who dedicate their lives to doing that very thing, or at least make a living at it....the Catholic Church investigates miracles, and performs exorcisms all the time....and there are paranormal investigators that have all kinds of tracking and recording equipment...which apparently, those calling for tests and observations blatently ignore.

You're really smart and funny, by the way.

Lori, thanks for the compliment. I'm also under stress at home right now and feel like smashing somthing big and expensive. Must...not...give in...to... dark side...

First, testimony is virtually useless without physical proof. It is always out gunned by physical evidence in the courts. Humans are known to be absolutely horrid at getting their facts straight. Do you know how often the planet Venus in the evening or morning sky is reported as a UFO?

Next, do you know how many valid scientific experiments have been done on telepathy, telekenesis, precognition, and other paranormal stuff? Hundreds.

Scientists have even tried having subjects influence the electrons in computers to bias the results of a simple calculation to be statistically significant. No dice. Pun intended.

But then they stop. Why? How often do you have to test something to show it dosen't exist?

As for delusional or liars? Here, I posted this in the parapsychology sub a while back. I think it sums up my thoughts on that aspect fairly well.

OP by superluminal:

SkinWalker,

I have debated many times with paranormal enthusiasts (psi powers, ufo's...). There are generally three groups that I have identified:

1) Pure hoaxers
2) People who do believe, and indeed want to believe
3) People who are afraid and want help

Group 1 can be dismissed.

Group 2 are the majority, and break down into two subgroups:

a) Those who are desperate for supernatural mystery in their lives and will
embrace almost any claim, with no scientific proof.

b) The mentally unsound (a small minority).

Group 3 are on the edge of rationality and may just need a little shove. They've experienced something, under possibly extraordinary circumstances, but don't have the critical reasoning tools to clarify the situation.

Most people are not scientifically minded. They do not know how to critically judge evidence or a lack thereof. This takes a willingness and some training (not necessarily formal training either). They do not know what constitutes actual scientific proof and don't want to (remember - they want to believe!). Demanding rigorous, peer-reviewed, experimentally verified proof is like asking a child to wait up for Santa and give him the third degree (if he shows up - hehe!). To this group science is either boring or inaccessible. They are not after the truth. They are after a sense of mystery and excitement in the world that the wonders of science fail to provide for them.

Therefore, anyone who gets too upset with them is not using their critical reasoning skills to puzzle out their motivations. The pseudoscientists of the world will never be anything but an entertainment for themselves and other "believers". The world runs on science. We all know it. So relax.

The simple fact is that most people, and I mean most - 99.99% - don't and can't understand science, how it works, statistics, or what scientific evidence and proof is, and it's not the kind you get in courts either. They relegate science to some alternate plane of existence because it's generally incomprehensible to them. And it's also very angering to them at times. When science says you are not seeing aliens or Mary in a grotto, that what you see is a psychological/neurological artifact, people get pissed and tell you to fuck off!

The proof you keep speaking of - this internal proof - is not scientific proof, and is really a misuse of the word proof. You have a conviction. That's all. You are convinced. Proof implies the agreement of others based on demonstrable evidence.

You can and have proven to me that you believe 100% in god and what he is doing for you. I accept, as does everyone else here (I suppose) that you are convinced. What you can't prove is that what you believe in is real. Until there is a physical, repeatable, testable manifestation, it is just an internal conviction you have. And as long as you don't try to kill or banish those that don't believe as you do, that's wonderful! I believe that one day, I'll have my cabin in Colorado. It sustains me sometimes.

James R said:
SouthStar:

Sorry that I've been a little late in my replies.

I suppose they try to follow through on the logical consequences of their basic assumptions and philosophy. And they probably try not to be inconsistent. Whether that makes them any more rational than other people is questionable.

Do you find your agnosticism to be more rational than theism?

Also, generally speaking, everyone tries to follow through the logical consequences of their basic assumptions and philosophy. From bank robbers to pedophiles to politicians etc etc. But as you have probably seen, atheists on this forum often state matter of factly that they are more rational than theists. But this is illogical, is it not, since atheists are operating on the logical implications of their assumption that a God concept is superfluous even as theists do the same for their assumptions?

It is possible to weigh up the pros and cons of the US keeping soldiers in Iraq. On one side we have monetary and human costs. On the other side, we have the potential consequences of law and order completely breaking down in Iraq. etc. etc. I'm not making the argument that "it can't hurt" for America to stay in Iraq, because there's an obvious down side to that. The question is: does the good outweigh the bad? Of course, this particular example is a topic for another thread.

Who determines what the 'pros' and 'cons' are for America? And by what invariable standard I wonder?

Aah. And the basis for humanism is not self interest, you say. What obligates humanists to act selflessly then? If there is no obligation, then what is the point in being a humanist?
Nothing obligates anybody to adopt one set of philosophical propositions over another. What is the point? Maybe it gives people a banner to unite behind. It brings together a group of people with common ideas.

If you believe in the Christian god, what's the point of identifying yourself as Catholic or Baptist or whatever?

Affiliating oneself with a Christian denomination implies an agreement with the major theologies of that denomination. So that you know Baptists don't confess to priests and Catholics don't dance in church. But it doesn't make sense to put it that way: that a person converts to the Baptist brand of Christianity in order to 'unite' with the Baptist church.
But that might be a strawman so I'll be more specific:
Adopting a philosophical proposition in order to 'belong' reeks of herdism. And genuflecting to the herd mentality is not rational, is it?

Ok, you win. It's not completely selfless. But then, nothing is, is it?

Is selfishness rational? It seems that in order for humanistic actions to remain rational, selfishness must be rational as well. But saying selfishness is rational opens up a giant can of worms for dinner.

So. Is it?

I suspect that utilitarian ideas are fairly common in humanist philosophy, though I don't pretend to be an expert.

For a bunch of rationalists, all the sources I have looked at our incredibly nebulous about what standard is used.

They believe that "moral values derive their source from human experience." Since most believe that an afterlife is non-existent, they regard life here on earth to be particularly precious. They are highly motivated to alleviating pain and misery around the world. Many are active in refugee, human rights, anti-death penalty, environmental groups, etc.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/humanism.htm

I'm going to have to agree that there is probably a utilitarian approach since I don't see why else they should be against dictatorships. But then again, in the very same document, there is an emphasis on 'individuality'. I'm not sure how you can champion both individuality and the group without running into logical inconsistencies.. but, hey, that's "rationalism" for you.

Every chain of logic has a set of premises, which are taken as fundamental and unquestionable. From those premises, which you may call "irrational" (depending on how you want to define the term), the "rational" arguments follow.

I don't remember claiming that humanists are entirely rational...

Well, I guess you shall have to clarify what you mean by "rational". :D

Hehe..

Like I said earlier, everyone is rational if we think of it in terms of conclusions following from premises. Hitler's conclusions followed perfectly from his premises after all. Thus, it seems prima facie that the only way to determine 'rationality' is by validating the premises. But this too is false. For somebody to say Hitler's premises were irrational is absurdly circular since, necessarily, they must hold the assumption that their own premise is rational and anything that does not agree with it is not. In other words, "Hitler's assumptions that the Jews were inferior is irrational because I myself assume that there is no such thing as racial inferiority." The circularity of "my line of reasoning is more reasonable than your line of reasoning" is unworkable so as to disqualify the practice of determining whether a system is rational by determining whether it's primary assumptions are rational.

This is why I have preferred to use internal consistency as a standard for determining rationality. In this way, I have no say over whether or not a system is "rational" or not but rather the system proves itself to be rational or irrational. For example, if Hitler were to pardon some Jews and treat them very well, this would be inconsistent with his own assumptions so that we could call him "irrational" - but by using his own system. Or maybe we can look at Hitler's own ethnicity and if he is not of the "master race" (as they say he was not), then we can call him irrational since he did not exterminate himself.

What we are not trying to determine is whether the humanist is consistent with his own assumption that he must use reason and reason alone (thereby excluding all methods which are 'irrational') to solve human problems. And the beauty of the matter is that we don't even have to bicker over what is 'irrational' in such context; given the humanist's assumptions, anything he does which produces logical inconsistency within his own system is necessarily irrational. In this case we don't even suffer the possibility of being arbitrary.

But this of course includes the presumption that logical inconsistency is not logical. I doubt anyone would disagree with me that if

P1) A = A
P2) A = B
C1) A != B

(From the premise that A = B, it is concluded that A must therefore not be equal to B)
The system is internally inconsistent and therefore illogical.

The question is: does praying 5 times a day to a stone give reliable results? If so, then it is a good strategy. If not, maybe doing something else would be "more rational".

Yes, but only because I don't see praying to a stone as giving tangible benefits to anybody, except perhaps on an individual level, and it doesn't do it for me. (Ok, I admit, I haven't tried.)

Neither have I, except that one time when I really really wanted..

Well what you are saying is that when something gives "reliable results" then it is rational. But that definition cannot be used to determine whether Nazis weres rational or not. It also fails the test of impartiality. Many Christians believe that God answers their prayer, and when He doesn't do so at beck-and-call it is due to His own patience and wisdom. You might say this is dubious reasoning and therefore "unreliable", but to the Christian, God is by definition reliable. His lack of promptness in answering prayer is therefore full demonstration of His reliability; God didn't answer the prayer immediately because He had a better plan.

You must admit that these conclusions drawn from the Christian's premises are logically flawless. They follow quite perfectly. You are then left with arguing that your line of reasoning is more reasonable than their line of reasoning.

Hence our need for an internal consistency test.

An atheist would certainly argue that religion is not the "right" path. A short-term goal might have been achieved (getting off drugs), but at what cost? How does the cost-benefit equation stack up? And should we even be looking at the question as one of cost-benefit anyway, since that in itself presumes a utilitarian view? Such questions are a bottomless pit.

The 'benefits' are usually acknowledged universally. Both atheists and theists will probably agree that getting off drugs or booze is a 'benefit'. But they will obviously not agree on what the "costs" are.

This disagreement between atheists and theists over what are 'disadvantages' of religious conversion require that the atheist (for burden of proof) provide a rational standard for determining whether something is a disadvantage or not. As you know, this is quite impossible and so there will yet be bickering over whose line of reasoning is more reasonable.

The main point I am trying to get across to people (atheists and rationalists especially) is that reason cannot be used to show that a line of reasoning is more reasonable. The very attempt to do so is itself circular and therefore unreasonable.

I was telling Raithere in another thread about how little difference there is between atheists and theists, both of whom seek happiness, fulfillment, long life, stability, and most importantly for them, "truth". So that apart from the basic assumptions employed in the quest to attain these things, there is little to differentiate both parties.

Maybe so, but I'm happy to accept a flawed philosophy if it can be shown that it produces demonstrably better outcomes than other flawed philosophies. What do you think?

Same thing as above; one man's meat is another man's poison. What may be good for someone may not be good for you. Your personal qualifier is "demonstrably better".

I do wonder what rational standard you use to demonstrate that a philosophy is "better" than another philosophy.

If you, as a rationalist, are able to tell me this then.. We can use that rational knowledge to end ALL strife between disagreeing parties by rationally determining which party's view is "demonstrably better".

But if you fail, that is, if you have no standard, then that means you are being inconsistent and therefore irrational yourself. (Hehehe..) For to operate without a set standard is, by definition, to be logically inconsistent. That itself is the basis for mathematics and physics, I expect.

So.

What is it?

Modern societies are too interdependent to be broken down into smaller groups in the way you seem to be suggesting. Do you think that going back to small group subsistence farming would really help? Do you think it is even possible to go back?

Secondly, there already are smaller groups within our compex societies. Nobody is a member of just one group. You are probably a member of a group of work colleagues, a family group, a group of friends, perhaps a sporting group, as well as a citizen of your country (a much larger group).

Well, I think all things are possible. But, as we are generally resistant to change (especially on such a major scale), people will not want to go back (even if it's in their best interest).

My proposed solution is really simple. The simpler the societies, the simpler the groups, the simpler the people. Et voila, a lot of problems are diminished. Of course, you might argue that new problems will crop up, but that is of no concern to me since they would be the same "problems" our forefathers faced, and they certainly didn't cry and whine because there were no reality shows or penicillin. But then again. A herd of people is like a grouping of mules: dead set on resisting change in direction.

Who says I abstain from religion? ;)

There are many reasons why somebody might abstain from religion, some of which have nothing to do with belief in god(s). For example, one might disagree with some of the teachings of religion.

Well, I expect MacM would beg to differ. I've heard all about you and your religion of relativity and Einstein-worship, MacM knows your secret! :D

Seriously though, you don't abstain from religion?

Either way, people abstain from religion for reasons. And because they believe the reasons justify atheism, they do in fact become atheists; the same applies for theism. So that everyone believes his reasons justify his actions. A single mother might bet all her money in Las Vegas and her reasons could be "I have nothing to lose" or "I feel lucky" or "I'm drunk so what the hell anyway" etc etc. These all, to her, are reasons why she should wager her savings. To someone else, they might be invalid reasons, but that doesn't stop the mother from believing her reasoning justifies her actions.

But how can we know that the atheist's reason for abstaining for religion or the mother's reason for betting are 'reasonable' without ourselves making an assumption which is necessarily unreasonable?

As I said before, everybody starts with a set of basic assumptions. Logic comes later. For that reason, I think a belief in God is rational, provided you start from a particular point.

Which "point", for example?

Good question, but you'd need to be more specific for me to answer.

Surely, there are things which you consider 'reasonable' and therefore attract you, and there are things which you consider 'unreasonable' and therefore repel you.

How do you determine whether something is 'reasonable' without being circular (for logical inconsistency is a mark of being unreasonable)?

Last edited:
superluminal said:
No. Screw you all.

See how irrational an atheist can be?
My own definitions:

Natural: Amenable to explanation by physical laws derived from experiment and observation of the universe.

Supernatural: Manifestations or effects necessecarily not of the physical universe. Not testable by observation or experiment.

Let's start there and work our way up. Or down. Whatever.

Ok, so you affirm that a God (who is necessarily supernatural) does not exist.

What is your reasoning for this, given the definitions you have provided?

Last edited:
hi.. i'm new here.. trying to learn n stuffs..

btw.. God.. hmm.. it's hard to believe sumthin that y'can't see or can't feel.. you just believe.. especially now.. when believe is the rarest thing..

believing God for me is a personal matter.. it's about you and Him.. as long as you do the rite thing.. not stealing, killing, and do some crazy stuffs.. like suicide bombings =P
it doesn't matter.. at least for me.. well except if you wanna be my girl LOL

i've doin my own search.. and i've found Him.. where ? do yours and you'll find Him.. some people said that they believe.. why ? cuz somebody told them.. and some people said that they don't believe .. why ? cuz they only thinkin' and do a lil' research.. not searching from A-Z..

in Islam... there's a prophet called Ibrahim *i hope it's true =P* and he started from nothing.. search for the true God..

IMHO, what's the point of convincing others that He is exist.. while you still doin sins ? what's the point of telling your classmate not to cheat while you're still cheating ?

Back