Are we really smarter than dolphins?

smoking revolver
Valued Senior Member
"Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter for exactly the same reasons."
Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Heh.

Well, dolphins are smart, but they can never come to our technological level because they cannot develop fire.

...What kind of crackpot thinks he knows what dolphins think?

Anyway, that's interesting. Intelligence is just a word, it can mean different things.

They are smarter...they don't need schools to educate and McDonald's to eat :D

We only build cars cos of a physical form, dolphins don't have arms and can't build machinery as it would obviously rust or wear away. You try building a car with flippers while trying to swim. Whats the point of a dolphin having a car? It can swim faster than most speed limits anyway

Anyway, Dolphins are pretty cool. And probably damned smart too.

Well, dolphins are smart, but they can never come to our technological level because they cannot develop fire.

Pollux not to sound like a smart ass or anything but how can they develop fire when they live in water?:)

Im pretty sure that in a alternate universe dolhins came up from out of the water and killed primative man....it would just make to much sense.:bugeye:

As you should already know Coffee God.

Dolphins and man shared the land and man drove dolphins to the water.

Dolphins are sure to drive us to the oceans AND DROWN KRUSTY. NOOOOO!!!

Oh my goodness Thunder God I had forgotten all about that. We must try to fight them back! (who would of thought that they were so good at walking):eek:

'SNORKY TALK MAN'

Anywho, if a Doplhins brain was transplanted into a mans body, what would happen? Theres the obvious fall about the floor and looking confused. But after it got used to being in that body. What would happen?

The human body would probably die from eating so much raw fish. Or it would be the smartest creature ever to ive and would dominate the earth with a vast army of giant Carrots. Of course me with my coffee powers would send that dolphin/human strait into a caffiene coma!:D

But no dolphins arent smarter then humans, they always get caught in those nets.:(

What makes u think that dolphins are smart? Becouse they save people? Actually they "save" everything that is floating and about same size as they.

Pollux not to sound like a smart ass or anything but how can they develop fire when they live in water?

That's my point exactly, maybe you should focus your eyes and re-read my post?:p

Originally posted by pilpaX
What makes u think that dolphins are smart? Becouse they save people? Actually they "save" everything that is floating and about same size as they.

read my quote
"Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter for exactly the same reasons."

Maybe dolphins are smarter then us.

why I think dolphins are smarter?
how do I know, I think I was the one who asked the question in the first place;)

anyways- if there are reasons, then they are in the quote I provided

cheers

My Mom was killed by a dolphin Avatar. Later one took my hand right off, there all nice and friendly until you get to close:eek:

I think we judge smartness in relation to ourselves. Of course dolphins can't make tools and can't operate heavy machinery and so forth, but they do exhibit behavior much like humans. This is why we deem dolphins smart, well at least smarter than other animals. They can communicate with one another and also with us. These behaviors show a sort of evolution or gravitation towards intellect. They won't be doing advanced Calculus anytime soon but that's because their environment dictates this. We have expanded ourselves to almost every reach of the earth and therefore require lodging. We started building homes and after a while we built bigger homes and after a while more built large buildings and skyscrapers. Throughout all this we've advanced our intellect, our smartness to accomodate our needs. Dolphins number 1 priority in the "wild" is to survive. So there is only a certain degree of smartness that they can reach. I don't think dolphins are dumb. But I also don't think they are smarter than us.

YES YES YES. Halo, thats what I've been getting at

What would a Dolphin need an airplane for anyway :confused:

Back