Atheists what is your proof?

SolusCado,

That's just it - difference from what? If you are suggesting that God would create a universe that follows certain rules, and then in certain spots arbitrarily break those rules - and that is what you are looking for as proof - then you are looking for an imperfect God. A perfect God would have created the universe to follow its rules perfectly. God's place in the universe would be indistinguishable from the "natural" processes implemented by God.

And what you are not getting in the above is that there is then no need for a god to interact. Yet you will continue to claim there is.

None of that actually proves anything. We are all limited in our understanding of reality to our ability to perceive. If all of our perceptions are illusions, how do we know any of it is true "reality"?

Sure, but take your pick.

What we perceive to be real is real

or

It's all an illusion

What say you ?

phlogistician,

How can God just always have been?

Because that is His nature.

No, mortals.

Yes, in trancendence.

What is spirit made of?

That is like asking what is matter made of.

No, that would be your flawed view of it. See, this equation:
demonstrated the relationship between matter and energy, and how much energy you get when you destroy matter. Scripture is wrong is it says what you say it does.

The concesus seems to be that neither matter nor energy can be created or, destroyed, only altered.

That wasn't a good analogy.

Why?

You haven't given a single logical answer.

Liar.

No it doesn't. You had to make up so many excuses it certainly doesn't make sense.

Yeah right! :rolleyes:

jan.

SolusCado,

From Phlog

“ Originally Posted by SolusCado
I have never defined the will of God as anything other than the laws of nature, of physics. ”

Then there is no need to hold your belief in the supernatural.

Exactly.

So you believe in the supernatural because you just like the idea?

That is certainly one way of putting it. I think it is a bit more complex than that, but it would not be untrue to boil it down to that. Frankly, that applies to anyone of faith. They believe something because they choose to. There may be many different ways of describing what gives them faith, from "personal experiences" to "spiritual connections" but since all of those are manifested in our reality through ... well, OUR REALITY, they all boil down to "because we want to".

I for example am faced with two clear choices. The universe (whatever that may be, whether it is simply our visible spacetime, or an infinite number of P-Branes, or something else entirely) either came into being from nothing, or has existed "forever" (whatever that means in a pre-time reality) - or God has existed forever (whatever that means in a non-time reality). The nature of the definition of God lends itself better to such inscrutability than the universe itself, so - I choose faith.

There are other reasons I have aready posted, but the above is the most relevant to this conversation.

And what you are not getting in the above is that there is then no need for a god to interact. Yet you will continue to claim there is.

On the contrary - I have never said there is a need for God to exist. He either exists or doesn't regardless of whether we think he needs to for the universe to exist. I believe because I choose to. And I don't "claim" there is a God. I "believe" there is a God. There is a difference. It is clear though that the very concept of faith continues to elude atheists (which makes sense, as they have none). But that is what this all boils down to. FAITH. That's it. It's as simple as that.

or

It's all an illusion

What say you ?

Frankly, that gets into such deep philosophy that I don't care. If we are all living in the matrix, and I can't get out - I only care about reality as I perceive it.

SolusCado,

What I see you saying is more along the lines of this:

http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm

With the god of the bible being crammed in there somehow.

Insomuch as the relationship between physical reality and God, yes. But I do believe in a supernatural realm, with supernatural beings. Not because anything in physical reality requires it, but because I have faith that it does. No proof, no evidence, faith.

I'm not sure that it is based, or dependant on anything.
I'm inclined to think it is a natural understanding.

If you can discuss it, defend it, value it and justify it, then it would appear it is based on something, it depends on something.

When a theist of a different tradition criticizes you and claims you're wrong, do you disagree with them, and if yes, on the grounds of what?

SolusCado,

On the contrary - I have never said there is a need for God to exist. He either exists or doesn't regardless of whether we think he needs to for the universe to exist. I believe because I choose to. And I don't "claim" there is a God. I "believe" there is a God. There is a difference. It is clear though that the very concept of faith continues to elude atheists (which makes sense, as they have none). But that is what this all boils down to. FAITH. That's it. It's as simple as that.

Insomuch as the relationship between physical reality and God, yes. But I do believe in a supernatural realm, with supernatural beings. Not because anything in physical reality requires it, but because I have faith that it does. No proof, no evidence, faith.

Fair enough. You're certainly entitled to believe and of course nobody knows.

Which is why I don't care about others belief in god(s), I only have issue with claims of knowledge of exact paths etc to a particular god.

Which is why people like definitions of the god you believe in, otherwise there is no discussion.

Originally Posted by jpappl

or

It's all an illusion

What say you ? ”

Frankly, that gets into such deep philosophy that I don't care. If we are all living in the matrix, and I can't get out - I only care about reality as I perceive it.

Sure, what I am suggesting is that we can discuss, argue and speculate all we want about what might be etc, but we know we exist.

Anything beyond that is either not knowable or we don't know yet.

So, the choice should be "we are real" because that is all we know.

Whether that knowing is also an illusion is an unnecessary leap without evidence to support such a position.

cado said:
It is clear though that the very concept of faith continues to elude atheists (which makes sense, as they have none). But that is what this all boils down to. FAITH. That's it. It's as simple as that
No it isn't. Your inability to grant the existence of faith in the atheistic (which will, if the path proves typical, corner you into some odd twisting notions of deity) has no more basis in reason than your belief in deity.

And that is the issue: not the existence of faith, but its alignment with reason. You accept not only disjunction but an opposition that need not - should not, in my opinion - be accepted.

I have never defined the will of God as anything other than the laws of nature, of physics. ”

Then there is no need to hold your belief in the supernatural.

Exactly.
The jump to the supernatural is too quick, and muddles things. The laws of physics are human named patterns, human described - clearly they won't do for a deity. But that leaves a lot of room for aspects of the world as humans ever-partially grasp it that are neither "supernatural" nor mechanical.

ardena said:
What is spirit made of?

That is like asking what is matter made of.
That question has been long and diligently explored, with the full resources of human reason and effort, and no small degree of success. But then, the experts in matter are honest people.

ardena said:
No, that would be your flawed view of it. See, this equation:
demonstrated the relationship between matter and energy, and how much energy you get when you destroy matter. Scripture is wrong is it says what you say it does.

The concesus seems to be that neither matter nor energy can be created or, destroyed, only altered.
The consensus is that matter can be both created and destroyed.

SolusCado,
Fair enough. You're certainly entitled to believe and of course nobody knows.

Which is why I don't care about others belief in god(s), I only have issue with claims of knowledge of exact paths etc to a particular god.

Which is why people like definitions of the god you believe in, otherwise there is no discussion.

Sure, what I am suggesting is that we can discuss, argue and speculate all we want about what might be etc, but we know we exist.

Anything beyond that is either not knowable or we don't know yet.

So, the choice should be "we are real" because that is all we know.

Whether that knowing is also an illusion is an unnecessary leap without evidence to support such a position.

:) Agreed. And incidentally, your statement that the choice should be "we are real" because that is all we know is also how I would describe free will. We have it because that is all we know.

Why would that make God a static object? In what sense? What would that even mean outside our familiar dimensions?

Quite simply, no time would mean no before or after. If God exists outside of time then it has no capacity to have a moment where it decides to create something and then another moment where it creates something.

I don't have any interest in engaging in a semantic dispute. Do you not understand what I am saying, or are you just trying to pick apart words for the hell of it?

The point was to help you understand that "truth" is not an identity for "reality".

True enough (that imagination and lies are real, but what they represent are not). Sure, why not - non-lies and non-imagination are true. But again, I'm really not interested in getting into a semantic debate here.

Ok if a non-lie is true then what that means is that the content represented by the non-lie matches actual reality; therefore, truth itself isn't reality... it is only when what's represented in a persons mind matches reality. Similarly, something that isn't true is when what's represented in a person's mind doesn't match reality (as you have correctly pointed out).

Semantic Issue

In this case I would disagree. Humans have an interesting psychology where they can exercise belief (or absence of) independent of knowledge. I originally defined A-Belief as an absence of belief for or against some idea. You had an interpretation of anti-belief so I provided an example which you interpreted as agnosticism. I then provided the distinction to show A-Belief is a separate entity from agnosticism.

None of that actually proves anything. We are all limited in our understanding of reality to our ability to perceive. If all of our perceptions are illusions, how do we know any of it is true "reality"?

Quite simple. If you can use reality to cancel/alter your perception/cognitive abilities then it is not an illusion. For example, take a nice heaping dose of anesthetic. Your perception will be canceled. Apply a transcranial magnetic stimulation to your frontal lobe. You will suddenly be able to draw phenomenally better.

That's just it - difference from what? If you are suggesting that God would create a universe that follows certain rules, and then in certain spots arbitrarily break those rules - and that is what you are looking for as proof - then you are looking for an imperfect God. A perfect God would have created the universe to follow its rules perfectly. God's place in the universe would be indistinguishable from the "natural" processes implemented by God.

In this case God would have zero interaction with the universe. It wouldn't be any different than a universe it didn't create.

First of all, I'm not "hiding God"

Of course you are. You even admitted it by stating that as our understanding or reality improves, you will move the goal posts of 'God' so that it is always beyond introspection.

- and I'm most certainly not trying to spread anything to others.

You might not be personally, but most religions (including Christianity) do so quite aggressively.

My interest in theology and science is to understand what the scriptures might really mean in light of an ever-changing understanding of reality.

Everyone has a hobby I suppose.

To understand both spirituality and the physical world is my goal.

Spirituality is pleasure from deep appreciation. The "physical world" is simply reality.

I use two separate tools to do so. I really don't care if you find my understanding of God to be appealing or creative. If you find something contradictory, then my understanding is flawed and that would be something that I would find of interest.

Eventually the scientific tool set will show you that belief in weird things (like the paranormal) is part of how we psychologically adapted from an evolutionary standpoint. Anthropomorphism and hierarchical relations will be at the center stage of that journey.

"we are real" because that is all we know

Unless you're using the royal "we" there, any given solipsists would deny even that.

So, prove to me that you and I are "real."

is also how I would describe free will. We have it because that is all we know.

Prove that you have free will. The fact that you think you do could just be an illusion, no? You might not even exist at all.

Quite simply, no time would mean no before or after. If God exists outside of time then it has no capacity to have a moment where it decides to create something and then another moment where it creates something.

Only in reference to our sense of time. That isn't to say there is no other sense of time outside our own. To think about it from another perspective, what was before the Big Bang? Modern theories incorporate the idea of an infinite number of brane-universes that bump into each other, initiating big bangs. Time as we know it exists within each of those branes, but there is still something on the outside of each brane that is governed by that same sense of before and after.

The point was to help you understand that "truth" is not an identity for "reality".

Then just say so. I have no objection to that statement.

Ok if a non-lie is true then what that means is that the content represented by the non-lie matches actual reality; therefore, truth itself isn't reality... it is only when what's represented in a persons mind matches reality. Similarly, something that isn't true is when what's represented in a person's mind doesn't match reality (as you have correctly pointed out).

In this case I would disagree. Humans have an interesting psychology where they can exercise belief (or absence of) independent of knowledge. I originally defined A-Belief as an absence of belief for or against some idea. You had an interpretation of anti-belief so I provided an example which you interpreted as agnosticism. I then provided the distinction to show A-Belief is a separate entity from agnosticism.

Ok, whatever. I am tired of the semantics game. Please provide a concise definition of agnosticism and atheism, for the purpose of this discussion and we can stick to that.

Quite simple. If you can use reality to cancel/alter your perception/cognitive abilities then it is not an illusion. For example, take a nice heaping dose of anesthetic. Your perception will be canceled. Apply a transcranial magnetic stimulation to your frontal lobe. You will suddenly be able to draw phenomenally better.

What on earth does that have to do with anything? What if the altered perception is just part of the illusion? This is an age-old discussion which can never be "proven" in any real sense. We all agree to call our perceptions reality because otherwise we'd have no sense of reality, and we'd never get anywhere.

In this case God would have zero interaction with the universe. It wouldn't be any different than a universe it didn't create.

Correct, which is why I find the atheistic objection to theism in and of itself to be ridiculous. Objections to certain theists I completely understand.

Of course you are. You even admitted it by stating that as our understanding or reality improves, you will move the goal posts of 'God' so that it is always beyond introspection.

Beyond testability with physical science, not beyond introspection.

You might not be personally, but most religions (including Christianity) do so quite aggressively.

Not the ones I know. (Though I do know plenty who do.) In either case, since when do we judge people based on the stereotypes of the group? I thought we had moved past that when we moved past racism.

Eventually the scientific tool set will show you that belief in weird things (like the paranormal) is part of how we psychologically adapted from an evolutionary standpoint. Anthropomorphism and hierarchical relations will be at the center stage of that journey.

There's no "eventually" to it. I posted a link on here just the other day about how superstitions have a psychological effect that actually does improve one's performance, and suggested that this may be how prayer works. Evolutionary psychology is a subject I find deeply interesting. The difference that some on here STILL don't get is that I believe such things are the mechanisms through which God works. Indistinguishable from a universe in which there is no God. I get it. Either one could be the case. I choose to believe one; atheists choose to believe another. There will never be any way to know while we are alive.

Unless you're using the royal "we" there, any given solipsists would deny even that.

Prove that you have free will. The fact that you think you do could just be an illusion, no? You might not even exist at all.

You are echoing points that have already been made on this forum. I don't feel like repeating them.

Quadraphonics,

Do you believe you are real ?

Why wouldn't I/We take the simpliest answer. Whether it's just an illusion or not, since there is no evidence of an illusion and since I do exist, why add things that don't need to be added.

Give me a reason to consider it all an illusion.

Last edited:
soulcado said:
Beyond testability with physical science, not beyond introspection.
No such place, by all appearances.
soulcado said:
We all agree to call our perceptions reality because otherwise we'd have no sense of reality,
No such agreement is evident in the case of "perceptions" that do not answer to reason. We all agree that perceptions are prone to error, and generally in need of clarification and explanation even when accurate.
soulcado said:

Correct, which is why I find the atheistic objection to theism in and of itself to be ridiculous.
To the extent that it is even at issue, theism "in and of itself" is not divorced from the actual beliefs of theists - a judgment call on theism soundly based on the beliefs and arguments of the existing theists is not ridiculous.

Back