Atheist Book Review

Static76

As for the "little" rant you directed at me...I hope it was a joke, if not you sound really paranoid
On the one hand, I had to finish in character, right? I mean, take all that inner rage at myself for not keeping track of which and when, and dump it squarely on the most immediate object of frustration, ergo you. It's a perfect ending to a shabby performance on my part.

To the other, while I strive to avoid paranoia, I do occasionally notice when someone is that close on my ass. I remember when KalvinB and Tony1 used to wait online for me to post, shooting off two-minute responses the second they were up. I always wondered about that.

But I had to finish in character. Otherwise, it wouldn't be in character.

But if only I could have held out for two or three more posts.

See what sobriety gets ya? ;)

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Tyler, you just were anxious enough to be my sacrificial lamb

I'd be more than willing to explore this topic. The thing is, I will gladly accept religious texts as a metaphorical guide on how to live life. I personally believe needing a book to live a good life is pretty sad, though.
Actually, you did fine in this topic, Tyler, and we can explore it as much as you like. I was hoping the deception would hold out one or two posts because I thought I could get you to irrevocably commit to art what you would deny religion. But essentially, I'm satisfied.

Look, you're obviously brighter than the people who need the Bible to get them through each day. Yet you serve as an example that all atheists should pay attention to: you have now identified the key concept to being an atheist or infidel of my nature while dealing with the religious.

And now you can think of it simply: Christians are no different from those idiots we all know who took The Matrix as some sort of gospel, much less as a good film. (Eye candy and Keanu Reeves makes about as much sense as ... the Book of Job.)

But that's just the thing: examine holy books and their religions as if you were an art critic reading a script and watching the interpretation.

In fact, do think of it that way. Clive Barker's History of the Devil: Scenes From a Pretended Life is a play that comes with relatively sparse instructions for production. Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman is very heavy on the production instruction. With Barker's play, you have a lot more liberty to interpret.

Think of it like conservative and liberal religious interpretations. As you go from production to production of History of the Devil, you might say, "That doesn't seem right," but merely accept that it is a director's interpretation of the visual. But as you go from production to production of Death of a Salesman, there should be much less diversity in the presentation; copious notes are available, and the thin scripts American youths sometimes read in high school are often abridged because nobody needs to read the notes about how wide the wood for the window-frame should be. So as you sit, watching, and say, "That doesn't seem right," you may be correct.

Just remember that this is what you're dealing with when you view, for instance, Christianity. One script, many producers, not nearly enough detail to regulate performance presentation.

And that's why I say to treat religion, politics, and most of life as some sort of performance art. Almost everybody in the world puts on some sort of histrionic façade. As a critic, it is your job to see through the performances, make what observations you can, and offer up advice to improve or stabilize future productions and presentations.

I am, quite frankly, disturbed at the nature of the atheist rejection of God. I find that when God is actively rejected (as opposed to not being a factor in an atheist's life) that rejection is a unique and conditional application of a standard, which seems a little hypocritical. As anyone might know, I'm a fan of the books I had GodSlayer tear apart. That more than anything should have been a clue, but I think Static has a point; I can't fake spelling errors and other ignorance well enough to cover my ass. But when I rejected God for reasons of objectivity, I found that I could not easily return to a subjective lifestyle. My writing collapsed, my interest in literature collapsed, and I spent years mucking around in history and social sciences. But the hitch I threw in my personal integrity by randomly invoking the necessity of objectivity was massive, and one of the reasons I gave up atheism is that it was easier to maintain integrity in the arenas most critical to me. And that's why I pick on this aspect of atheism. I basically applied the same curmudgeon objectivity of an atheistic rejection of God to those books. And, in that sense, I am right. And you were very helpful in pointing out the absurdity of that objective standard.

Now then, it seems appropriate to ask who is going to randomly invoke objectivity as an argument against God. Given that the atheist argument rejects something that is so vital to human beings, it seems only natural to expect a paradigm of integrity to replace corrupt religious blackmails. As it is, though, invoking objectivity as a matter of will is arbitrary and somewhat hypocritical: it turns out that objectivity is only invoked to the perceived advantage of the atheist.

After about six months of that, incidentally, and having to lie to someone to save their life, I decided there must be a less stressful, less obsessive, more honest way of going about it.

I'd actually like to see rank-and-file agnosticism among people, but I've found that here at Sciforums as well as out in the world, people aren't ... uh ... how to put this ... grown-up enough to deal maturely with the idea that after all is said and done we still don't know anything.

Come on, man ... I respect people's atheism, but not when it's an arbitrary standard designed to feed the ego and maintain a state of discord. The learning curve among Sciforums' atheists is almost a flatline. I mean, look at it, man ... remember when I was up slinging with Adam and GB, and everything was a muddy mess around here? Take a look around: the quality of debate in the religion forum has gotten even lower, and it seems like many atheists are happy to be down there.

What can I possibly do to bludgeon some of that atheistic intelligence out of people? I'm running out of tricks, and it's becoming more and more apparent to me that atheism in general has nothing to do with anything, and is not any more or less wise than religion. But I don't see a superior intellect, I don't see a superior ethic, and I don't see a superior foundation. I see, directly, more of the same.

And that's what compelled me to a provocateur identity.

And, for a few short minutes, it worked.

A simple testament: For all the information Tiassa can offer to enlighten apparently both sides of an argument about the history of a religious concept, why is it that nobody seems to pay attention? Yet you get a two-bit provocateur and the fur can really fly?

So a note to all Sciforums: Think about it people. What's really important to you? Your words are a testament. Your actions are a testament.

And while we should not believe in God for lack of objective proof, we should accept projections of intelligence and conscience from people who have shown an equal objective lack.

Think about it: Integrity. From top to bottom. It's not that hard. It is, in fact, easier when you stop trying to juggle multiple schema.

Or ... is that the meaning of life? Whatever makes the ego happy at whatever cost?

thanx,

Re: Tyler, you just were anxious enough to be my sacrificial lamb

Originally posted by tiassa

And while we should not believe in God for lack of objective proof,

thanx,
Tiassa :cool: [/B]

Tiassa, what do u care about objective proof you hipocrite, you are atheist you dont care about proof, your living a path of blind faith to nowhere, making a claim "There is no God" when the fact is no evidence supports such claim.

God can be proven and dont brainwash yourself in saying "There is no proof of God" then putting that words in my mouth.

Re: Re: Tyler, you just were anxious enough to be my sacrificial lamb

Originally posted by muscleman
Tiassa, what do u care about objective proof you hipocrite, you are atheist you dont care about proof, your living a path of blind faith to nowhere, making a claim "There is no God" when the fact is no evidence supports such claim.

God can be proven and dont brainwash yourself in saying "There is no proof of God" then putting that words in my mouth.

Muscleman, you're a fuckwit. But then, I guess everybody already knew that :p

Muscleman, Tiassa is, unfortunately, not an Atheist. It'd be nice if he were.

But Tiassa isn't a Christian. Or a Muslim. Or a Jew. Tiassa is... nondenominational *gasp*.

Tiassa is... nondenominational *gasp*.
(Insert "Evil Music Fill" here.)

And in a bit of a demonstrative mood, obviously.

If I might be less than graceful for a moment longer, I wanted to take this moment to point out that provocateur parodies, while they sometimes can be effective, generally lend toward the legitimization of, er ... well, fuckwits. I have to admit that Muscleman's little tantrum was about the least expected bad reaction, but hey ... I can't be right 100% of the time.
Muscleman, Tiassa is, unfortunately, not an Atheist. It'd be nice if he were.
But then there's this, which does in fact give me a warm feeling, but also if I might, inspires this little observation according to my twisted associative sense:

• One of the reasons I'm hard on Christians is that publicly they tend to make Christianity sound somewhat idiotic. And symptomatically, it shows. I'm generally easier on religions with which I don't have large amounts of direct contact, and obviously sympathetic to those which have overcome certain obstacles important to me. That I find atheism untenable is an unfortunate result of logic and internal priorities. But I do, in the long run, agree with the statistics about income, education, and so forth which indicate that atheists tend to be more educated, and, by certain inferences, more intelligent. But when I stop and look at the critical hinge of atheism--its anti-identification to the religious assertion--I find it disturbing that atheists tend to muddle in the gutter when they speak their atheistic mind. Now, allow me to clarify: I expect a certain amount of gutter from religious bodies; it's inherent in their makeup and obligations. But when I was an atheist, one of the reasons I made that choice was that atheism freed me from a priori institutions that obstructed the best course in enough circumstances that I could no longer hold that the Christianity I learned from Lutherans, Catholics, a community church or two, Quakers, Baptists, Episcopals, and others, actually balanced out toward the positive. As I explored the major religions academically, I saw a lot of the same patterns occurring in the histories. These patterns are the bread and butter of the atheistic argument. But something is wrong: it seems to me that the more I encounter the atheist identity, the less I think of it in practical terms. The reason for this is simple: I know y'all are supposed to be smarter than you show. And yes, I'm hard on that point, because every time an idea holds the kind of potential that the atheist expression does, the people living it absolutely hammer that potential with the simple decision that it is well enough to keep up with the Joneses and play the game at all.

Why, for instance, do we so rarely hear from American Muslims, Jews, or others regarding the teaching of Creationism in schools? It really does seem that evangelical Christians compose the most part of the Creationist body. And yet the atheists who oppose Creationism in schools, by directly engaging the Christian force behind the Creationist movement, engage the issue at that particular point of conflict. What would happen if, along with the Muslims who are pissed at Christianity and the other religions that would rather not care, everybody who was not Christian woke up tomorrow and started ignoring Christianity? And what if Christianity, as a concept, was acknowledged by convention to be of no use until it caught up to the rest of the world? And why argue with the Muslims, then? The world can ignore Muslim-specific issues until those issues catch up with the times. And so forth. As long as the battle rages, new soldiers will race to the front. And what atheists know as well as many, many theists who don't have time for the petty politics of religion, is that education is the only way to progress. If we cause the soldiers to rush to the line before they know how to fight or what they're fighting for, how can we expect the oppositional mass to ever catch up with the times?

Lambs to the slaughter. Literally. And they bury their heads in faith and slogans. And tomorrow we get up and go through it again.

You and I might see a never-ending cycle of rhetorical lunacy, but what are we doing about it?

Show the religious what is important. From Christians take the lesson that we must show greater understanding and compassion than they understand is possible. Form Muslims let us take mercy and show them what it really means. Everyone aspires to good: take the good and make it real. Let the effect of the idea be its testament.

Think of it this way: If Christianity really was that effective, why would they have to keep reminding us of how superior it is? You'd think one or two of those evangelicals might have an original idea from time to time. I mean, think about it: What would Jesus do? An admirable question to tackle when a Christian faces an ethical trial. But did anyone notice that the movement was so tacky in its presentation that educated Christians seem to want to distance themselves from it? I mean, come on ... a fundamental question of faith and people are ashamed of it because it's been simplified to pabulum.

It's times like this that I recommend the Franny half of Salinger's Franny and Zooey. The WWJD movement could stand to learn that simple lesson.

Um ... yeah. I'll get off the soapbox now.

thanx much,

Tiassa/aka The GodSlayer

Quote: Um ... yeah. I'll get off the soapbox now.

Thanks!!,

Very clever creating another identity and having the two alter egos disscuss amongs themselves, any psychoanalist may determine that you are going a bit nuts in your own non-sequirtus!!.

Godless

Don't fool yourself into thinking I'm original on that.

Stuff yourself, mate.

thanx,

Back