Are we more deserving if we are dying tomorrow?

Randwolf

Ignorance killed the cat
Valued Senior Member
Girl, 9, 'marries' in Texas

Inspired by this thread, I am interested to know people's opinions on how much "bending" of the rules should be done to accommodate a dying person's wishes? The obvious example is the condemned man's "last meal". Should society change the way it treats an individual just because they are going to kick off soon? Does this person deserve special privileges? After all, we're all dying...

I would think it would consider what the situation is about. The age, sex and location are a few things to consider as well as what the actual problem is.

I would think it would consider what the situation is about. The age, sex and location are a few things toi consider as well as what the actual problem is.

Cosmic, could you elaborate? Are you saying that people of certain ages, sex or geographical location are more or less "deserving" of their last requests?

You'd treat yourself and those around you different if you found out you were dying soon.

Why?

Girl, 9, 'marries' in Texas

Inspired by this thread, I am interested to know people's opinions on how much "bending" of the rules should be done to accommodate a dying person's wishes? The obvious example is the condemned man's "last meal". Should society change the way it treats an individual just because they are going to kick off soon? Does this person deserve special privileges? After all, we're all dying...

In general you should be especially kind to anyone facing an obvious trauma. While everyone will die we do not all know the limits of our time here with such certainty, and confronting those limits can be traumatic. In this particular case the trauma is magnified by the fact the child has lived a life that was disproportionately weighed down by such problems and will miss out on many of the pleasures that most people can take for granted.

Raping that young woman with the glisteny hair? Um, no.

So, we are willing to accommodate last wishes so long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others. Is this not the same as society at large? Why make any exceptions at all then?

So, we are willing to accommodate last wishes so long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others. Is this not the same as society at large? Why make any exceptions at all then?

Well for example..I want a Blindside mountain bike, but there's no reason why I should have one immediately, I can save up for one like everyone else.

But a dying person might not live that long, so if there was something he/she really wanted, I can see why people would contribute to get it for them.

In general you should be especially kind to anyone facing an obvious trauma. While everyone will die we do not all know the limits of our time here with such certainty, and confronting those limits can be traumatic. In this particular case the trauma is magnified by the fact the child has lived a life that was disproportionately weighed down by such problems and will miss out on many of the pleasures that most people can take for granted.

Sure, but should we break rules, ignore morality and ethics ? I say no.

Well for example..I want a Blindside mountain bike, but there's no reason why I should have one immediately, I can save up for one like everyone else.

But a dying person might not live that long, so if there was something he/she really wanted, I can see why people would contribute to get it for them.

I too can see why people would go the "extra mile". But why? In cold logical terms, wouldn't it make more sense to buy that bike for someone who is going to enjoy it for years to come? Why do we (collective) place a higher value on someone with a very limited lifespan? Are they intrinsically more deserving?

That said, the real question is how much, if at all, that we should bend or break society's rules to grant these wishes?

I too can see why people would go the "extra mile". But why? In cold logical terms, wouldn't it make more sense to buy that bike for someone who is going to enjoy it for years to come? Why do we (collective) place a higher value on someone with a very limited lifespan? Are they intrinsically more deserving?

That said, the real question is how much, if at all, that we should bend or break society's rules to grant these wishes?

Why not? A healthy person can have it after they die.

I guess it is a desire to make their life as normal as possible and wherever possible prevent them from missing out on the things that other people can just take for granted.

This is true of all material things. Would you advocate that they receive a new Ferrari if that is their wish? After all, a healthy person can have it after they die...

Hell yeah. It does not infringe on anyone's rights, so, if people are willing do get this dying person a Ferrari, sure.

OK, so where are the boundaries? If people are willing, should the kids in the OP be able to have sex?

I doubt they would actually have sex, but if they wished to sexually experiment with each other, I see nothing wrong with this, kids do this normally, it is quite innocent.

I doubt they would actually have sex, but if they wished to sexually experiment with each other, I see nothing wrong with this, kids do this normally, it is quite innocent.

Works for me...

Would it be OK if all 9 year olds had sex? What if she wanted to have sex with a 14 year old that she thought she was in love with? Would that be OK?

Back