Argument with a buddy

The most difficult piece of folk wisdom to fully appreciate is the statement : everyone is different.

There is an all too human tendency to assume that other people must feel the way we do. So Greenboy has a touch of the bisexual, and assumes everyone else must be the same. Well, it aint so. We are genuinely all different.

Well I am from a small town in Pennsylvania with a public school education and working the fields to help at home since I was 12 years old, I am not a college graduate or anything like that. So what do you want?

I'd like to raise the question "are some people born homosexual?"

I'm inclined to think no, but I'd like to see the arguments for both sides.

Absolutely clear cut inheritance. Homosexual men fail to reproduce, and all their children fail to do the same. Obviously genetic.

Well we are also a product of our environment and changes on attitude and behavior make you think different. If you are 79 your answer is going to be influenced by the culture during your formations years the same if you are 55 or 24 we are probably in the same background culture but with different cultural attitudes to different behaviors and or perception of beauty or what is right or wrong. A Roman man from the Roman Empire probably won't be able to answer this question the same way our 79 years old buddy in this forum is. I do believe in Cultural evolution even when this is probably no as positive as we think, or want.

Demographics of sexual orientation

Here is a Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation

Depending on which study you pick, between 8.6% and 20% of men (excluding those that identify themselves as homosexual) have had sexual thoughts about other men.

This is a very difficult area to study since many cultures strongly condemn same-sex behaviour resulting in people being less likely to report such feelings.

In ancient Greece culture, men were expected to have same-sex lovers since women were considered inferior baby-making machines and incapable of true love.

Cultural attitudes have a huge impact on actual (as opposed to preferred) sexual behaviour.

Probably, in a culture where there was no stigma attached to sexual behaviour, there would be a larger number of men that would acknowledge same-sex attraction but it is very unlikely it would be everyone.

Back