Atheist Realism?

Does not compute with your earlier statement that objective reality cannot be accurately perceived.
Or are you applying different meanings of the word 'reality' simultaneously ?
May I suggest using objective reality and subjective reality ?

It is not that I define god as being reality in the simplest sense.
For people god is something else, I do not know their belief. I wanted only to pointed out that(I feel like I am again repeating what I already said):
for some theists god is the ineffable encompassing reality that some atheist believe exist behind our senses.

Both for many atheist and theist , this god/reality is ineffable.

Please, try to see my point, I think that I share a view with what most people said here. I want just to point out that the divide atheist/theist is not always required.

I was starting with a statement saying that I was challenging your point because I believed you would come up with reality that I will find inconsistent,for example based on particles or string, but it finnaly turns out that you share this kantian view (so common in scientific mind)
And this view is the view of many theists as well including me.

I wanted to set this up to in order to talk about one interesting points but I think it has to wait because you do not even recognize what I am trying to say.

Remark: When I am talking about what you call objective reality I use the word "reality" without adjective (Kant's noumena), if I want to talk about subjective reality, I will use the two words: "phenomenal reality" which correspond to the world we perceive.

Read your last few posts, you are now devolving into nonsense.

Wtf ? You are devolving into nonsense if you are saying that senses receiving stimuli is the same thing as accurately perceiving objective reality.
:crazy:

and what is the kantian view?
You can check it out on the net, basically (I have to simplify ):

1) There is a reality (he call it noumena or transcendental reality)
2) We cannot know this reality
3) We have prewired concept like time, space, causality (it is more complex, please check out on the net)
4) these concept build our world of perceptions (our phenomenal reality) as a consistent world)

I am only referring to the first two points 1) and 2) in this thread.
Most of his critics have fight against the 3) point

It is not that I define god as being reality in the simplest sense.
For people god is something else, I do not know their belief. I wanted only to pointed out that(I feel like I am again repeating what I already said):
for some theists god is the ineffable encompassing reality that some atheist believe exist behind our senses.

Both for many atheist and theist , this god/reality is ineffable.

Please, try to see my point, I think that I share a view with what most people said here. I want just to point out that the divide atheist/theist is not always required.

I was starting with a statement saying that I was challenging your point because I believed you would come up with reality that I will find inconsistent,for example based on particles or string, but it finnaly turns out that you share this kantian view (so common in scientific mind)
And this view is the view of many theists as well including me.

I wanted to set this up to in order to talk about one interesting points but I think it has to wait because you do not even recognize what I am trying to say.

Remark: When I am talking about what you call objective reality I use the word "reality" without adjective (Kant's noumena), if I want to talk about subjective reality, I will use the two words: "phenomenal reality" which correspond to the world we perceive.

Ok, fair enough. I see you point now :)
But I cannot understand why you want to call objective reality God.
I usually use 'reality' where I mean 'objective reality', but it seems confusing to people in these kind of discussions.
I am also not sure whether I agree with Kant completely, I'll have to check.

SAM, my original post:
Reality and all the objects in it exists completely independent of the mind.
I call this objective reality.
No observer can perceive objective reality directly. Perception is necessarily colored by interpretation, expectation, etc.
We make up our own version of reality in our mind which is based on (part) of objective reality, let's refer to it as subjective reality.

Some people here have argued that it is impossible to know whether objective reality exists because of it's own premises. I disagree.
We know the senses aren't perfect. For instance, the eye can only sense a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.
We also know that some animals can perceive more of the spectrum than we can.
The same goes for all the other senses: smell, hearing, touch and taste.
So we know, as an objective fact, that the senses can only sense a specific portion of objective reality.

When our brain is fed this data it interprets it based on:
- memory of previous experiences;
- character, which is the product of in part genetic but mostly environmental circumstances in our childhood;
- knowledge/believes;
- immediate environmental demands.
Then value is assigned to anything that is perceived according to above circumstances.
And so we end up with our own version of reality; subjective reality.
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=78920

You seem to have edited you post below. I think you will see that we agree.
I cannot understand how you interpreted senses receiving stimuli as acurately perceiving objective reality.
You either misread, made a thinking error or are doing it on purpose.
You cannot, remember?:bugeye:

We believe objective reality exists because as we come up with tools that test the limits of our perception, we realise that there are many things which exist beyond our ability to perceive them. Hence we realise we are limited in our perceptions.

You can check it out on the net, basically (I have to simplify ):

1) There is a reality (he call it noumena or transcendental reality)
2) We cannot know this reality
3) We have prewired concept like time, space, causality (it is more complex, please check out on the net)
4) these concept build our world of perceptions (our phenomenal reality) as a consistent world)

I am only referring to the first two points 1) and 2) in this thread.
Most of his critics have fight against the 3) point

ok,and if i agree with that..............................?

Be independent, you did not understand what I was asking you:
educate yourself about Kant and then come back to read the thread again!

You wanted me to learn about Kants philosophy to understand what a 'kantian view' is (as you seem to think I agree with it). You also wanted me to read the thread again, thinking that the meaning of the words you used in the opening question would change once this new information was gained. Is this different than what you were asking for?

I had already pre-read multiple Kant web resources before your original request and I have no idea what a 'kantian view' is so I cannot answer your question by asserting whether I agree or disagree with it. If you don't wish to define a 'kantian view' explicitly but rather hide behind the guise of 'independence' obligation then I won't be able to answer your question.

That is your view but how you prove that ?
Kant and Hume would say that we cannot

Because it corresponds to reality it is true; therefore, it's not a 'view' but instead an 'observation'. Proving it (I am assuming you mean providing 'evidence' for it) is simply a matter of examining the Earth and seeing where homo sapiens begin and comparing it to the age of the Earth. This planet has been around longer than humans by a long shot and our universe has been around longer than the planet. Kant and Hume would therefore be incorrect in this case.

Ok so you are saying that information is reality but we interpret as being electron and apple because of our human mind:

Paritally correct. I am saying that reality is a presenece of information that is consistent, persistent, and non-contradictory. If asked, I would also say that huamans are difference detection machines that collect energy to persist. We label differences of reality and remember / communicate the labels for future identification.

We cannot know what this reality/information/god is but we assume(BELIEVE) that it exist.

Considering how much we have learned about reality, there is no reason to think humans won't be able to eventually understand it in it's entirety (of course I cannot claim that we will either as I don't know). That reality exists is a rather self-evident observation (a fact).

I also wouldn't give reality a label of 'God' as that presumes it is a life form that is sapent, omnipotent, and omniscient... none of which are supported by any evidence. Of course such a labeling is consistent with the pyschological phenomena of anthropomorphization which is a survival mechanism.

this is basically Kant's view and all what I said in this thread is about that. (I am not refereeing to all Kantian view, but the particular one about reality behind our experience)

If that's what you meant by a 'kantian view' then my assertions don't match up with it. Also, if you are only reffering to one aspect of Kant's philosophy then the phrase 'kantian view' is deceptive as it implies a view based on his complete philosophy.

Because, it is misleading. I don't go around calling a birds strawberries either :p

That's right it is misleading because of its many usage.
Similarly the word "reality" (even more when use as an adjective) is also a misleading word: some people expect to see some particles or some strings inside this reality, some expect to see some chair, table , computer, dogs, humans, chocolate... in it.

By taking reality as ineffable, I feel that the word "god" represent well this aspect of reality.
Matter of choice...

May I offer something for everyone's consideration.

The Kantian view which keeps getting referred to is that a thing , in and of itself, is unknowable. So I may see a stone, handle it and so on but my understanding is subjective because my senses filter the data which is then interpreted by my brain. In other words, I cannot know what it is to be a stone; I can only have a subjective impression of one.

So, whatever reality is, it is not knowable directly.

Difficulties arise when a claim is made that there are "things, essences" or whatever that I cannot know because of the limits of my senses. This is often said of God, souls and such like. There is not a shred of evidence to support such claims. Moreover, if valid, such claims would open the floodgates to all sorts of nonsensical beliefs. Why stop at God ? There must be countless other things I cannot know such as leprachauns, unicorns and so on.

It follows that it is impossible to make a case for the existence of something that I cannot perceive; If I cannot do so, neither can anyone else other than the deluded.

Last edited:
Similarly the word "reality" (even more when use as an adjective) is also a misleading word: some people expect to see some particles or some strings inside this reality, some expect to see some chair, table , computer, dogs, humans, chocolate... in it.

By taking reality as ineffable, I feel that the word "god" represent well this aspect of reality.
Matter of choice...

Ineffability is by definition unknowable; why talk about it ?

ok,and if i agree with that..............................?

read the thread...
It means that you are theist ;)
please read before jumping :p

because you believe in one of the possible god present in the religions of the world

let me explain: imagine someone (A) who believe in the existence of something that he call "truc" that is descirbed by being yellow with three heads then he met another guy (B) who is a believer of a famous religion that believe in a god named "baloon" that share exactly the same properties.

(A) consider himself as an atheist because for (A) "truc" is not a god beause it does not match a god description according to him (because he do not know that a famous religion share the same description of god that the something he call "truc")

if (A) then hear the description of "balloon" from (B), he will then realize that it is the same than what he call "truc". he can know say that he believe in "baloon"

But "baloon is a famous god (I mean a god from a famous religion). So we can say that he is a theist but that he did not know before.

In fact, it is the way I became aware that I was a theist ;)

I can predict that you will be reluctant to accept that but it is not something to be frightened about, as many said it is a matter of word.
But it become a matter of word only after we know that god and reality are the same (at least in the way we described them here)
It is not like swapping word "banana" and "apple" but like swapping "dog" and "chien"

read the thread...
It means that you are theist ;)
please read before jumping :p

because you believe in one of the possible god present in the religions of the world

let me explain: imagine someone (A) who believe in the existence of something that he call "truc" that is descirbed by being yellow with three heads then he met another guy (B) who is a believer of a famous religion that believe in a god named "baloon" that share exactly the same properties.

(A) consider himself as an atheist because for (A) "truc" is not a god beause it does not match a god description according to him (because he do not know that a famous religion share the same description of god that the something he call "truc")

if (A) then hear the description of "balloon" from (B), he will then realize that it is the same than what he call "truc". he can know say that he believe in "baloon"

But "baloon is a famous god (I mean a god from a famous religion). So we can say that he is a theist but that he did not know before.

In fact, it is the way I became aware that I was a theist ;)

I can predict that you will be reluctant to accept that but it is not something to be frightened about, as many said it is a matter of word.
But it become a matter of word only after we know that god and reality are the same (at least in the way we described them here)
It is not like swapping word "banana" and "apple" but like swapping "dog" and "chien"

so because you think god and reality are the same i must?

i think this might be where you are getting confused.
as a result of everything i have said i admit that in my opinion only a perfect, "filterless" being (ie. god) can perceive objective reality.
this does not mean that i believe in god.infact....i dont.
i dont think that anything is capable of perceiving objective reality.

where do you get the idea that god and reality are the same thing?

May I offer something for everyone's consideration.

The Kantian view which keeps getting referred to is that a thing , in and of itself, is unknowable. So I may see a stone, handle it and so on but my understanding is subjective because my senses filter the data which is then interpreted by my brain. In other words, I cannot know what it is to be a stone; I can only have a subjective impression of one.

So, whatever reality is, it is not knowable directly.
Right and it apply to reality as a whole (which is what I am talking about, not specific thing..)

Difficulties arise when a claim is made that there are "things, essences" or whatever that I cannot know because of the limits of my senses. This is often said of God, souls and such like. There is not a shred of evidence to support such claims. Moreover, if valid, such claims would open the floodgates to all sorts of nonsensical beliefs. Why stop at God ? There must be countless other things I cannot know such as leprachauns, unicorns and so on.

It follows that it is impossible to make a case for the existence of something that I cannot perceive; If I cannot do so, neither can anyone else other than the deluded.

My point was not about the limit of the sense but because of the senses, namely the first case, that because of the senses I have a subjective view and I cannot know reality in itself. But in fact it is more than that and I follow Hume for that (from which Kant get inspired): We have only impression in our mind and from that we cannot infer anything about reality as a whole or in part.

Ineffability is by definition unknowable; why talk about it ?
because as you will see it is not so simple (the unknowability is not so sure)
Please note that ineffable means : impossibility to express (I used the word because of its weaker meaning that will become evident later)

Ok, I think most of you now understand what I was trying to say about theist/atheist.

I will use the word realist from now on to refer to people who call themselves atheist or theist who believe in the existence of something behind their senses that is not what they perceive with their mind. This something I will call it reality because I feel that if I use god, many here will not want to follow me (and I think now you understand that we can use both word knowing to what it refers)

Let's start by recalling something:

Hume was arguing that we cannot know the reality. He is considered as the most skeptic philosopher.

But is it really impossible to know about reality?
Hume could have been more skeptic: we cannot know that we cannot know.

Hume take the path that we cannot know, let's take the other path: we can know.

How can we know?
sense are known to be not reliable because of subjectivity and error.

So what else?

Enlightenment? (I imagine some will start laughing but be careful, enlightenment also is a word with many baggage) let's define it just as that: the way to know reality

Then going back to the debate between theist and atheist: we can redefine them even if even atheist should be considered theist because it is about ontology not about epistemology but let forget that to make everybody happy in this thread (I know it won't be possible but I try)

theist (the special kind we believe in the existence of something behind the sense) : believer in the existence of reality an believer in the possibility to know this reality (while keeping the inefability, I can come back later on this, it is not so important for my point)

atheist (the special kind we believe in the existence of something behind the sense) : believer in the existence of reality an believer in the impossibility to know this reality

(I will not be able to answer this thread for some time, at least not atthe rate I was doing these last days, I will be busy for some weeks,)
I will probably recreate a thread on this specific topic if I see that this post will be misunderstood (which I am afraid will be)

Matter of choice...

Very well, but the word 'God' implies an intelligent being.. at least to the vast majority of people.
I think this is much more misleading than using the word 'reality'.

By the way, I don't really agree with your usage of the word 'ineffable' either.
'Imperceptible' seems a better choice, or even better: 'not fully or accurately perceptible' or 'largely imperceptible'.

Right and it apply to reality as a whole (which is what I am talking about, not specific thing..)

What do you mean by reality as a whole ? I know of no such thing. I can only know some part of reality subjectively. Anything beyond that is beyond my experience and, therefore, unknowable by me in any sense.

My point was not about the limit of the sense but because of the senses, namely the first case, that because of the senses I have a subjective view and I cannot know reality in itself. But in fact it is more than that and I follow Hume for that (from which Kant get inspired): We have only impression in our mind and from that we cannot infer anything about reality as a whole or in part.

Are you saying my mental impressions, in Hume's sense, are not inferences ?

because as you will see it is not so simple (the unknowability is not so sure)
Please note that ineffable means : impossibility to express (I used the word because of its weaker meaning that will become evident later)

If something is impossible to express, how do you expect to discuss it. Remember what Wittgenstein said ? " What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence "I regard that as sound advice.

Ok, I think most of you now understand what I was trying to say about theist/atheist.

I will use the word realist from now on to refer to people who call themselves atheist or theist who believe in the existence of something behind their senses that is not what they perceive with their mind. This something I will call it reality because I feel that if I use god, many here will not want to follow me (and I think now you understand that we can use both word knowing to what it refers)

If you use god, as has already been pointed out, this term is not interchangeable with reality. Most thists would argue that god created what we call reality and that he therefore stands outside it. You are in danger of conflating theism with pantheism, Best define your terms more clearly because, at the moment, you have fallen between two stools.
Let's start by recalling something:

Hume was arguing that we cannot know the reality. He is considered as the most skeptic philosopher.

But is it really impossible to know about reality?
Hume could have been more skeptic: we cannot know that we cannot know.

Hume is best described as a "mitigated" sceptic.

Hume take the path that we cannot know, let's take the other path: we can know.

First let's be clear about Hume's position if you wish to argue against it. Talking of taking another path is not good enough. You must show Hume to be in error. Do that and we can proceed !

How can we know?
sense are known to be not reliable because of subjectivity and error.

So what else?

Enlightenment? (I imagine some will start laughing but be careful, enlightenment also is a word with many baggage) let's define it just as that: the way to know reality

Then going back to the debate between theist and atheist: we can redefine them even if even atheist should be considered theist because it is about ontology not about epistemology but let forget that to make everybody happy in this thread (I know it won't be possible but I try)

theist (the special kind we believe in the existence of something behind the sense) : believer in the existence of reality an believer in the possibility to know this reality (while keeping the inefability, I can come back later on this, it is not so important for my point)

atheist (the special kind we believe in the existence of something behind the sense) : believer in the existence of reality an believer in the impossibility to know this reality

(I will not be able to answer this thread for some time, at least not atthe rate I was doing these last days, I will be busy for some weeks,)
I will probably recreate a thread on this specific topic if I see that this post will be misunderstood (which I am afraid will be)

Can I suggest that you answer the above questions before we proceed; the alternative is more confusion.

Last edited:
Back