Autism Hype

Thanks for bringing attention to this, might fetus. I don't really care about autism but it is worrying to see the dangerous ignorance of parents.

It just seems that a few years ago every kid was ADD/ADHD and now every other kid has autism. I know they are better at diagnosing it, but I think a lot of parents excuse their child's bad behavior with "He can't help it, he has ADD/ADHD/autism" Kinda like my mom always used to say about my brother "oh, he just needs a nap"
Just cuz a parent says their kid has it, doesn't mean they have been diagnosed.

Sounds highly plausible given the way it goes with ADD, but do they really misdiagnose autism? All of the autistic people I've seen have very unique characteristics that, unlike ADD, would not blend in.

Thanks for bringing attention to this, might fetus. I don't really care about autism but it is worrying to see the dangerous ignorance of parents.

Sounds highly plausible given the way it goes with ADD, but do they really misdiagnose autism? All of the autistic people I've seen have very unique characteristics that, unlike ADD, would not blend in.

What been happening is that before they just said the child was "retarded" or "mentally impaired", now they say the child is "autistic".

Because in some cases, that is more accurate. I know people who would have been considered severely retarted in the past, but they were diagnosed with autism, and actually went on to get a job and learn life skills. The term retardation doesn't cover all the possibilities. In other words, they may look retarted, but actually have some considerable intelligence.

Because in some cases, that is more accurate. I know people who would have been considered severely retarted in the past, but they were diagnosed with autism, and actually went on to get a job and learn life skills. The term retardation doesn't cover all the possibilities.

Oh I have no problem with it being diagnosed more accurately, its just this seeming increase in childhood autism is being seen as a epidemic by the laymen parents and media and everything is being blame for it, everything but better diagnostics.

It just seems that a few years ago every kid was ADD/ADHD and now every other kid has autism. I know they are better at diagnosing it, but I think a lot of parents excuse their child's bad behavior with "He can't help it, he has ADD/ADHD/autism" Kinda like my mom always used to say about my brother "oh, he just needs a nap"
Just cuz a parent says their kid has it, doesn't mean they have been diagnosed.

i totally agree with you, it took me 3 years for my older boy to be diagnosed with OCD, Bi polar, ADHD, Tourettes and it took me 2 years for my younger son to be diagnosed with severe ADHD. to many mums and dads for that matter are busy excusing johnnys bad behaviour with the line, "Oh he cant help it, he has ADHD/ADD" it makes people who went through hell and back with they're kids (who have the condition) seem like idiots!

personlly i think that some kids need a damn good slap right from the get go!

yes autism can be and is regulary mis diagnosed! There are conditions that seem like autism but in fact are not!

I was misdiagnosed with autism. But autism and ADHD are in fact related, I actually think that ADHD is just a mild form of autism. They are both related to poor sensory regulation in the brain. Autistic kids have super hightened senses and kids with ADHD can't block their sensory input. They physically have less brain tissue than normal and ADHD can be caused by toxins introduced in utero or during infancy, so I don't see why autism can't be induced the same way. perhaps people giving too many vaccinations at once, something that small bodies aren't prepared to deal with just yet. If I ever have kids I plan on spacing their vaccinations since vaccines aren't exactly natural they should be introduced gradually.

For what its worth, (I saw the series on CNN), Autism translators are bogus i think. I mean i dont really know if they can translate it rightfully or not, But then i cannot be a judge, since i dont know anyone who has had autism in their family.

Rick

Autisic children do not tend to be very nice and they usually have some island of genius, like memorizing the lyrics to every song they have ever heard. That I thought was amazing. Name a song and the kid knew the lyrics like some sort of database.

Back