Atheism Vs Theism & Pascal's Wager

You don't get loads of books and works calming pink flying unicorns exist.
This is an appeal to authority (and not a very good one at that), which is a argumentative fallacy.
Until the whole universe and "beyond" is explored you can dismiss it.
Wrong. In general, in science, you do not give a claim any weight until you have seen at least one piece of evidence for it. I could say that the universe is actually shaped like a giant three dimensional triangle. And there's no way you could disprove that for absolute certain until you know all the physical relations of the universe. So, bummer, I guess we have to give credence to my theory. Well, no, not in science, that's not how it works.
At one time, my dad said in school he was taught that the sun didn't rotate, but he always used to read in the Qu'ran the sun rotates, and then some years later scientists worked out the sun dose actually rotate.
Unless you are very, very old I doubt this is true. For quite some time we've known that the sun has movement.
You can't just dismiss something, like the existence of god, because it seems illogical.
I don't. I dismiss it because I've seen no evidence to support the theory. God doesn't seem illogical - by definition he is outside of logic. So that would be a very poor argument. No, I don't ascertain belief to anything I don't know of good proof for.
Yet we act like we know everything.
No. I don't know if there's a god or not. I won't believe until I see proof. In fact, theists are the ones acting like they 'know everything'. They are the ones putting belief in something without evidence - faith. You've got this completely backwards.
And after the big bang the planets aligned up into a nice equilibrium, I mean I'm not no astrophysicist, but I am sure as hell if you blow shit it, doesn't randomly join up and from into things.
Yes, the questions of astrophysics are absolutely massively difficult and imposing. It's very intimidating. But the fact that we can't answer every question about how life came about is not proof that there had to be a creator. At one point we had no idea what the fuck lightning was, that didn't mean that there was some lightning-god shooting down beams of electricity without a physical explination. Though, that is what people believed. More on this later.
If there is life on earth, then it didn't just randomly from. There must have been something that created it.
See - you're the one presuming to know everything. Science searches. You've just said "nope, this is impossible, let's not even consider looking for the evidence, let's not even see if our theoretical models are correct, let's not research."

Look, people largely believe in a god because it's hard to answer the big questions. When many now-answerable questions were not answerable, people believed god was directly responsible for the thing; lightning, rain, floods, tides and seasons, etc. Now that we know how the sun and atmosphere create and effect these things, people no longer say "well lightning happens because god throws a lightning bolt". Even a theist will say there is a physical explination.

Now the theists recourse is in other unanswerable questions of the time - such as how did the universe begin, how did life start from non-life... Just because we haven't found the answer yet - or because you don't understand the answers in place - doesn't mean that there was some mystical and all-creating power that exists. That is a lazy answer, and we must search and search until we find a real answer. If there's a god, maybe we'll prove that and maybe not. But we must keep searching, otherwise we are doomed to never find the real answer.

But frankly, god doesn't solve the difficulties of creation. You're either going to say something weird and bizarre like a big bang happened or something weird and bizarre like a god exists. The difference is that we can search for evidence of the former.

And like I said - Pascal is not held by anyone as valid anymore. Only young idealistic theists, logicians and philosophers realize it's not a valid argument for a number of reasons - some of which I listed.

There's nothing new in your arguments; everythings already been argued to death. Multiple times.

I believe what ever it says in the Quran.

The issue is not whether "we" want you to be an athiest, you've put forward a postulation and we're dissecting it :p

At any rate Muslim, I believe the general opinion is that blind faith as you have posted very ... faithfully ... in this quote is exactly the problem. You're taking the Quran as wholesale truth, with no proof or exploration. This submission is at the root of many academic blockades, social problems and territorial conflicts on the planet.

There's nothing new in your arguments; everythings already been argued to death. Multiple times.

What's new in this instance is that Muslim appears to be having the discussion because of genuine, personal inquiry. That is to be commended, regardless of the outcome of his inquiry. For him, the arguments are fresh, perhaps bold, and he may have some cultural reluctance to entertain them.

Muslim:

But thats not the same. You don't get loads of books and works calming pink flying unicorns exist. Where are they supposed to be? on earth presumably. But we haven't seen them. God on the other hand cold be anywhere in the universe or beyond. Until the whole universe and "beyond" is explored you can dismiss it.

Well if there are invisible pink unicorns, they would be by default invisible. In fact, according to The Uniq'uran, the Invisible Pink Unicorn is all where.

You will admit, though, that even if we say that the Invisible Pink Unicorn doesn't have followers and books, that certainly the discrepancies in divine accounts, owing to the myriad religions, are certainly worthy of making Pascal's wager invalid. You, as a Moslem, would object to belief in Christianity or Judaism ,yes? Not to mention Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, American Indian beliefs, Astaru, yes? But all these beliefs have a conception of God, and in fact, most are unbelievers and worthy of a bad end, right? Despite the fact that they believe in a God - just not yours.

Also, if I say the Invisible Pink Unicorn could be anywhere, would you dismiss it? Like, if I said the same thing as you aresaying about God?

You can't just dismiss something, like the existence of god, because it seems illogical.

If it is illogical, don't you deny things? Of course, God is not, in and of itself, illogical.

To me it seems illogical the goddamn universe exist while outside of earth there is no life its baron. So where the hell did life from from? how is earth in the right place for humans to exist.

At present, evolution says a lot in regards to this. Have you ever taken a course on it? Or read a book?

And after the big bang the planets aligned up into a nice equilibrium, I mean I'm not no astrophysicist, but I am sure as hell if you blow shit it, doesn't randomly join up and from into things. Cos if that did happen Iraq would be a fucking paradise by now or something.

Go to the store and buy a few magnets and some paper clips, okay? Set the magnets on the floor, then randomly dump the paper clips. Notice how many more are concentrated on the magnets, then are free? Consider this analogous to the big bang. The forces clump matter together.

Thats just crazy, its like saying lets get a rock form space, blow it up in 0 gravity hand around for a few billion years and eventually there be some kind of life on them.

Generally, life takes a much larger space.

If there is life on earth, then it didn't just randomly from. There must have been something that created it.

Again, check out a book on evolution and see what you think. There is lots of evidence for it.

OK I understand what you're saying guys. So everything is a lie? like what it says in the holy books? thats so shit. But how no I don't believe it. Maybe we just don't understand.

This sucks how do you explain what is says in the bible and Qu'ran and other holy books? like splitting the sea, and Jesus talking baby, virgin birth? is this all lies? I mean its strange a virgin woman can't give birth. I know this sounds dumb, but this might be true I read this in the holy books. Why would it be lies? why would my mom and dad lie to me about it? Billions of humans believe in the same things like splitting the sea Noah's ark and... Omg what the hell. I don't like it I don't like this.

Am going to go and talk to my dad! its no fair!

There's no reason to believe they're lies, but there are still plenty of reasons to believe that most of them don't describe events that actually happened. Many of the implausible-sounding stories in holy texts are not necessarily pure fabrications but more likely allegorical, or in many cases copied from oral tradition (and you know how stories can change when they're passed by word of mouth).

OK I understand what you're saying guys. So everything is a lie? like what it says in the holy books? thats so shit. But how no I don't believe it. Maybe we just don't understand.

This sucks how do you explain what is says in the bible and Qu'ran and other holy books? like splitting the sea, and Jesus talking baby, virgin birth? is this all lies? I mean its strange a virgin woman can't give birth. I know this sounds dumb, but this might be true I read this in the holy books. Why would it be lies? why would my mom and dad lie to me about it? Billions of humans believe in the same things like splitting the sea Noah's ark and... Omg what the hell. I don't like it I don't like this.

Am going to go and talk to my dad! its no fair!

Calm down there Muslim :). To answer the question, most of the objective claims that 'holy' books make are incorrect. What's important to understand is that humans have psychological needs to relate to each other, their environment, and themselves. They need to have an explanation. They need to have the approval of authority. Religion meets these needs quite well as religion is literally a method of human relationship.

From a human psychological needs standpoint, it doesn't matter if the claims of religion are true or false. What matters is that the needs are met. From a human societal standpoint it absolutely matters if the claims of religion are true or false. All over the world Muslim extremists are blowing themselves up thinking that some life form called 'Allah' exists and wants them to do so.

If you were to leave behind the belief in the fantasies that religions assert, what do you think would happen?

Back