Astro-theology 101

Read Jung, or better yet one of his popularizers, most notably Joseph Campbell. Religion is a collection of archetypes, instinctive beliefs preprogrammed into our synapses by our DNA. Belief in the supernatural is a strong instinct. Like all instincts, it is "knowledge" we have had since birth, and therefore it feels more true than knowledge we acquired later in life by reasoning and learning.

Some instincts are clearly the result of survival of the fittest, such as the instinct not to step off a cliff or the instinct to run from a large animal with both eyes in front of its face. Other instincts may have been survival traits in an era whose dangers we can't imagine. And others are surely random mutations accidentally passed down through a genetic bottleneck like Mitochondrial Eve.

(Jung was not a biologist, and he died before genetics became integrated into human science. My account is a restatement in modern language of his concept of archetypes.)
Is there any scientific backing for any of this? Belief in the supernatural is an instinct? Do we know this? How? I wasn't aware that Jung's ideas were respected or even taken seriously in the scientific community, but I am hardly well read in that area.

There is no doubt that Astro-Theology existed and was the source of many religious belief systems - this I do not deny.
What I do deny is the flimsy cases that people make to claim that Astro-Theology (in some cases practices that we don't have any evidence that ever even existed) was the root of Christianity, and even thet life and times of Jesus.
There is simply not a scrap of evidence to support most of the claims made- and I have read fairly extensively on the subject.
I think it would also be very hard to prove the causal direction. The assumption of Astro theology is that certain shapes were seen, labeled and then myths came out of them. But it very likely could have gone the other way. Deities, coming for example out of shamanic experiences which are current also and very well documented, are then 'found' in the heavens. The Astro-theologists act like they were there and know the order of the process.

As I mentioned above, it is very clear that many myths came out of altered state experiences, which are often repeatable by people from outside the cultures. For example snake sightings when taking ayhuasca. It is very clear from cave drawings where human animals drawings are repeatedly represented, that much mythology or religious ideas come from shamans - and I use the term in its broadest sense for those engaging in meditation, trance work, journeying, ritual possession, hallucinagenic plant experiences, etc. These 'internal' experiences clearly lead to ideas about what is really going on both inside and outside.

You may not agree Raven with what I said here. But I definitely agree with your qualms about the oversimplification of fanatic Astro-theologists.

First of all, ignorant is uninformed - if someone has been exposed is not ignorant.
Secondly, I have already told you that I have read quite a bit on Astro-Theology so, by your definition, you were calling me ignorant.

Regardless, it all comes down to the simple fact that if someone disagrees with you they must either be ignorant or stupid, because you couldn't possibly be wrong.

Furthermore, as I pointed out, I agree with teh basic idea that some religious belief started out as worship of the heavens. People watched tehm closely to understand the planting/harvesting time, to read the weather, to navigate - for may reasons.
Plus they were out of reach and mysterious.
The Gods were in the sky.

What I question is how far reacing it is claimed to be and the point of view that many who claim to study "Astro-Theology" that all religion is based in it, and then they go to great lengths and jump across great chasms to prove that point - when there simply is no real evidence for it. "It makes snse to me", and "I see some correlation" IS NOT EVIDENCE - yet many of these people use it as such.

There are many roots to the countless and widely varying belief systems and rituals and they are not all based on the sky.

What most of the evidence seems to point to is that humans worshipped/feared/admired what held sway over their lives and destinies... what was more powerful than them...

As soon as man gained the capacity to reason that he is mortal, he is vulnerable and he is at the mercy of other forces he looked to gain the favor of what he could not conquer.
There were rain gods, animal gods, sky gods, fire gods... Man, in his self-aware state of insignificance took it upon himself to gain as much self-determination as he could muster.
As he got better and better at it - planting and harvesting crops, raising animals, irrigation, etc - the gods began to diminish and become less important.
The more he understood, the more he could control his surrpondings, the less power the gods had over him, therefore the less he cared to worship them - he didn't need to anymore, because he didn't need them anymore.

Self-reliance kills gods.

So yes, there were sky gods and that is the root of quite a few differen traditions and religious beliefs, there are many which are not rooted in the same.
All I have read trying to link Christianity with "Astro-Theology" has failed miserably because there is no link that can be validated at all.
As I said in my first post, most of the "evidence" cited by those trying to do this is gross speculation, misled conjecture and poor examples of attempting language morphology analysis - and I have seen you cite MANY of these pathetic, pseudo-scholarly examples over the years.
M*W: Get over yourself. Why are you trying to derail my thread? What you may believe is your belief. I just wonder why this topic bothers you so much? You said it all when you said "The Gods were in the sky."

This is my first post. I was searching for info on astrotheology and saw this post and thought I'd add my two cents.

Basically my sense is that astrotheology is about is the application of 'symbolism' stuck onto the human-invented patterns of the stars (constellations), and the positions of the planets, Sun, Moon to be a framework allowing a visual understanding of important relationships of ideas within human thought about the human condition and about Reality (at least as can be perceived by humans). It does not mean that the mentally projected patterns attached onto the actual sky are "physical realities" in an absolute sense (as the constellations themselves are inventions of humans and their stars are most often not even near each other in actual 3-dimensional space) but are a symbolic system meant to understand something else.

However, if one sees various levels of patterns within Reality as basically a range of magnification levels within a "fractal" Reality (so various levels resemble each other in some fundamental manor which may not seem obvious but upon decoding, perhaps can show a relationship), then representations expressed on one level of thought (as ideas of certain deities, heroes, stories, myths) may correlate to seemingly unrelated levels one normally would feel were unrelated (like a concept of nature or reality - maybe even something like "sacred geometry" - google that). So as a whirlpool of water may look like a spiral galaxy or a tree may resemble the branching capillaries within the lungs (and oddly, performing sort of similar functions!), stories about Heracles may represent some aspect of Reality as expressed in human stories (so if we theoretically strip away all cultural aspects of the story, we may come to a basic almost 'mathematical equation' at the root of that story. Another culture may have this same root equation but the cultural details upon it make it appear like it is different).

As for Heracles 11th labour of defeating the dragon Ladon which was twined around the tree of the Golden Apples of Hesperides ('Hera's orchard in the west, where either a single tree or a grove of immortality-giving golden apples grew'), this could be like Saint George defeating the dragon and this could represent the concept of defeating the untamed primal forces of basic human nature in order to progress towards enlightenment from the ego-based dualism (and this in itself could be a representation of a stage within an almost 'yogic' understanding of human "spiritual feeling" [for lack of a better term] ultimately reaching activation of the 'third eye' or pineal gland of the brain. The dragon Ladon being like the "kundalini (sanskrit for 'coiled') serpent)

An interesting (and not astrotheological) thing to consider is the location of a very large statue of a pine cone at the Vatican. Pine cone motiffs also exist on papal staffs but also on staffs in older Greek use. If research by John Anthony West into symbolic Egyptian understanding is correct, they too had an understanding of the pineal gland as being the basis for human mystical experience (sometimes called 'cosmic consciousness', 'Christ consciousness', even 'I and the Father are One' could be what Christ was supposedly referring to [with the patriarchal word 'father' really meaning the concept of base level of all of Reality that is experienced when transcending ordinary consciousness in this way] - of course most Christians would find this totally incorrect but then again I feel it's possible Christ learned yogic and Buddhist ideas and experience and even survived crucifixion attempt and ended up in Kashmir - google "roza bal" - so I guess I'm a heretic!). The absolute feeling of being fully one and not separate from the whole Universe is an understood goal of yogic and Asian religions - but apparently a blasphemous thing to say or think in the monotheistic religions of the west)

Of course my idea of Heracles (Hercules) defeating the dragon Ladon (constellation Draco?) as representing something like this is just an idea at present. But there is a line of ascent from Scorpius, north through Ophiuchus (the Serpent handler and healer and representation of the Greek Asclepius -whose "Rod of Asclepius" is still the medical symbol today... actually this is a hidden zodiacal constellation with the Sun being within it even longer than in Scorpius) and into Hercules whose foot is upon Draco. Next in line is the north celestial pole. I am trying to research if there may be something represented in this line of constellations to the north celestial pole. It's very interesting to wonder about such things but given the myth of Heracles and the apples of Hesperides, I do wonder!

The whole sky of invented constellations contains mainly mythological representations (mainly Greek but much go further back to older times and some the ancient Greeks didn't even know where their root was from). Whole segments of the constellations have mythological stories attached to them (constellations Andromeda, Perseus, Pegasus, Cepheus, Cassiopeia is a whole main story attached to the sky by human imagination. The sacrifice of the King [Cepheus] and Queen's [Cassiopeia] virgin daughter [Andromeda] to a sea monster [Cetus] or water spirit which is defeated by a hero [Perseus] is the pattern seen in other culture's myths). Many of these constellations and even their stories go back much further and the names may change but often the basic ideas don't (so the constellation Hercules kneeling with a foot upon the dragon Draco does appear to correlate to the older sun-god Izhdubar and the dragon Tiamat (Izhdubar being associated with Nimrod, and even King Gilgamesh of the Sumerians - a basic symbolic story passing through different cultures and renamed)

(there is the idea of Hercules [really, the Greek Heracles] as a solar diety and his twelve labours as symbolic of the solar journey through the zodiacal constellations)

------------

The 12 zodiacal constellations are along the ecliptic and are the apparent path of the Sun throughout the year. There have been alterations throughout history which I haven't fully investigated. Apparently at one time, Scorpius, Libra and Virgo region were of one group. Later Scorpius included the stars of Libra as a larger Scorpion - that area being the claws of the Scorpion as revealed in these star names within Libra today:

Zubeneschamali - altered Arabic for "northern claw"

Zubenelgenubi - altered Arabic for "southern claw"

Eventually Libra as the scales was envisioned.

--------------

Obviously, in the Northern hemisphere, to cultures which had agriculture based upon the the typical four seasonal changes, their activities were centred around the apparent power (and height in the sky) of the Sun throughout the year.

At one point, Leo was the site of the Summer solstice ( ie, when the Sun attained it's apparent highest altitude in the sky). Around 2350BC, the bright star Regulus was very near the Summer Solstice.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Four Evangelists of the Bible as the Four Zodiacal seasonal points
--------------------------------------------------------------

Regulus was one of the ancient Royal Stars. Roughly around 2350BC, these four stars were near the four zodiacal points

1. Fomalhaut (Piscis Australis the 'southern fish') - Winter Solstice. Actually this is below Aquarius and the solstice was within Aquarius
2. Regulus (Leo the lion) - Summer solstice
3. Aldebaran (Taurus the bull) - Vernal Equinox
4. Antares (Scorpius the scorpion) - Autumnal Equinox

Star Names: Their Lore and Meaning" (Richard Hinckley Allen) - Quote from the section on Scorpius

"Sir William Drummond asserted that in the zodiac which the patriarch Abraham knew it was an Eagle"

1. Matthew symbol is the angel and human (Aquarius) - Winter Solstice
2. Mark symbol is the Lion - (Leo the lion) - Summer solstice
3. Luke symbiol is the Ox - (Taurus the bull) - Vernal Equinox
4. John symbol is the Eagle - (Scorpius) - Autumnal Equinox

It's interesting that the reference of Scorpius with an Eagle (or Phoenix - the bird which becomes resurrected) seems to correlate the symbols of the Four Evangelists with these four older zodiacal constellations

These evangelists are represented with these three animal figures and the angel (so these 3 animals and a human). From various sources, they state a correlation of these principle points on the zodiac to these four evangelists which are named for the four books of the New Testament.

I heard Jordan Maxwell discuss some of this but I didn't listen to all of his recordings. I did hear his explanation of 'precession of the Equinoxes' and it was not correct but it doesn't mean the other ideas are false.

He mentioned the cause being the Sun physically moving throughout the stars of the galaxy but that is definately not the cause of the precession of the equinoxes (The Sun does have a motion around the centre of the actual galaxy but this is not the cause of precession of the equinoxes). Precession of the equinoxes is due to the slow almost 26000 year "wobble" of the direction of the Earth's rotational axis. The angle remains roughly the same but it performs basically a slow circular wobble like a spinning top might wobble whilst still spinning (as example). This appears to be caused by gravitational forces such as from the Moon upon the tidal bulge on the Earth. The visual result )as seen by humans on Earth) is a very slow apparent shift of the solstice and equinox points in the sky over the span of almost 26000 (I can't recall the exact number) years.

This concept is very important to any concerns about astrotheology as it means that over millenia, the whole symbolic representation of what the constellations signify as relating to agricultural cycles, times of spring, summers, autumn, winter (etc) will change.

Another deeper meaning is that the various constellations may have been invented by ancient humans to visually symbolize certain ages of different types of conditions over a period of tens of thousands of years.

Usually accepted and promoted history of civilization gives a certain time range of complicated civilization but according to John Anthony West, rain erosion patterns on the Sphinz in Egypt suggest the body (or at least the surrounding enclosure) was created when the rains were last in that region - over 10500 years ago! This goes against modern official history.

The biblical story of the Great Flood is very similar to the one from the much older Sumerian account in the Epic of Gilgmesh. Other stories around the world may point to a very serious catastophe in the distant past. Personally I have a hunch that the common fear of comets in the sky as dreaded omens reflects back to a time when a very bad catastrophe may have reduced advanced civilization back to a primative level. Could it be possible that rather complex civilizations were around over 10500 years BC?

Of course I don't believe it was "God" (as the Bible claims) or the Sumerian gods who sent a Great Flood (according to the Epic of Gilgamesh, their gods didn't like all the noise humans were making so they wanted to destroy humanity LOL) but human culture would attribute such disasters to gods.

What if there are visual symbols of ages past within the constellations. The location of the solstices/equinoxes over 26000 year cycle of precession could hold clues to some hypothetical trends of climate or change that happen cyclically.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ram's Horn (Aries?) - Golden Calf (age of Taurus?) - Fish (Pisces?)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Some people do point to the changing of where the vernal equinox point is within the constellations as a correlation to various changes of religions over time (example, the story of Moses coming back with the commandments and seeing the people had made a golden calf... this supposedly as a symbolic reference to Taurus and no longer appropriate as this was the transferance into the age of Aries (Ram ... with the Jewish use of the ram's horn symbol).

The Vernal Equinox within Pisces (the fishes) would be the association with the age of Christianity. Around the time between the switch from BC to AD, the vernal equinox is very near 'omicron Piscium' (a star in the constellation west side and generally along the usual visual shape of that constellation's western side). Reading 'Star Names :Their Lore and Meaning" shows some references to Christ with this constellation (including the fishes he fed the masses with). Other references even going back to opinions of Johannes Kepler involving three consecutive conjunctions of Saturn and Jupiter within Pisces

google "star names their lore and meaning" and click Pisces

That's a very good reference to star names and also information on the mythological and symbolic background within the constellations

I have this as a book but sometimes it's easier to do a word-search in the online version. It's originally from the 1800's but since it's subject is from distant history, much info is still ok.

----------
----------

There is definately evidence suggesting many mythological gods are solar dieties and their labours or mythological life stories symbolically mirror passage through the zodiac. The whole death and resurrection is many times symbolic of the cyclic changes from dead winter to summer.

Solstice is latin for solstitium "point at which the sun seems to stand still"

This appears (pre-telescopic naked eye observing) to be about a 3 or so day period from what I've read and it does correlate to the length of time of Easter as well as the time from the Winter Solstice to Christmas day. To ancient humans whose lives depend on growing seasons, the observation of the apparently dead Sun (not gaining any altitude in the sky at local noon over several days) finally starting it's gain in daily altitude was a great symbolic event of rebirth of the Sun.

---------------

In my opinion, the greatest series of lectures I have heard on the subject of not only zodiacal astrotheology but as related to the planets known to the ancients (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) and two luminaries (Sun , Moon) as symbols of understanding the ancient system of seeing Reality, was by Manly P. Hall.

google : manlyphall org ... and click on astrotheology

Anyone interested in this subject should really really listen to all parts of that series including the "Solar Christmas"

-----------------------------------------------
Tarot cards symbolism as a zodiacal solar journey
-----------------------------------------------

Here's something I'm currently wondering more about. The idea that the major arcana of the Tarot cards represents a series of symbolic representations of the solar journey through the constellations (in my researching, not always the zodiacal ones).

As an example the card 'Strength' may be when the Sun transfers from Leo into Virgo ... as the card shows the woman controlling the jaws of the lion (in most decks).

My opinion of Tarot cards are essentially as visual symbolism that can allow the extraction of subconscious impulses into the conscious. So I dont see them as "telling the future" in the normal way but as symbols to grab out the thoughts that are already just below the surface anyway.

--------------

Anyway, to some, this whole post may seem ridiculous but by thinking of things as symbolic representations of things, instead of "literal history" one can gain a lot of insight from religions, mythologies, alchemical symbols and such.
M*W: Welcome to Sciforums, and thank you for your informative post. I hope to hear a lot more from you. You are obviously more learned on the subject that I. Your post is the very reason I created this thread. I was hoping to get the word out to people who had knowledge of astro-theology to reply. Again, welcome. I am glad that you're here.

Is there any scientific backing for any of this? Belief in the supernatural is an instinct? Do we know this? How? I wasn't aware that Jung's ideas were respected or even taken seriously in the scientific community, but I am hardly well read in that area.

No, there is not--and there are plenty of conflicting theories. Of course, someone publishes a ridiculous story in some popular science magazine every few years arguing for this "god instinct."

As I mentioned above, it is very clear that many myths came out of altered state experiences, which are often repeatable by people from outside the cultures. For example snake sightings when taking ayhuasca. It is very clear from cave drawings where human animals drawings are repeatedly represented, that much mythology or religious ideas come from shamans - and I use the term in its broadest sense for those engaging in meditation, trance work, journeying, ritual possession, hallucinagenic plant experiences, etc. These 'internal' experiences clearly lead to ideas about what is really going on both inside and outside.

Rather, this evidence--cave paintings, etc.--is suggestive, possibly. Have you examined such? Did you arrive at the same conclusions? Of course, I'm just repeating myself, but sciforums is all about the repetition and repeated posters saying exactly the same things which have already been said before, and all that again and again. (Not sayin' that life in general isn't like this, but internet forums have elevated such to an art form--or maybe ...) Pehaps there is something transcendent in that.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to derail my thread? What you may believe is your belief.
This subforum is not about what you or I believe. Nor is it about preaching.
It is about looking at religions, religious beliefs and practices and the relationship of those to eachother with a scientific, objective eye.

M*W: Welcome to Sciforums, and thank you for your informative post. I hope to hear a lot more from you. You are obviously more learned on the subject that I. Your post is the very reason I created this thread. I was hoping to get the word out to people who had knowledge of astro-theology to reply. Again, welcome. I am glad that you're here.

As I said earlier...
You found something that would validate what you wanted to believe - therefore anyone who agrees with you is correct and anyone who disagrees is ignorant.

Don't worry, I am done with your ridiculous thread.
This nonsense should be moved to Metaphysics.

This subforum is not about what you or I believe. Nor is it about preaching.
It is about looking at religions, religious beliefs and practices and the relationship of those to eachother with a scientific, objective eye.

As I said earlier...
You found something that would validate what you wanted to believe - therefore anyone who agrees with you is correct and anyone who disagrees is ignorant.

Don't worry, I am done with your ridiculous thread.
This nonsense should be moved to Metaphysics.

and just look at all the religious astronomers we have today.

Last edited:
i dont think so.

if you can show some correlation between religion and astronomy in modern times then you may have something meaningful. you are confusing and astrology and religion and the few references you cite do as well.

i dont think so.

if you can show some correlation between religion and astronomy in modern times then you may have something meaningful. you are confusing and astrology and religion and the few references you cite do as well.
M*W: Glad you brought that up. I am only referring to the ancient humans who created their gods from the objects in the sky. It's not a modern day religion that I know of. I do believe, however, that many if not all religions today evolved from the ancient sky myths.

I have posted bibliographies several times, and I don't want to repeat that again. The info is readily available on the Internet.

M*W: Glad you brought that up. I am only referring to the ancient humans who created their gods from the objects in the sky... again.

But that is the whole point, it didnt happen. What you are referring to is more modern and tied into sci-fi. it doesnt matter to me except that these references are not accurate.

The info is readily available on the Internet.

unfortunately it is....sigh.

But that is the whole point, it didnt happen. What you are referring to is more modern and tied into sci-fi. it doesnt matter to me except that these references are not accurate.

unfortunately it is....sigh.
M*W: John, can you tell me why you this this is a modern, sci-fi belief? If you refer back to one of the bibliographies I have posted, you will find the legitimate researchers who have published on this subject. It really doesn't matter to me if this is true or not. It makes sense to me, and from what I've read, it makes sense to credible scientists. Since I am atheist, it really doesn't matter what ancient man believed at that time to be their gods, because there are no gods. I have more of an interest in ancient human nature than I do of what they might have believed. The point I am trying to make isn't so much of what they believed, but how their ancient myths evolved into modern day religions (christianity, islam, judaism, etc.). Whether the ancients were right or wrong makes no difference to me. What they created and believed was only myth.

M*W: John, can you tell me why you this this is a modern, sci-fi belief?

because much of it, if not all, is viewed from a modern perspective. when i say modern i mean relatively modern. i cant see ancient people being fixated with astronomy. i may have said it as a joke but it was an honest point. they didnt know enough about the solar system for it to be that big of a deal.

I'm not sure I understand. Why was it you were hoping someone like him would reply? You had no questions or comments for this learned person?

because much of it, if not all, is viewed from a modern perspective. when i say modern i mean relatively modern. i cant see ancient people being fixated with astronomy. i may have said it as a joke but it was an honest point. they didnt know enough about the solar system for it to be that big of a deal.
M*W: I think they actually did know about the solar system from what they could see through human eyes. Sure, it's not up to par with what we know today about the solar system, but it was of great interest to ancient man. I think the ancients created the myths from the skies as a form of entertainment. That evolved into science (pseudoscience?) and religion. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd post another bibliography, but obviously, the interest and understanding of astro-theology is just not overwhelming on Sciforums even though it's been around for more than 5,000 years. I guess this is one of those things where we would've had to have been there to understand it.

Hi M*W,

I guess this is one of those things where we would've had to have been there to understand it.

that is partially true. what i posted is, for the most part, the extent of my knowledge on this subject. there doesnt seem like many people at all believe in this though.

Hi M*W,

that is partially true. what i posted is, for the most part, the extent of my knowledge on this subject. there doesnt seem like many people at all believe in this though.
M*W: I think your post reflects the extent of knowledge most people have on this subject. However, it's not just a matter of "believing" in ancient sky beings, it's a matter of learning how ancient myths and legends of our solar system evolved into modern day religions. I don't believe in the veracity of it (astro-theology) myself, but I do believe it was an ancient religion as it has been documented by folks such as Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell, et al.. My understanding of astro-theology is that it was the mother of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Their holy books are full of reminders of their pre-history.

I think a lot of people on this forum think I am saying to "believe" in astro-theology as a religion. I'm not (that's the last thing I would do)! All I am asking for people to do is to learn how the ancient nomads, as they traveled by night, created stories about the stars. These myths then evolved into the major religions, but there is no absolute truth in any of them.

Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung as athropologists are not very well respected. They collected ideas and formed theories without much direct knowledge of the cultures they were grocery shopping from.

Back