Atheists what is your proof?

Well excuuuuse me... Let me rephrase that for you.

You know, as long as you live long enough to reproduce and see that your offspring survive then that's all Mother Nature needs you for your genes have been passed on, life continues and you may now exit stage left - or hang around and watch the show. Provided you still have enough good teeth to eat with. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Actually you make a good point. It is much too easy to describe nature in human terms. We use analogies to explain complex concepts in bite size chunks. The problem is that most religious people "believe" the analogies are the reality.
I'm not sure where you want to go with this if you want to head in the direction that there is no designer (or an imperfect one)
:shrug:

yes, indeed

The word empirical denotes information gained by means of observation, experience, or experiment.[1] A central concept in science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based, that is, dependent on evidence or consequences that are observable by the senses.

Ultimately all evidence is observable by the senses, even if we record events that are not, because we are required to interpret the data.

That does not mean however that it is our senses that are recording the data, or that the data is prone to interpretation by our senses.

I don't see where you are going with this, seems like you have a minor nit pick, but can't really use it to make a point. We use experiments to gather data, and make sure we do not skew the results. We remove ourselves as far as possible.

Ultimately all evidence is observable by the senses, even if we record events that are not, because we are required to interpret the data.
incorrect

That does not mean however that it is our senses that are recording the data, or that the data is prone to interpretation by our senses.
it doesn't?
How does one even begin an empirical investigation unless they have senses capable of recording and the skills to interpret such information?

I don't see where you are going with this, seems like you have a minor nit pick, but can't really use it to make a point. We use experiments to gather data, and make sure we do not skew the results. We remove ourselves as far as possible.
If the senses (or augmented senses, in the case of say a micro/telescope or whatever) are always relegated to a band width between the macro and the micro, its working field is tacit. This means it has no capacity to entertain claims like "all things are materially reducible ". It has nothing to do with technological advancement. Its simply the epistemological constraints of the discipline.

Understanding this, one can see the claim "science disproves god" as erroneous.

You are saying that scientists design experiments and gather data that ultimately, they cannot process into a result they can view?

I think you are being deliberately obtuse now.

it doesn't?
How does one even begin an empirical investigation unless they have senses capable of recording and the skills to interpret such information?

We can't see X-Rays with our senses, yet we have equipment that can make them, and detect them. Simply, we use equipment to fill in where our senses cannot sense. This is common sense. Seems you lack sense.

That's a big thread. Can you direct me to the post with the definition?

:) It was too big for me to go back through as well. Let me just try again here. Note, this is basically a Christian theology with perhaps my own spin on some things. So fee free to preface all of my statements with "I believe" or "It is the Christian belief that":

God is the name given to a conscious being that created everything physical in our universe. Currently that understanding applies to all of space and time. If through scientific discovery we find more to our universe, then God is the creator of that as well. God fundamentally "exists" (whatever that may mean to Him) OUTSIDE our universe, including time. This means that for God, our universe is a static thing. It is analogous to a painter creating a painting. Everything that occurs does so according to "His Will" because it was all created by him (according to his will). Much like any given painting carries signature aspects that we can use to trace an unsigned painting to its creator, so too are there markers in the way the universe works that applies to God. It is through these markers - sometimes physical, sometimes psychological, etc. - that we better "know" God. Because these are all manifested within his creation, they are indistinguishable for us from everything we understand scientifically. IOW, he created the science, so his character is "stamped" on everything.

Of course, all of this has no specific religious connotations, and different religions have different ideas of what characteristics in particular apply to God. Insomuch as religions get hijacked by people, there are no doubt countless characteristics that are false. I would be extremely hesitant to ever say "God says ..." because I'm not him. I call myself a Christian because I believe Jesus was the closest person yet to identifying and understanding these characteristics - the closest to "knowing God". I believe this is what he was saying when he made comments like "I am the way".

Given the nature of the relationship between God and his creation, I don't see how anything could ever "prove" his existence - in fact, the proof is irrelevant. At the end of the day, we only have scientific inquiry to better understand the physical world. Characteristics, particularly as the apply to human nature, that seem to have a pattern but no physical explanation (yet) are the hallmarks of "divine inspiration". When man realizes truths without realizing WHY they are truth he calls them God. These truths are just as real and part of the universe whether there really is that external consciousness or not. An excellent example is an article I just read yesterday in Scientific American Mind. It touches on the efficacy of superstitions in improving people's performance. Basically, superstitions provide a subconscious optimism that drives us to do better. This may be precisely how prayer works. By believing it will help us, it will indeed help us (through faith and faith alone - the article even says that once people realize the mechanics behind the function of the superstition, the benefit goes away). The fact that this so closely mirrors what religions say about prayer gives the religious tenets strength in my mind. IOW, whether you believe in the divine consciousness or not, there is ancient wisdom in religion that far predates our scientific understanding of the way certain things in creation work. To dismiss them out of hand because one cannot prove the existence of the external consciousness is foolish because the presence of the external consciousness is irrelevant to the function of the universe, and as is exhibited in the recent article, sometimes it is the faith itself that provides a benefit to people.

I want you to clearly understand what you just said... which is you would prefer to have an answer that isn't true than to say "I don't know" and wait for a true answer. That means you value the psychological satiation of having an answer more than truth (i.e. you value how you feel more than truth). This fully supports my statement that belief puts "truth" in the back seat.

No, that is not what I am saying. Continuing the line of thought from above, what I am saying is that belief is recognizing the truth in things, and accepting them as true, without having any deeper understanding. I am content to hold on to my beliefs until or unless some deeper understanding reveals more about it. Of course, given my belief regarding the nature of the interaction between "God" and the rest of the universe, it is impossible for deeper understandings of things to ever diminish my faith and convictions, but by the same token there is still just as much room for improved understanding as there is in the mind of any atheist - perhaps more, since I can accept some things without proof and move on, continuing to learn more without getting hung up on the things that cannot be proven.

No it isn't. Theists have faulty logic. It's been demonstrated time over. It's a fair comment. Simply, they go beyond faith, without proof. That's not logical. It's also been proven that generally belief decreases as IQ increases. Proven. Got that? It's also been shown that generally atheists have a better knowledge of religious texts than theists. Got that?

Read my above comment. At this point, there is scientific evidence that sometimes going on faith, without logic, is the most effective. So one could easily argue that requiring full understanding (from a physical aspect) at least sometimes actually hinders your ability and progress. Which then is illogical?

As for your statistic regarding the relationship between faith and IQ, first of all it is just that - a statistic, and like all statistics must be interpreted. As such, it isn't "proof" of anything. The way you phrased it indicated a belief on your part that there is a direct relationship between faith and intelligence, as though it is impossible to "believe" if you are smart. There are SO MANY alternative propositions though that would fit that data. For example, one could argue that as IQ increases in family structures, the more likely an individual is to question the lessons of their parents, and since the majority of families over the last few generations have taught theism, these high IQ individuals are more likely to rebel against it, thus becoming atheists. After all, at one point in time (like during the dark ages), it was only the educated that were taught religion, and the higher the IQ the more likely one would be fully versed in faith, and the more likely they would be to believe.

Furthermore, your grouping of all theists into a stereotype that says "Theists have faulty logic. It's been demonstrated time over." would suggest that fault logic arises from theism (or perhaps vice versa) and ignores the simple possibility that some other characteristic equally contributes to both faith and - as you put it - faulty logic. To put it in other terms, think about something like the iPhone. It is popular, it is a touchscreen, it is made by Apple, it has a simple UI, it only comes in black and white, etc. To just take two of those characteristics and lump them together as though they are related is horribly inaccurate. I could for example say that black and white devices are the most popular - that BECAUSE something is black and/or white it will be popular. Clearly false. Or touch screen devices are made by Apple. (et. al.)

My point here is that just because you have seen a corrolation between faulty logic and theists doesn't mean there is a direction cause and effect relationship. To fairly make the statement you made above, you would have to show a clear connection between theism itself and a lack of logic - not between theists and logic (or the lack thereof).

Got that? (I actually take that back, it is demeaning and insulting. Perhaps you could show the same courtesy?)

Is there a 'famous' quote? One you couldn't even be bothered to Google?

No, I can't be - not for something that I would assume everyone on here would recognize. I'm also not going to cite a reference if I mention the sky is blue.

You also need to recognise that "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." (Carl Sagan(I can be bothered to use and credit quotes to back up my posts, see?)). Theists claim there is a God. Not merely that they have faith in there being a God, but that there actually is. The latter requires proof. We ask for it. It is always flawed logic, fallacious argument, incomplete, or relies on faith, which demeans the premise. All atheists do, is remain unconvinced. Occasionally we might get a little annoyed with the same tired old debunked arguments being rehashed and brought back up again.

Can you not see the meaning in "faith"? Theists claim there is a God because that is what they believe. Such is the nature of the word "belief". I THINK you are TRYING to say that theists think they KNOW there is a God, and I would agree that such a thought represents a lack of logic and understanding. But what you ACTUALLY typed represents a lack of understanding on your part of the meaning of words like belief, so I'm really not sure what else to say. Technically, what you are describing as an atheist is actually an agnostic. Perhaps you could spend a little less time looking up quotes that people already know and a little more time looking up the definitions to words you clearly don't?

Now, if you want to defend the theist mindset, how about you try to construct a logical argument for God, and support it with some evidence.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, and as I have already said on more than one occassion in this thread alone, the burden of proof is on the one trying to convince the other. Since I'm not trying to convince you of anything (I doubt you'd understand anyway), I'm not going to bother. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that has any impact on any argument. If you want to convince me that there is no God, let's here YOUR logical argument. If you want to say that you don't know, don't continue about with the attitude of an atheist, as though those who believe in God are somehow beneath you. I too don't know, but I do believe.

See, if that were true, if there were an interface between this world, and some other level of experience, we should be able to find the 'receptor' that exists in this world. If that truly is your argument, go find evidence for the receptor.

But here's the thing. We know simple chemicals can alter a personality, which rather scuppers the idea of that personality belonging to an independent soul. We know brain damage also changes personality. Know, you might argue the entire brain is merely a 'receptor', but then, you'd have to come up with some extraordinary proof to overturn all the current research and understanding, and propose a new mechanism for personality. Instead of hiding behind uncertainties, maybe it's time for theists to offer something of substance, or simply admit, it's all just about faith, and it's not necessary for it to be true.

See my comments above about God and how He interacts with the universe. Everything you describe here fits in perfectly with my definition of God. But as you say, theists most definitely need to admit that it's all about faith, and not necessarily true. I freely make that claim. And you're right, all theists should do the same - just as all atheists should. Agnosticism is the only truth when it comes to the question of God's existence. Anyone who claims otherwise is at the very least stubborn, and at the worst an idiot. (Or perhaps it is the other way around? Is it better to be an idiot - which perhaps you cannot change - or stubborn - which you can but don't?)

You are saying that scientists design experiments and gather data that ultimately, they cannot process into a result they can view?

I think you are being deliberately obtuse now.
I posted the link with the hope that you would read it

Its explaining several different theories of knowledge acquisition (of which empiricism is but one)

We can't see X-Rays with our senses, yet we have equipment that can make them, and detect them. Simply, we use equipment to fill in where our senses cannot sense. This is common sense. Seems you lack sense.
can you understand how these things merely augment one's senses and don't bring anything new to the problem?

I posted the link with the hope that you would read it

Its explaining several different theories of knowledge acquisition (of which empiricism is but one)

You miss the point. Scientists gather cold hard data, and use it to make models and predictions that are correct within experimental accuracy. They don't waste their time pretending to be a pseudo intellectual who merely casts doubt on 'knowledge'.

can you understand how these things merely augment one's senses and don't bring anything new to the problem?

What a shortsighted viewpoint you have. Chances are the processor in the computer you are using was etched using x-ray lithography. There isn't a 'problem' there is an application. Scientists use knowledge to build stuff. They don't sit and contemplate their navel fluff.

Read my above comment. At this point, there is scientific evidence that sometimes going on faith, without logic, is the most effective.

Then I'd just love to see this 'scientific proof'.

As for your statistic regarding the relationship between faith and IQ, first of all it is just that - a statistic,

Confirmed with acceptable confidence. Do you understand statistics?

and like all statistics must be interpreted.

Yes, and the interpretation is that dumb people are more likely to believe in God. It really is that clear cut.

As such, it isn't "proof" of anything.

Yes it is. It's proof of a trend that dumb people are more likely to believe in God.

The way you phrased it indicated a belief on your part that there is a direct relationship between faith and intelligence,

Generally there is a trend. That's how statistics work.

as though it is impossible to "believe" if you are smart.

No, it just gets less likely. That's how statistics work.

There are SO MANY alternative propositions though that would fit that data.

No, really there aren't.

For example, one could argue that as IQ increases in family structures, the more likely an individual is to question the lessons of their parents, and since the majority of families over the last few generations have taught theism, these high IQ individuals are more likely to rebel against it, thus becoming atheists. After all, at one point in time (like during the dark ages), it was only the educated that were taught religion, and the higher the IQ the more likely one would be fully versed in faith, and the more likely they would be to believe.

You are proposing a mechanism, not falsifying the very real results. Oh, it wasn't just the educated that were taught religion. The whole reason bibles were in latin, is so the act of teaching to the uneducated must come from a vicar. Religion is about control of the dumb masses.

Furthermore, your grouping of all theists into a stereotype that says "Theists have faulty logic.

If I'm wrong, then it should be simple for you to find a theist that has created a logical proof for the existence of God.

It's been demonstrated time over." would suggest that fault logic arises from theism (or perhaps vice versa) and ignores the simple possibility that some other characteristic equally contributes to both faith and - as you put it - faulty logic.

Like I care what the cause is. Theists are generally dumber that atheists. Maybe in the future we'll create a cure for theism. Who knows.

My point here is that just because you have seen a corrolation between faulty logic and theists doesn't mean there is a direction cause and effect relationship.

So you don't understand statistics.

No, I can't be - not for something that I would assume everyone on here would recognize. I'm also not going to cite a reference if I mention the sky is blue.

So you are lazy, and arrogant.

Can you not see the meaning in "faith"? Theists claim there is a God because that is what they believe.

They seldom qualify their viewpoint as being unsubstantiated speculation, do they?

Such is the nature of the word "belief". I THINK you are TRYING to say that theists think they KNOW there is a God,

That is exactly what I'm saying. Take that fruitcake Lori7, she says God talks to her. Others say they feel they are swayed by God's hand, or they feel God watching over them. These are psychological symptoms that can be recreated in the laboratory, however.

and I would agree that such a thought represents a lack of logic and understanding. But what you ACTUALLY typed represents a lack of understanding on your part of the meaning of words like belief, so I'm really not sure what else to say.

Nope, I made it clear they only have faith, and not the knowledge they claim.

Technically, what you are describing as an atheist is actually an agnostic.

Nope. Agnosticism is not some wishy washy mid ground between theism and atheism, because there is none. You either believe in God, or you don't. Agnosticsm makes a rather useless point about being able to _know_ but it should not be confused with belief.

Perhaps you could spend a little less time looking up quotes that people already know and a little more time looking up the definitions to words you clearly don't?

My, you are arrogant aren't you? And I didn't need to look it up. I've debated and debunked enough religious loonies to remember the quote.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything,

No, please do try. I could do with a laugh. Let's see what tired old crap feeds your faith. See what incomplete nonsense you find satisfactory.

If you want to convince me that there is no God, let's here YOUR logical argument.

I don't. It would be waste of my time. There is no proof for, end of story. There is no proof for a lot of things, I'm not going to provide arguments against those either.

If you want to say that you don't know,
The point that you clearly miss, is that nobody knows.

don't continue about with the attitude of an atheist,

I am an atheist.

as though those who believe in God are somehow beneath you.

Theists are beneath me. IQ wise, generally speaking.

I too don't know, but I do believe.

I know you don't know, because nobody does. It's the fallacious bullshit that gives you faith I'm more interested in.

See my comments above about God and how He interacts with the universe. Everything you describe here fits in perfectly with my definition of God.

Can you recap your definition please, and include a mechanism for the interaction?

Agnosticism is the only truth when it comes to the question of God's existence.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Wrong. Agnosticism is merely about not being able to know the truth about the existence of God, not actually about the existence of God.

Last edited:
Lightgigantic simply states that there is that which cannot be observed or detected in any way, but he believes it exists, because... somehow, he knows?

Lightgigantic simply states that there is that which cannot be observed or detected in any way, but he believes it exists, because... somehow, he knows?

Worse than that, he attempts to falsify science and real knowledge using philosophical arguments.

Science works, I don't really care how he feels or what he thinks about that.

Worse than that, he attempts to falsify science and real knowledge using philosophical arguments.

Science works, I don't really care how he feels or what he thinks about that.
So the point is that he is, in fact, pointless.

:) It was too big for me to go back through as well. Let me just try again here. Note, this is basically a Christian theology with perhaps my own spin on some things. So fee free to preface all of my statements with "I believe" or "It is the Christian belief that":

God is the name given to a conscious being that created everything physical in our universe. Currently that understanding applies to all of space and time. If through scientific discovery we find more to our universe, then God is the creator of that as well. God fundamentally "exists" (whatever that may mean to Him) OUTSIDE our universe, including time. This means that for God, our universe is a static thing. It is analogous to a painter creating a painting. Everything that occurs does so according to "His Will" because it was all created by him (according to his will). Much like any given painting carries signature aspects that we can use to trace an unsigned painting to its creator, so too are there markers in the way the universe works that applies to God. It is through these markers - sometimes physical, sometimes psychological, etc. - that we better "know" God. Because these are all manifested within his creation, they are indistinguishable for us from everything we understand scientifically. IOW, he created the science, so his character is "stamped" on everything.

I am glad you gave me that description as I would have never pulled that out of the other thread :). To paraphrase, "God" in this case is being defined as a conscious life form that created our particular universe (space-time) and exists outside of it. Would this be an accurate interpretation?

Also, I did read the rest of what you had to say. Some of it I agree with and I may come back to it based on how the debate progresses.

No, that is not what I am saying. Continuing the line of thought from above, what I am saying is that belief is recognizing the truth in things, and accepting them as true, without having any deeper understanding.

I think we may have some fundamental differences on word definitions. We should hash that out now and start using more technical terminology. I am going to provide some explicit definitions for several key words and if your definitions differ, please list them out:

Truth:
A state where some idea/notion in your mind matches actual reality.

Evidence:
A demonstration that some idea/notion matches actual reality.

A-Belief:
Non-acceptance that an idea/notion matches or doesn't match actual reality.

Malleable Belief:
Temporary acceptance that an idea/notion matches actual reality.

Gap Belief:
Acceptance that an idea/notion matches actual reality until demonstrated as being incorrect.

Immutable Belief:
Permanent acceptance that an idea/notion matches actual reality regardless of whether or not it does.

...Of course, given my belief regarding the nature of the interaction between "God" and the rest of the universe, it is impossible for deeper understandings of things to ever diminish my faith and convictions...

There's two primary paths that could make that a reality. The first is for someone to discard evidence that contradicts his/or faith. The second, is to place the object of faith "out of bounds" so it is beyond introspection/interaction. You appear to have opted for the latter and as our debate progresses, you may discovere that you have not placed it far enough out of bounds.

Last edited:
phlogistician,

Well fuck me.

:eek:

You say we have no evidence, and then say we can't base things on no evidence.

No i didn't.
I said, "your belief is NOT based on evidence."

But this isn't about evidence for atheism.

Then wtf are you talking about?

It's about theists providing proof,

Proof of their belief?

We do not have to have evidence God does not exists to not believe. You however should be be able to offer some to back up your belief.

You should have evidence that there is not evidence for God.
Plus, by stating there is no evidence, you imply that you will know when
evidence is presented.
But the truth of the matter is, you have put yourself in the position of not
having to believe in God, meaning you have made a conscious decision to not believe in God whether he exists or not.

No, go see if you can find something, anything, to make belief in God seem reasonable.

You're just wasting time.
You're not interested in anything to do with God, to the point where
you want to irradicate belief.

And try to steer clear of the double negatives, seem you only confuse yourself with those.

I suggest you read what is actually written instead of wasting time.

jan.

spidergoat,

That there is no evidence for a God? I agree.

So with that in mind, what is God?

No Jan, evidence is observer-independent.

How do you know?

No Jan, we cannot prove they don't exist because-

It doesn't matter about proof, nobody believes in them.

Correct. To prove something doesn't exist with absolute certainty, we need absolute knowledge, which we will never have. Thus making your question rather absurd. Following your logic, does that make it legitimate to believe anything? I say no, since that opens the door to an infinite variety of unsupported beliefs.

You are claiming God does not exist because of lack of evidence. Right?
That means you know or have some idea of what God is. Right?
What is that knowledge or idea?

Irrelevent. The beliefs of the majority do not determine truth. People believe all sorts of things that are considered "common sense" but aren't true.

It's very relevant. If a handfull (by comparison to everybody) believed, it
would be very odd. They would need alot of power, and continuosly work very hard to try and brainwash the world they were correct.
Remind you of any group?

When defined in that way, we can ask some questions about this hypothesis.

It's not a scientific edeavour.

Did the creation of the universe break any physical laws?

That's a stupid question.

Meaning, could it have come about through naturalistic means?

So nature brought nature into being?
Do you know how silly that sounds?

Furthermore, it opens up the question of where did (an inherently complex) God come from?

No it doesn't.
You only bring that up to waste time.

It is far more likely for simple and undirected things to arise spontaneously, as we can observe today with particle pairs arising and canceling each other out.

Stuff coming from nothing.
Ultimately you have to subscribe to this nonsense
You're being conned, and now you want to con others.

What you are admitting is that the idea of God is not logical, in that no rational means of investigation are used in the creation of this theory, or in the defense of this theory. So, it can be dismissed as superstition.

I'm admiting no such thing.
You, are wasting time.

jan.

Back