Asteroid Could Strike Mars in Early 2008

Why don't we bring Mars to us?

Instead of going there couldn't we push it closer and take it's resources then push it back?
I'm going to assume you're being genuine here.

The technology required to move a planet is well beyond anything we are even close to having. While there's nothing theoretically impossible about doing this, the energy requirements and the finesse required to get mars into a stable binary orbit with the earth (which is the only way to do it) without altering the earth's solar orbit are both immense. I really can't see us having that level of technology for thousands of years, if ever.

Why don't we bring Mars to us?

Instead of going there couldn't we push it closer and take it's resources then push it back?

Interesting idea, John 99; maybe in 100-200 years time we'll have the technology to do it. Apropos the actual subject of the thread, I heard something about this business on the radio a couple of nights ago. My immediate first thought was 'there but for the grace of God...' but I spose we'll get ours one of these days. It was only pure good luck that the two major asteroid impacts of the 20th C. (1908 and 1947) were both in Siberia. BTW, if the asteroid of 1908 had struck Earth five hours later, at the same latitude, it would have obliterated St. Petersburg--now that could`ve had some interesting historical results for the 20th C., no doubt.

Back