Atheism, Evolution and Environmental conservation

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Do atheists who believe in evolution also believe in environmental conservation?

Why?

I've sure it varies hugely from person to person. But there is a positive correlation between environmentalism and education and between atheism and education, so there is probably some positive correlation between atheism and environmentalism.

I've sure it varies hugely from person to person. But there is a positive correlation between environmentalism and education and between atheism and education, so there is probably some positive correlation between atheism and environmentalism.

Yeah, but as atheists who believe in evolution, isn't environmental conservation redundant?

Yeah, but as atheists who believe in evolution, isn't environmental conservation redundant?
Evolution is not a moral code or guide for behavior, it's simply a theory about how different species came about. It doesn't say anything about whether or not a person should protect the environment.

Evolution is not a moral code or guide for behavior, it's simply a theory about how different species came about. It doesn't say anything about whether or not a person should protect the environment.

Yeah, so why should you protect the environment? And what does "protection" mean?

SAM,

.... also believe in environmental conservation?
Not sure that "believe" is the correct phrase. One either supports or does not support the idea.

But what's the intent of your op?

I'm wondering how atheists define "conservation" in the light of evolution.

Yeah, so why should you protect the environment? And what does "protection" mean?
The main reasons why atheists might want to protect the environment would probably be because they realize that damage to the environment can negatively impact humans today and future human generations, and/or because they like the natural world/wild animals/etc and dont want to see it damaged by human activity.

By "protect" the environment one generally means not dumping poisons or disruptive materials into it, destroying ecosystems, killing off so many animals or plants that ecosystems are badly altered, etc. What else would it mean?

The main reasons why atheists might want to protect the environment would probably be because they realize that damage to the environment can negatively impact humans today and future human generations, and/or because they like the natural world/wild animals/etc and dont want to see it damaged by human activity.

By "protect" the environment one generally means not dumping poisons or disruptive materials into it, destroying ecosystems, killing off so many animals or plants that ecosystems are badly altered, etc. What else would it mean?

And so what? Its all natural isn't it? We're all just doing what comes naturally to us. Should we prevent mutations?

I'm wondering how atheists define "conservation" in the light of evolution.
You say that as if evolution implied that people shouldn't protect the environment. As was already pointed out, evolution does not have anything to do with how one should behave, any more than the theory of relativity tells you how to behave.

One can believe that different species arose because of gradual genetic variation from one generation to the next and still not like the idea of dumping poisons into the water/air/ground or wiping out species.
And so what? Its all natural isn't it? We're all just doing what comes naturally to us. Should we prevent mutations?
Most atheists are intelligent enough to realize that just because something is "natural" it doesn't mean that it's a good idea, has pleasant results, or is good for the long-term survival of the human race. Eye glasses, air conditioning, and automobiles are all "unnatural." So what?

Last edited:
Do atheists who believe in evolution also believe in environmental conservation?

Why?

M*W: As an atheist, I believe in evolution, because there is evidence from the fossil record that is good enough for me. (For christians: Don't bother replying to this. I don't want to discuss this topic with you).

I also believe in environmental conservation. Why would any atheist feel differently. We won't be here, but our descendants will, and they are very important to me. If we don't take care of our environment, nobody, no thing, will.

M*W: As an atheist, I believe in evolution, because there is evidence from the fossil record that is good enough for me. (For christians: Don't bother replying to this. I don't want to discuss this topic with you).

I also believe in environmental conservation. Why would any atheist feel differently. We won't be here, but our descendants will, and they are very important to me. If we don't take care of our environment, nobody, no thing, will.

Take care of the environment? For what?

Should we prevent mutations?
Well doesn't that depend on whether the mutation is the direct cause of evolution, or caused by mans effect on his environment. The latter being the only reason to prevent mutation, as they may not be conducive to the health of the planet, or the life there in.

Well doesn't that depend on whether the mutation is the direct cause of evolution, or caused by mans effect on his environment. The latter being the only reason to prevent mutation, as they may not be conducive to the health of the planet, or the life there in.

So any animal effect on the environment is not a part of evolution?

Why?
Yes.

Evolution is a fact. We may not fully understand the process but that's the fun part huh?

I support environmental conservation because I enjoy the environment and I want future generations of cyborg-humanoids to have the same pleasure as me :)

So you want to manipulate the environment but others should not? Why?

Take care of the environment? For what?
Because, as was already explained, most atheists are smart enough to realize that damaging the environement is bad for the long-term survival of the human race. Also, many atheists simply like the natural world for its own sake and don't want to see it destroyed. This has already all been explained to you. Why do you keep acting like there's no conceivable reason why an atheist would care about the environemnt when you have already had several lists for you?

Or are you going suggest that the only conceivable reason a person could want to protect the environment is because a magic being in the sky told them to?

Back