at what age should you teach your child about sex?

Haven't decided when. I'll play it by eye and ear. The biggest challenge will be to keep the prudes from sexualizing my daughter's existence.

and also i would like to ask why alot of parents lie to the child so much of the time. so many parents tell the child stories about birds dropping off the child and other silly things. what is the point?

when my daughter asks where babies come from when she is at that age i will tell her the truth. "your mother gave birth to you". i dont see the point in deluding the poor child.

the sooner she knows the facts the faster she can advance and learn the ways of the world. wich wuld make her more intelligent.

what age do you think its ok to tell the truth? i think the right time is anytime. if the child asks i will tell the truth.

peace.

you shouldn't...the child should learn about it him/herself.

dragon, if it works for you, then it works for you.

But there are lots of idiots out there thinking you can't get pregnant the first time, if the girl is on top, or if she goes pee right after sex.
My Dad wanted to take my Mom to the hospital when she got her period. He had NO IDEA!

duh, if a child starts asking about sex, and his parents won´t tell him the truth... off course the child is going to ask elsewere, I rather teach the kids than let strangers do so.

Hmm ...

Tiassa said:

Haven't decided when. I'll play it by eye and ear.

We passed a milestone this morning, in fact. My daughter brought me a stick-and-block drawing. "It's Grampa!" she announced enthusiastically.

"That's good," I told her. "But, uh, what's that?"

"It's a pee-pee!"

Er, um ... o-kay.

Not quite a birds-and-bees moment, but ....

Oh, well. I should have seen it coming. I haven't decided whether or not to be disturbed that it's her grandfather's penis depicted. Now I get to watch for trends.

When they ask keep it simple and age appropriate. How you answer their questions at 6 will determine whether or not they ask and listen at 13. Just remember the mcdonalds commercial where the kid ask pops "what is sex?" . The dad takes him out for lunch and the talk and the kid looks all astonished and goes "all that here" point ing to the sex blank on a permission slip. Your kid is going to be given all kinsman of information by the time that they are 12 and if you want to make sure that it is accurate bite the bullet and answer the questions early while you can still influence the decisions.

if a child can ask the question "where do babies come from" im sure it can understand "out of your mother".

That is what my dad told nmy brother, then one day he was rooting in ther toilet bowl and i asked him 'what are you doing' and he said i am seeing if mommy left any babies.

true story.

I mean after the puberty.
Yap. Definitely not before. If you wait 'til after puberty to talk to your kids, you're pretty safe. You won't have to say a damn thing, really. In fact, maybe you should wait until they're 30. This is going for sure.

Anyway, I wish I'd had one of you for parents. I really didn't learn a goddamn thing from mine. About sex or otherwise. I mean, if my father had been shot my mother would probably have found a replacement guy, who looks like my father, the following day and told me it's the same guy.

It did make the whole growing up thing kinda difficult. But I can attest to that you can get most info that you need on the net.

although, come to think of it, I think mom did bring me and my sister a book once...

Teen sex

Maybe what we should teach is love and respect first. Then about the feelings that follow. Then about ......

I agree, Roy. Unfortunately, love and respect can be difficult concepts to teach young children. Love seems easy enough; my daughter overflows with it. Respect, on the other hand, is considerably more complicated. Or so says me.

Yap. Definitely not before. If you wait 'til after puberty to talk to your kids, you're pretty safe. You won't have to say a damn thing, really. In fact, maybe you should wait until they're 30. This is going for sure.

Anyway, I wish I'd had one of you for parents. I really didn't learn a goddamn thing from mine. About sex or otherwise. I mean, if my father had been shot my mother would probably have found a replacement guy, who looks like my father, the following day and told me it's the same guy.

It did make the whole growing up thing kinda difficult. But I can attest to that you can get most info that you need on the net.

although, come to think of it, I think mom did bring me and my sister a book once...

The puberty stage is not 30, it's 13-16 years,
You can't teach the reproductive system to a 5 or 6 years baby. we have to wait for the developement of brain , reproductive and other organs of a baby. then they can understand the things.

El Guapo and the uneducated mujer

Draqon said:

you shouldn't...the child should learn about it him/herself.

Orleander said:

oh hell no

I'm going to side with Orleander on this one. It even came to a point one day when my dad was quizzing me to find out what I knew--as I recall, it was because of something I said--and he ended the conversation by saying we were going to have to have a talk.

We never did.

Now, I'm not going to blame my father for failing to do this or that. Hell, things could have turned out the same way, anyway. But I do recognize that I'm a freakin' pervert. My former partner, for instance, the mother of my child, finally told me some two years after our child was born, after we had been together for over eight years, that she never liked the sex. One of her complaints was that I took too long ... at foreplay.

Funny, that. When I was growing up, the joke about foreplay was best characterized by a crack in the movie Three Amigos:

Rosita: Carmen, tonight you are to be El Guapo's woman. I am going to give you some hints about lovemaking with El Guapo.
Carmen: I would rather die first!
Rosita: Tell me, Carmen, do you know what foreplay is?
Carmen: No...
Rosita: Good! Neither does El Guapo.

in the information age i doubt a child has any need to ask a parent.

Very True, The key to combating that is to ensure that they don't get the "wrong" ideas about sex. However the definition of wrong may change according to parent. but what would i know... I'm not one yet.

Maybe what we should teach is love and respect first. Then about the feelings that follow. Then about ......

Oh, come on. Like first there's love and respect and then comes sex. Sure it's the standard, most accepted case, but it's definitely not the most common case. Respect and love often fail to play any role, sometimes even in a longer term relationship.

Although. If you teach it like that, you'll be the textbook-guide and can help avoid any real pitfalls (STD-s, pregnancy). Real education comes from real life. Parent being the textbook is probably the most common way to go and it can raise a perfectly normal child. It's not like a parent should have detailed discussions about it with their kids. That would be just weird and not so useful.

And if you wait until your kid's past puberty to talk about sex, well... it's good to talk to them about it. They'll know many things you don't and can educate you.

Unless of course you're a successful concerned parent who actually manages to forcefully suppress the sex drive of a teenager and isolate them from other people and anything else related to sex. Oh yes. THAT will be extremely healthy for the kid.

Of course, this goes for if you're raising your kids in a first or second world city with tons of people. The culture may be different elsewhere. Although I doubt people are.

Last edited:
Back