Arrogance & Religion

Originally posted by one_raven
On second thought in the context of this analogy think of the photon not as a particle, rather as the kinetic energy that is passed from ping-pong ball to ping-pong ball.
That would be the wave theory of light then.
How do you account for the particle-like behavior?

~Raithere

Originally posted by Raithere
That would be the wave theory of light then.
How do you account for the particle-like behavior?

~Raithere

It is difficult to talk about this mapped to this analogy.

Try it this way...

The ping-pong balls are the photons.
And think of the kinetic energy passed between them as the EM Radiation.
The ping-pong balls are particles, that, en masse, seem to be moving in a wave-like formation when they react to the EM Radiation (kinetic energy from you hitting on ball at the edge of the pool table).

Make more sense now?
Can you see how particles can appear to act as waves?

Last edited:
one raven:

That is the wave theory of light:

“17.2 Huygen's Wave Theory of Light
Around the same time, as Newton formulated his corpuscles' theory, his contemporary Huygen formulated the wave theory of light. The predominant model of wave propagation upto the end of the 19th century was modulations in some medium, therefore a medium called ether was hypothesized for waves of light to be produced due to vibrations of the particles of ether. The necessity of hypothesizing ether which is different than any material medium known to us, arises because light travels through empty space for example from sun and stars as well as dense objects like glass, diamond etc.“
http://www.pinkmonkey.com/studyguides/subjects/physics/chap17/p1717201.asp

However, the results of the photo-electric effect experiments cannot be explained by this theory. The quantization of energy is also suggestive of particle like properties. Additionally, the aether itself must also possess some very strange properties. But even regardless of these issues there remain various observances of quantum indeterminacy that remain; such as the indeterminacy of polarization.

~Raithere

I know all that.

Which is why I said for the analogy you will have to assume that the Aether does exist.

My model falls into the same mechanical picture of the Aether, but it explains Einstein's observations in his photelectric experiments, answers the polarity questions, addresses the M&M results, and then some.

Well, I still don't see how you'll get out of some of the indeterminacy issues but I'll be very interested in reading your theory someday. Keep me on your mailing list. :)

~Raithere

Back