Are You a Victim of Relgious Bigotry

Bowser

Namaste
Valued Senior Member
I might have lived a sheltered life, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single instance when I was accosted by a religious fanatic. That's not to say I haven't witnessed zealotry, but that enthusiasm has never been forced upon me. Now, my parents took me to church once when I was a child, and I have family members who hold and practice religious beliefs, yet I'm still free to do as I believe. I suppose that that is why religion doesn't irritate me as it does others, and why I am more tolerant of it than many. I haven't personally experienced any harm from the various cults that share our community.

Setting aside religions' sway on society in general--which is very small where I live--can you honestly say that you have been a victim of religious bigotry?

Are you truly a victim?

I might have lived a sheltered life, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single instance when I was accosted by a religious fanatic.
define accosted..

That's not to say I haven't witnessed zealotry,
krishna?

Setting aside religions' sway on society in general--which is very small where I live--can you honestly say that you have been a victim of religious bigotry?
that can work both ways..christians are supposed to be a persecuted ppl..:shrug: i don't feel i am being persecuted for my religion ,one has to only look in the Images that Provoke Emotion to see how real persecution is..

Are you truly a victim?
implies 'are you sure you were victimized'

The idea here is whether or not you were trampled or coerced by religion in your lifetime. There seems to be a vigorous aversion to religion and its beliefs on this forum, and I can only assume that that is based on current or previous experiences. I personally have not been a victim. Having an inclination towards spirituality, I think my exposure to religious perspectives has served my growth as a person, whereas many others would view it as an obstacle. And I want to know if any of us feels as though they have been victims of religious bigotry.

define accosted...
To confront boldly.

I've never had anyone get in my face with their religion. I may be the exception.

Are they even around any more? I haven't seen one of those guys in a long time. :D I thinking about street preachers and such, but it's been a long time since I've last seen one them, too.

that can work both ways..christians are supposed to be a persecuted ppl.. i don't feel i am being persecuted for my religion
That could serve as a topic for a whole new thread; unfortunately we don't have many Christians on Sciforums.

implies 'are you sure you were victimized'
Some people might consider themselves victims simply because they were exposed to the concepts of a specific religion, like running across a flasher on the street. :shrug:

Since I'm atheist I really have developed my own inner peace and nothing any religious group/person does ever really bothers me. Some of my friends are religious, Jewish, Catholic Muslim, Buddhist and others as well. Having belief in myself I'm confident enough to let others believe in anything they want to because that's their right to do so just as it is mine to believe the way I do. While we discuss at times religious things we never argue to the point of getting mad or upset at each other and still carry on a great friendship no matter what is said. I never have been approached by anyone that wouldn't go away if I asked them politely to do so in my life.

Last edited:
I might have lived a sheltered life, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single instance when I was accosted by a religious fanatic.

I can't either really. I've rarely even seen any religious fanatics, except occasionally in the newspapers and more recently on the internet.

Street-corner evangelists don't exist in Silicon Valley where I live. I don't recall ever seeing one. I see them in downtown San Francisco from time to time, but most of those are people from out of town who occasionally descend on SF in groups of 10 or 15 from churches in places like Georgia, hoping to convert the heathens. That's pretty unusual though, and most of the odd street preachers that I've seen in SF were single individuals, local street crazies shouting incoherently about their religious obsession. SF's fabled tolerance attracts lots of out-of-town people with serious psychiatric problems.

We do have some Silicon Valley fundamentalist churches, a few Bible bookstores and similar things, but they keep a low profile and don't bother anybody. Nobody else is likely to ever encounter them unless somebody seeks them out.

That's not to say I haven't witnessed zealotry, but that enthusiasm has never been forced upon me.

Yeah, it's easy to walk right by the odd raving street-preacher. In a moment they are gone... out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

Now, my parents took me to church once when I was a child, and I have family members who hold and practice religious beliefs, yet I'm still free to do as I believe.

A number of my extended family are Christians, several are even fairly committed and devout, but they are pretty relaxed about it and never pushy. The only time one of them pressured me to go to church was because she had a part in a Christmas pagent and wanted me to come see it.

I suppose that that is why religion doesn't irritate me as it does others, and why I am more tolerant of it than many.

I feel the same way. Not only do I not share the familiar atheist hatred for religion, I find religion endlessly fascinating. That's not really a big departure in my family though, since my mother was fascinated by religion in much the same way that I am. (Both my mother and I studied religion in university.) My father was an aeronautical engineer who didn't think about religion a whole lot one way or the other.

Those kinds of experiences have led me to speculate about what it is that drives so many atheists' visceral and passionate dislike of religion. My speculation is that many of these atheists are people whose early experiences with other people's religiosity weren't nearly as happy and relaxed as mine were.

Are you truly a victim?

No. Never, that I can recall.

I might have lived a sheltered life, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single instance when I was accosted by a religious fanatic. That's not to say I haven't witnessed zealotry, but that enthusiasm has never been forced upon me. Now, my parents took me to church once when I was a child, and I have family members who hold and practice religious beliefs, yet I'm still free to do as I believe. I suppose that that is why religion doesn't irritate me as it does others, and why I am more tolerant of it than many. I haven't personally experienced any harm from the various cults that share our community.

Are you truly a victim?

Actually my experiences in this regard have been quite humorous, or at least appear to be so now from my present perspective.

Let me see...I've been called a Papist, a Pope-smoocher, and a variety of other anti-Catholic things...of course, that was by my dad, the Stalinist Communist, so I don't know if that counts. :D I loved the miserable old bastard anyway, though at the time it was upsetting.

There was a girl, mind, in the old-old-old lab, who told me how her dad used to call the chicken's tail a "Pope's nose"; the impression being, I think, meant to be that shit comes out from thereunder. (A little offensive, a little funny.) I think she subscribed to this joke, although maybe not the underlying ethos; I can't remember if I had to explain it's probably meaning to her or not. Although she did say that Catholics had too many children... then had two or three kids out of wedlock and moved to Alaska. This is irony. Nice enough girl, a bit off kilter.

A large and fat woman of another religion, to judge by her headgear, refused to move her bags and coffee and let my four-year-old son sit down on a seat she was occupying beside her own. I don't think it was a particular time of year in which a state of religious purity is desired in that religion, although it may have been, or perhaps she just hated us, or possibly both.

There have been the odd few times when I was dating members of foresaid faith and received some pretty stiff receptions from the immediate and extended family. Yet, standing 6'5'' and 260 flat with a fair bit of martial arts experience does confer a certain privilege in such matters of the heart.

But the all-time champs for religious...bigotry? For making a religious impression? Maybe that's it... must be the Witnesses of Jehovah. I made the mistake - just once, for that's all it takes - of accepting some literature and they hounded me like the Black Dog of Angus for ten years.

It was unbelievable. All those stories you've heard about their bloodhound abilities which seem implausible? BELIEVE THEM. THEY ARE TRUE. I moved not once but four times within that city and they tracked me down each time. Knock on the door, "Is Geoff there?" "Uh, hello. I guess I'm it now again, am I?" Then - get this - we moved cities and still they came by. How in the name of Myuu almighty they managed it I have no idea: is there some great Mormonesque database in the intertubes, managed by dangerous-talking clean-cut garrulous old men in sunglasses backed up by a throng of hair-chefed believers and throaty suit-wearing gay women? ("Big Love" reference: please remain in your seats; and yes, I know it's not the same thing. Let it go.) How was it done? Canada Post? Occult tricks? Dynamically reconfigurable hidden-layer neural networks using fully programmable gate array technology? (Charles Stross reference; let it go.) Who can say? I've heard similar tales and their legendary prowess and devotion is...well, legendary, actually.

Ironically, the only man I knew able to beat them at their own game was my father. He did this via the expedient - or not - of inviting them in, and arguing with them for two hours.

They never returned. Somewhere in God's little pyramid scheme, my line has earned a black mark.

I was made fun of on the school bus by a large group of high schoolers for admitting I was a Buddhist and told I was going to hell.
They seemed to be happy I was going to hell, too.

East Texas produces a rather vicious variety of Southern Baptist...they're really happy you're gonna fry, and the fact that they're well off-that means God loves them better.

Not that they are chiseling crooks and owe their cash to that fact in many cases...but they are chiseling crooks. Jesus just forgives them. The kind of people who can talk about the evils of homosexuality six days a week, and get blown in a car on Saturday night outside a gay bar.

IOW, if they were any more hypocritical their underpants would be smoking. Can you tell how much I don't like them? I need to collect myself and move.

I went to a Christian school, and hymns were sung at every morning assembly. If you complained, you had to wait in the corridor, there was no secular alternative. There were punishments for forgetting to take your hymn book to assembly.

I also get disturbed in the evenings, mostly by Jehovah's Witnesses,.... but also Mormons and regular Christians. Then in town, there's often some bunch singing about Jesus in the high street,... from lame ass rappers trying to rhyme words with Jesus, to this old guy that plays an accordion and harmonica really, really badly.

How peaceful it would be, if they preferred quiet contemplation over proselytising.

There seems to be a vigorous aversion to religion and its beliefs on this forum, and I can only assume that that is based on current or previous experiences.

The belief that a god who tortures the majority of his children in hell for all eternity is a loving god deserves vigorous aversion.

A person has to be amoral to not be stirred by that Christian doctrine.

can you honestly say that you have been a victim of religious bigotry?

I find your question to be strange.
Why do ask about religious bigotry?
Do you think it is impossible to be accosted and abused by people who are genuinely religious?

I was coerced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every school day for 12 years.

I remember that shit clearly. Can you also remember filling out those yearly forms at the beginning of each school year? The ones that wanted to know your race and religion? I was intimidated and felt bullied by that form. I didn't believe in a god, but after hearing how badly some students got ridiculed and taunted, I lied and put down Methodist or some such bullshit. I don't remember anyone claiming to be Atheist all the way through 8th grade.

I find your question to be strange.
Why do ask about religious bigotry?
Do you think it is impossible to be accosted and abused by people who are genuinely religious?

After reading some of the posts, it does seem to depend on where you lived and who you knew. I've never experienced it in my lifetime, so I take it that I'm fortunate, having been exposed to only the fundementals. I've known people of religion but never felt as though they thought less of me because I wasn't of the same mind.

I was more curious about the experiences of those who visit this forum, since many seem rabid when discussing religion. I'm wondering whether past negative experiences played a role in their viewpoint.

I actually know a couple people who practice the positive principles of their religion and proved themselves to be relatively good people.

The belief that a god who tortures the majority of his children in hell for all eternity is a loving god deserves vigorous aversion.

That's why I stopped being a Christian around 12. It actually felt rather painful, all that religious feeling and not sure where to take it.

It was much like an agnostic funeral: all dressed up, but not sure where to go (ba-dum-ting!).

Are you truly a victim?

Did 9/11 happen to all Americans or just the immediate people in the vicinity. I heard that every American knows someone that knows someone that was involved at ground zero . I know here in rural Montana I know several peoples lives that were touched by the loss personally . My own dead Aunt Chicky worked for the pentagon Library . Youngest of 5 sisters

Hey now that has not happened yet . You got to do the crime before judgment is past . Did you ever think that might mean something else then what you are thinking ? Like to many of the people are to stupid to come to the light and that is why they will live in hell . They will die in there own little hells they call there life and when there dead they are dead and can no longer feel the joy that life has to offer. Died before they can get the bitterness out of them selves . Hold grudges and never forgive the weak for common human mistakes and in that grow there bitterness until all of there personal life is loneliness and isolation . Forced into a lonely existence by there unwillingness to bend at the hip . Die in an old folks home were the C.N.A.s are your only hope of human contact as they roll you over to keep you from getting bed sores . Hell is real . Hell is now . It goes on every day

Did 9/11 happen to all Americans or just the immediate people in the vicinity. I heard that every American knows someone that knows someone that was involved at ground zero . I know here in rural Montana I know several peoples lives that were touched by the loss personally . My own dead Aunt Chicky worked for the pentagon Library . Youngest of 5 sisters

Excellent point! You know, that had me pumped up for a long time, and it did give me an attitude towards Muslims and Islam. I had forgotten about that. I didn't lose anyone close, but I did feel very emotional about it. Very good.

I was coerced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every school day for 12 years.

It must have been extremely painful ! I can give you a lollipop if that will make you feel better ! I was coerced too . I was also coerced into eating lima beans . I still can't get bad taste out of my mouth and that was like 40 years ago . My mouth is sylivaing right know thinking about the taste . It is trying to wash away the bad taste that still haunts me when I think about it . The pledge I can't really remember all of it , but those lima beans are just like I ate them an hour ago just from saying the word Lima

Actually my experiences in this regard have been quite humorous, or at least appear to be so now from my present perspective.

Let me see...I've been called a Papist, a Pope-smoocher, and a variety of other anti-Catholic things...of course, that was by my dad, the Stalinist Communist, so I don't know if that counts. :D I loved the miserable old bastard anyway, though at the time it was upsetting.

There was a girl, mind, in the old-old-old lab, who told me how her dad used to call the chicken's tail a "Pope's nose"; the impression being, I think, meant to be that shit comes out from thereunder. (A little offensive, a little funny.) I think she subscribed to this joke, although maybe not the underlying ethos; I can't remember if I had to explain it's probably meaning to her or not. Although she did say that Catholics had too many children... then had two or three kids out of wedlock and moved to Alaska. This is irony. Nice enough girl, a bit off kilter.

A large and fat woman of another religion, to judge by her headgear, refused to move her bags and coffee and let my four-year-old son sit down on a seat she was occupying beside her own. I don't think it was a particular time of year in which a state of religious purity is desired in that religion, although it may have been, or perhaps she just hated us, or possibly both.

There have been the odd few times when I was dating members of foresaid faith and received some pretty stiff receptions from the immediate and extended family. Yet, standing 6'5'' and 260 flat with a fair bit of martial arts experience does confer a certain privilege in such matters of the heart.

But the all-time champs for religious...bigotry? For making a religious impression? Maybe that's it... must be the Witnesses of Jehovah. I made the mistake - just once, for that's all it takes - of accepting some literature and they hounded me like the Black Dog of Angus for ten years.

It was unbelievable. All those stories you've heard about their bloodhound abilities which seem implausible? BELIEVE THEM. THEY ARE TRUE. I moved not once but four times within that city and they tracked me down each time. Knock on the door, "Is Geoff there?" "Uh, hello. I guess I'm it now again, am I?" Then - get this - we moved cities and still they came by. How in the name of Myuu almighty they managed it I have no idea: is there some great Mormonesque database in the intertubes, managed by dangerous-talking clean-cut garrulous old men in sunglasses backed up by a throng of hair-chefed believers and throaty suit-wearing gay women? ("Big Love" reference: please remain in your seats; and yes, I know it's not the same thing. Let it go.) How was it done? Canada Post? Occult tricks? Dynamically reconfigurable hidden-layer neural networks using fully programmable gate array technology? (Charles Stross reference; let it go.) Who can say? I've heard similar tales and their legendary prowess and devotion is...well, legendary, actually.

Ironically, the only man I knew able to beat them at their own game was my father. He did this via the expedient - or not - of inviting them in, and arguing with them for two hours.

They never returned. Somewhere in God's little pyramid scheme, my line has earned a black mark.

I do what your Father did . They don't come back . Besides that Satan scares them . God scares them even more

Back