Bad Religion

ApatheticUSA

Registered Member
I'm 14 and I'm an athiest(I can see trouble already). Every day I see people trying to convert me to many different religions to save my soul. I have a question, whats the benefit of religions in society? It may be because I do not follow any of these that I don't see the benefits and thats why I'm asking this. I see churchs on almost every street cornor, and then I hear of people starving on tv. I also see commercials wanting 80 cents a day to feed hungry children, when once again they spend thousands of dollars on every church. Anti-homosexual websites are set up, preaching that "The gays are trying to convert your children". People are even killed for having different beliefs. Now back to my question, what is a benefit of religion in society? Is this what "god" would have really wanted?

"It's your indecision.Your indecision is yourBad Religion, regurgitate
Indecision, it's not too late.Bad Religion, regurgitate
Indecision, it's not too late.Bad Religion, Bad Religion,
Bad Religion."
-Bad Religion(Band)

Religion has some 'benefits' (I use the term very loosely).

Without religion, some would abandon the ascetic lifestyle, and others would cease to open orphanages, shelters, and kitchens in foreign lands for no 'personal' motive. They find religion's promise of afterlife to be sufficient incentive to contribute to society.

Apart from religion, there is no logic which can justify why an individual should fucking love his neighbor as himself.

Religion can go a long way to supressing selfishness. Just look at Mother Theresa. As an atheist, she could have or could have not decided to be a humanitarian because atheism is nihilistic, like it or not. That humanistic atheism crap is beyond belief IMO.

SouthStar:

Religion can go a long way to supressing selfishness. Just look at Mother Theresa. As an atheist, she could have or could have not decided to be a humanitarian because atheism is nihilistic, like it or not. That humanistic atheism crap is beyond belief IMO.

Really?

Religion can only be of any benefit if it is absorbed into society. A lot seems to run on the surface nowadays, visibly so that a young person as yourself is forced to engage it on the level that is not it's primary focus. A lot of the problems inherent with religion today are largely due to this.

I'm also an atheist (for the past 49 years). Religion can have a very benificial effect on society provided that it, as a belief system, is not abused.

For example most people are incapable of defining a system of morality for themselves. Religion plays an important role in structuring the rules under which a society operates. If you say that you don't buy into the general concepts of common acceptable social behaviour, and want to "do your own thing", then you become exhibit one in why religion is an essential requirement for civilization.

ApatheticUSA said:
I'm 14 and I'm an athiest(I can see trouble already). Every day I see people trying to convert me to many different religions to save my soul. I have a question, whats the benefit of religions in society? It may be because I do not follow any of these that I don't see the benefits and thats why I'm asking this. I see churchs on almost every street cornor, and then I hear of people starving on tv. I also see commercials wanting 80 cents a day to feed hungry children, when once again they spend thousands of dollars on every church. Anti-homosexual websites are set up, preaching that "The gays are trying to convert your children". People are even killed for having different beliefs. Now back to my question, what is a benefit of religion in society? Is this what "god" would have really wanted?

Bad Religion."
-Bad Religion(Band)

IMO, the biggest benefit is having common ground with rich and powerful
people whom will share their resources with you and fight for you in 'battle'.
It's a pretty good deal and is all about social relationship.

SouthStar:

Apart from religion, there is no logic which can justify why an individual should fucking love his neighbor as himself.

Self-interest goes a long way towards that. It makes sense that you should be good to other people in the hope that they, in return, will be good to you. And if you're not good to them, then why on Earth should they treat you well?

As an atheist, she could have or could have not decided to be a humanitarian because atheism is nihilistic, like it or not. That humanistic atheism crap is beyond belief IMO.

Atheism has nothing to do with humanism. Atheism is a disbelief in Gods. Humanism is a concern for fellow human beings. There's no linkage between the two, either way.

James R said:
SouthStar said:
atheism is nihilistic, like it or not. That humanistic atheism crap is beyond belief IMO.
Atheism has nothing to do with humanism.
Thank you, James - now I understand what SS was saying: he was exactly saying that! That Atheism and Humanism have nothing to do with each other.

Let's take Evangelical Christianity, a large and growing force in the United States which has President George Bush as one of its adherents. (Why people go on and on about Travolta and Cruises' belief in Scientology always boggles my mind. I mean who the f___ cares what they believe! The Chief Executive of the Free World believes in the Rapture!!)

So the principal downside of EC is that they are Fundamentalists who hold dear to the infallibility of the Holy Bible. They are therefore in the forefront of the fight against teaching Evolution in Schools. I have pointed out elsewhere and often as to why this is a particularly shortsighted policy, particularly in the United States, a country more obsessed with healthcare than any other.

The other downside of EC, particularly as they become more prominent in the actual corridors of power is that they are very short-termist, as they are constantly under the impression that Jesus really is going to show up any day now, rapture the True Believers, Fight the Last Battle against Satan, actually and literally in Megiddo, a few miles north of Jerusalem, and then institute his Kingdom. Any.... day........ now.

But there can be no doubt that for people whose lives have absolutely gone into the toilet, EC has been a literal, as well as a metaphorical, godsend. Their best work has been among prisoners, and there are many other people who had gone utterly beyond the societal pale, who are now worthwhile members of the community, all thanks to Jesus.

So, the upshot is that religion can be good ..... if you need religion. But if you don't, you're pretty much better off without it.

First of all, society, or rather civilization isn't necessarily the way humans live best. For a long, long, time, we lived in small groups where everyone knew everyone else, and the worst thing that could happen to you was you were kicked out to fend for yourself in the wilderness.

Religion and modern society are inseparable. Religion is how large societies maintained order until the rise of secular laws, which derive from the legislated morality of religion. These days, the aim of religion in the US, which is mostly Christian, is to subvert the role of government, or perhaps establish some kind of theocracy.

There is no doubt that religious people have tried to help other people, but in my opinion, this is simply a ploy, a public relations move to recruit new members. There is probably some comfort in being part of a large group of people with the same beliefs as yourself, but I don't get it.

James R said:
SouthStar:

Self-interest goes a long way towards that. It makes sense that you should be good to other people in the hope that they, in return, will be good to you. And if you're not good to them, then why on Earth should they treat you well?

In the hope? It seems rather dubious, if you ask me, to base an entire philosophy on a hope. Especially when that hope rests itself on flawed humans. Kinda romantic actually..

Besides that, the point I was trying to get at was one of humanism's apologetics to theists is it's selflessness. That is, humanists say you don't need God in order to open up shelters and orphanages for people who will probably give you very little (or nothing) in return. Problem is: if that is the case, then what logic can provide incentive for humanism? If you reference compassion then you ignore the need for 'rational arguments' (see below definition). If you say compassion is enough rational basis for humanism then you beg the question of why theism is not "enough rational basis".

So that in either case, the logic is not sufficient to justify selflessness.

Atheism has nothing to do with humanism. Atheism is a disbelief in Gods. Humanism is a concern for fellow human beings. There's no linkage between the two, either way.

Well that's rather strange. Every definition I have looked up for humanism seems to be along these lines

a philosophy that usually rejects supernaturalism and stresses an individual's dignity and worth and capacity for self-realization through reason

- Merriam-Webster​

And even from glorious Wikipedia:

Humanism is an active ethical and philosophical approach to life focusing on human solutions to human issues through rational arguments without recourse to a god, gods, sacred texts or religious creeds.

[Emphasis mine in both definitions]

And you say atheism and humanism are unrelated?

Religion makes me angry! It stopped Attila from conquering Rome. Bad pope, bad!
:p

Atheism and humanism are clearly related. Is that a problem? Atheism is a position statement. Secular Humanism is a philosophy with atheism at it's core.

And why do we need logic to justify selflessness? Atheists don't abandon simple human feelings for others just because they don't have a god to tell them not to. Selflessness is as much an inherent, evolved human trait as the need to bitch-slap the neighboring tribe once in a while.

It's not "in the hope", and it's not romantic. It's sound evolutionary theory applied to group selection.

superluminal said:
Atheism and humanism are clearly related. Is that a problem? Atheism is a position statement. Secular Humanism is a philosophy with atheism at it's core.

What James R said was that "There's no linkage between the two, either way."

I was responding to that; I don't have a "problem" :p

And why do we need logic to justify selflessness? [...]

If you take a closer look at the very definition of humanism (either of the ones I provided are sufficient), you would understand that humanism operates through reason.

So that if humanists are not prepared to justify selflessness through logic, then the philosophy falls apart.

As for that bit on "sound evolutionary theory", I will only ask you to provide a few references to material which show how acts of selflessness have anything to do with the theory of evolution. I don't know much about evolution but I'm sure this will not be too much trouble for you.

(I have my own explanation for what catalyzes selfless acts but I'm curious to see where you are getting your information from, if you please. Then we can compare)

SouthStar,

If you google on [evolution morality selflessness +"group selection"] you should find much interesting reading. My opinions are based on this reading, books, and magazine articles over many years. If you still want me to post references (there are potentially hundreds) I will.

Just so you know where I stand, I believe that everything we are is a result of intense genetic competition and evolution at the individual and group levels. I accept no mystical "moraliy" as something from outside us, or our "mind" as some mystical entity seperate from the electro-chemical functions of the brain.

I want to be "good" because it worked for my ancestors. And I also do not believe in "true altruism" the way we commonly think of it. Any altruistic act can be beneficial to your immediate kin or more distant relatives, therefore ultimately beneficial to some version of your genetic material.

And since evolved instincts don't consciously think out the cost/benefit ratio of their actions, altruism can accidentally extend to completely unrelated individuals (but how can you be sure of that?) or even other species (save the dog from a freezing river despite great risk to yourself).

Last edited:
SouthStar:

In the hope? It seems rather dubious, if you ask me, to base an entire philosophy on a hope. Especially when that hope rests itself on flawed humans. Kinda romantic actually..

Not just hope. Also past experience. If you treat other people well, they will treat you well in return. From your own experience, I'm sure you already know that. So, how should you act in future? The best outcome for you will most likely occur if you treat other people well. Right? There's good data which supports that proposition.

That is, humanists say you don't need God in order to open up shelters and orphanages for people who will probably give you very little (or nothing) in return. Problem is: if that is the case, then what logic can provide incentive for humanism?

In the example given, one argument is that by providing shelter and care, you may be diminishing crime. I'm sure you can think of others.

And even from glorious Wikipedia:

Humanism is an active ethical and philosophical approach to life focusing on human solutions to human issues through rational arguments without recourse to a god, gods, sacred texts or religious creeds.

I don't mind this definition. It says that humanists should look for human solutions to human problems. It doesn't tell them what to believe about the existence of gods - just not to rely on gods to help mend the troubles of the world.

And you say atheism and humanism are unrelated?

They are not related by necessity. I'm sure you'd agree that an atheist need not be a humanist. I say that, in addition, a humanist need not be an atheist.

I agree that there is probably a correlation between atheists and humanists, but correlation doesn't mean one implies or causes the other.

Hi SouthStar,
Do you think an atheist can rationally adhere to an ideology?

Pete said:
Hi SouthStar,
Do you think an atheist can rationally adhere to an ideology?

Hi Pete

I have come to suspect that just about anything can be rationalized. An atheists is not necessarily a rationalist, but simply one 'without' theistic beliefs. It therefore depends on what definition you want to use. We can say a baby is an atheist but, usually, when we refer to atheists we refer to rationalists. Now to what I was saying before, because reason is very much artificial, created by fallible human beings, all manner of things can be rationalized and so it becomes one man's rational ways versus another man's illogical ways. For example, an atheist might say a theist is irrational and the theist might rail the same accusation at an atheist. Both parties assume a priori that their rationalizing is.. more rational (never mind how circular that is).

So.. anyone can 'rationally' adhere to an ideology I suppose. In my opinion, 'rational' is a byword used to give a position merit. As you know, many things which we may now scoff at have been called 'reasonable' over the ages - by both theists and atheists. As far as humanism goes, I think we can learn a lot about it's participating rationalists by measuring their consistency. For example, will they make assumptions and decisions for humanism in the name of rationalism while jeering similar assumptions in theism for being irrational?

I personally don't think anyone lives their life rationally - that is, even by their own standards. We fail the very (dubious) standards we use to judge the actions of others as rational or irrational but often end up calling ourselves reasonable.

As Tolstoy said, "It is now clear to me that this was just as in a lunatic asylum; but then I only dimly suspected this, and like all lunatics, simply called all men lunatics except myself."

I hope I answered your question without going on some wild tangent.

Last edited:
James R said:
SouthStar:

Not just hope. Also past experience. If you treat other people well, they will treat you well in return. From your own experience, I'm sure you already know that. So, how should you act in future? The best outcome for you will most likely occur if you treat other people well. Right? There's good data which supports that proposition.

That's a very good point; scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. But it's not a guarantee. But humanism, of course, starts on a rational foot and this is where I find the problem.

Say you had no such experience of reciprocation (eg. every kind action of yours is met with ingratitude). Do you think it would be rational for you to be a humanist? Now imagine that you could maximally benefit yourself by taking advantage of people (as opposed to marginally benefitting yourself by being a humanist). Do you then think it would be rational for you to be a humanist?

Like I said to Pete, I'm not sure what humanists mean by loaded terms like "rational" so, if you consider yourself one, do tell me what such words mean in a humanistic context (eg. whether it has a utilitarian meaning and whatnot).

In the example given, one argument is that by providing shelter and care, you may be diminishing crime. I'm sure you can think of others.

Well here's the conditional "may be" again - hence my earlier label of romanticism. By providing those amenities, you also "may be" providing incentive for those people to start taking advantage of you. Maybe. As far as reason is concerned, your hope that charitability diminishes crime is no more 'rational' than suspecting that thievery will rise from the availability of goods. The gamut of possibilities is wide enough to bring into question the feasibility of such an assumption. I'm also sure you can think of instances in various ghettos (and perhaps even Iraq) where this rationalization was shown to be unfeasible.
There is also the selfless aspect of humanism, which your example does not cover. What if the people you are helping out live on a different continent (so that whatever 'crime' goes on is inconsequential to you), or what if they are an isolated tribe in a remote place? Can reason justify selflessness in such instances?

It is ok to say reason is a tool for humanists, but more problematic to call it the tool for finding "human solutions to human issues". For this reason, a strong atheist who is also a humanist begs the question of why theism is irrational while humanism is not. This is a question many must answer since most atheists you will talk to are strong atheists. Weak atheism implies an ignorance (or rather lack of opinion) on the subject of gods.

I don't mind this definition. It says that humanists should look for human solutions to human problems. It doesn't tell them what to believe about the existence of gods - just not to rely on gods to help mend the troubles of the world.

They are not related by necessity. I'm sure you'd agree that an atheist need not be a humanist. I say that, in addition, a humanist need not be an atheist.

I agree that there is probably a correlation between atheists and humanists, but correlation doesn't mean one implies or causes the other.

It sounds like you are telling me that the definition allows humanists the freedom to believe in God in theory - as long as they don't do so in practice. It's difficult to conceive of such a view, unless you are a deist; but that begs the question of how deism is at all rational (but like I said to Pete, many things can be rationalized). And if you say a humanist need not be an atheist, then that further begs the question of how anyone can pretend to be rational in some aspects of life while being irrational elsewhere. I would hope instead that humanists strive for consistency, lest they appear hypocritical. In the same way, if there is no rational basis for humanism, then what sense does it make for humanism to use reason as a vehicle? That too seems inconsistent.

Last edited:
ApatheticUSA said:

Bad Religion."
-Bad Religion(Band)

I'm impressed with your intellect. Religion is like anything else. Whether it's used for good or for bad depends only upon the intentions of the person who is using it. And yea, this is what God wants for now. The whole "knowledge of good and evil" thing is meant to be a learning experience. But some day, we'll take what we've learned and move on to something much better...cause, you know....evil sucks. And so does bad religion. It really pisses me off when people treat others badly in the name of Jesus...misrepresenting Him to justify their ill intent...taking His name in vain. But what comes around, goes around. Now the band, on the other hand...they don't suck. I saw them at Warped last year.

Back