Are the effects of sodium on the human body temporary?

yes, and if you read the thread, you will note they said it AFTER my post. So don't go pretending you were head of your chemistry class. You read it here same as me, you're sitting there with a book in your lap, or you looked it up on the web. If I don't know something, I just don't know it. I'm not gonna pretend I know it and then be condescending to others about it.

And seriously, iron is salt? That's the limb you are going out on??

so, what about that sea salt with no iodine you mentioned and how the majority of people don't use iodized salt?

oh god, you really are stupid arnt you. Where the hell in either of there posts did they mention ions? covalent vs ionic bonding? latice structures? ect ect

Yes, i have studied it alot higher than you would have. i did biochem as part of my degree and as salts are VERY important to the body it was an area we had to study in detail. To be honest, i pitty you, you oviously never understood science did you. To me thats quite sad concidering both my parents have science degrees, my sister has a physio degree and im studying paramedics which comes under the medical sciences. science is both facinating and important and you oviously missed out on that.

Mod note: Please remain civil. There is no need to degenerate into insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh and BTW, on iron salts

Helen,

Iron is a metal that will react with lots of different acids to form their respective salts. The basic reaction for any metal is: Metal + acid = metal salt + hydrogen. So, if you react iron with hydrochloric acid, you will get iron chloride and hydrogen. Similarly with sulphuric acid; iron + sulphuric acid = iron sulphate + hydrogen. This fundemental equation is true for all metals as long as they are above hydrogen in the "electrochemical series"; if they are below hydrogen, the metal will not react with the acid. For instance, you now know what iron does, but if you try to dissolve gold in a common acid, it just sits there and doesn't do anything.... now tell us why, just to prove you have understood what has been said.

http://www.finishing.com/276/43.shtml

just to show i am alot more honest than you, i have no idea about the answer to why gold does nothing

oh god, you really are stupid arnt you. Where the hell in either of there posts did they mention ions? covalent vs ionic bonding? latice structures? ect ect

Yes, i have studied it alot higher than you would have. i did biochem as part of my degree and as salts are VERY important to the body it was an area we had to study in detail. To be honest, i pitty you, you oviously never understood science did you. To me thats quite sad concidering both my parents have science degrees, my sister has a physio degree and im studying paramedics which comes under the medical sciences. science is both facinating and important and you oviously missed out on that.

ions??? What are you talking about?? And what's with all the insults? Grow up already, quit with the temper tantrums, and stick to the topic. :rolleyes:

so, what about that sea salt with no iodine you mentioned and how the majority of people don't use iodized salt.

oh and BTW, on iron salts...

...just to show i am alot more honest than you, i have no idea about the answer to why gold does nothing

so iron itself isn't a salt. I didn't think so.

And are you calling me a liar due to a lack of salt education??? That's just silly! LOL

And seriously, iron is salt? That's the limb you are going out on??

Just to clarify, he didn't say iron was a salt - but that it can for salts. Many on them in fact, including chloride, chlorate, sulfate, sulfite (which is commonly known as 'fools gold'), sulfide, fluoride and about a dozen or more others. (Those were just off the top of my head.)

To Asguard: You mentioned many are necessary for the body to function - and that's very true. Though we generally don't refer to them as 'salts' in that particular case but rather as 'electrolytes.'

Just to clarify, he didn't say iron was a salt - but that it can for salts. Many on them in fact, including chloride, chlorate, sulfate, sulfite (which is commonly known as 'fools gold'), sulfide, fluoride and about a dozen or more others. (Those were just off the top of my head.)...'

ah yes, iron chloride. I see that now. Thanks for explaining Read-Only. :)

seems we need to go back to basics

Sodium is not a salt, its a metal. So is potassium, iron ect

Chloride is not a salt, its a non metalic element as is iodine ect

When you combine a metal (potassium, sodium, iron ect) with an acid (for instance hydrochloric acid) you get a salt. If its hydrochloric acid you use what you get is a chloride salt.

So that would be SODIUM chloride, POTSASIUM chloride, Iron Chloride

there for postasium chloride is NOT a "fake salt", any more than bicarb is a fake salt. its just not table salt (sodium chloride).

Just to clarify, he didn't say iron was a salt - but that it can for salts. Many on them in fact, including chloride, chlorate, sulfate, sulfite (which is commonly known as 'fools gold'), sulfide, fluoride and about a dozen or more others. (Those were just off the top of my head.)

To Asguard: You mentioned many are necessary for the body to function - and that's very true. Though we generally don't refer to them as 'salts' in that particular case but rather as 'electrolytes.'

i know but i was trying to keep it simple. If i mixed electrolytes in it would be even more confusing concidering we were talking about salts. I mean i could have called sodium chloride, saline (which it is once water is added) but that would have been even more confusing if you dont already know that saline is a solution of sodium chloride

wow, you really like to show your own idiocy dont you? can you actually read a statment longer than 5 words?

Concidering you highlighted ONE part of that quote and ignored the rest? I never said all salt sold was sea salt, i said (and you quoted it)

"no sea salt has iodine and only 1 table salt did"

did you get the last 4 words this time?
Now would you like to know what the biggest seller off that shelf is? (i know dam well because i am constantly refilling the stupid thing)

Home brand table salt 500g packet. You know which one i fill only every month? Iodised salt (ie the salt containing pottassium iodine).

Mod note: Please remain civil. There is no need to degenerate into insults.

..."no sea salt has iodine and only 1 table salt did"

did you get the last 4 words this time?
Now would you like to know what the biggest seller off that shelf is? (i know dam well because i am constantly refilling the stupid thing)

Home brand table salt 500g packet. You know which one i fill only every month? Iodised salt (ie the salt containing pottassium iodine).

This sea salt has iodine.
yhst-19240196517428_2015_22389134

So no, I don't understand you saying "no sea salt has iodine and only one table salt did". Are you saying YOUR sea salt doesn't have iodine instead of NO sea salt has iodine?

And what about the majority of people purchasing un-iodized salt? You are not the majority of people. And if you are a grocery store stock boy, I don't think what you see in your grocery store is representative of the majority of the people.

oh and BTW, on iron salts

Helen,

Iron is a metal that will react with lots of different acids to form their respective salts. The basic reaction for any metal is: Metal + acid = metal salt + hydrogen. So, if you react iron with hydrochloric acid, you will get iron chloride and hydrogen. Similarly with sulphuric acid; iron + sulphuric acid = iron sulphate + hydrogen. This fundemental equation is true for all metals as long as they are above hydrogen in the "electrochemical series"; if they are below hydrogen, the metal will not react with the acid. For instance, you now know what iron does, but if you try to dissolve gold in a common acid, it just sits there and doesn't do anything.... now tell us why, just to prove you have understood what has been said.

just to show i am alot more honest than you, i have no idea about the answer to why gold does nothing

I couldn't find Helen's original post so I quoted this from Asguar's reply to her. Actually, it has nothing to do with what's being discussed - and maybe that's why I couldn't find it - deleted perhaps?

But in any event, if anyone IS actually interested in it, myself and other lab-trained people hear could explain it.

But I will just simply say that both gold AND platinum can be dissolved by aqua regia - a red, fuming mixture of nitric and hydrochloric acids.

In the case of gold in particular, here's the reaction formula as I remember it:
Au (s) + 3 NO3- (aq) + 6 H+ (aq) → Au3+ (aq) + 3 NO2 (g) + 3 H2O (l) and

Au3+ (aq) + 4 Cl- (aq) → AuCl4- (aq).

We used it in the lab to clean out metal contaminants before preforming LC/GC analysis on certain samples.

um read only, you didnt see the source quote under the quote?
I googled "iron salt" and that was a page i found discussing it so i quoted it. Thats why there is a link under it (i dont link sciforums quotes just put the =name into the quote brackets)

um read only, you didnt see the source quote under the quote?
I googled "iron salt" and that was a page i found discussing it so i quoted it. Thats why there is a link under it (i dont link sciforums quotes just put the =name into the quote brackets)

Ah, I gotcha - thanks.;)

This sea salt has iodine.
yhst-19240196517428_2015_22389134

So no, I don't understand you saying "no sea salt has iodine and only one table salt did". Are you saying YOUR sea salt doesn't have iodine instead of NO sea salt has iodine?

And what about the majority of people purchasing un-iodized salt? You are not the majority of people. And if you are a grocery store stock boy, I don't think what you see in your grocery store is representative of the majority of the people.

orleander i have had it with you, the 1 time i asked you for YOUR source the only one you could give me was your MUM, and you have the audacity to demand peer reviewed resurch for something like THAT? I dont mind producing sources but im sick and tired of your accusations so concidering you are a disinjenuas troll i will put you on ignore. I dont actually have ANYONE on ignore because i prefer to give anyone a chance but you have had 100s. I dont know what your problem is but maybe you should pull the chip off your shoulder and the stick out of your ass. You DARE accuse me of copying from read only and idle minds and then have the audacity to dismiss my post as supusition while refusing to produce any resurch of your own. If you cant hold yourself to the same standeds you seem to expect from me then FUCK OFF. of course concidering you cant read though a 10 word quote you probably couldnt even READ a scientific resurch paper but maybe you should try rather than relying on your mother for all your sources. I mean did you even get through PRIMARY school?

Mod note: As it’s Christmas I’m going to be generous. Instead of a 3 day ban for this rude and abusive post, I’ll simply issue a warning. But, Asguard, you’ve reached the limit. Please remain civil; there is no need for insults. Further flaming will result in a suspension. You’ll be far more useful and appreciated as a teacher than some sort of self-styled prosecuting attorney.

so that would be a 'no, I have nothing to back up my majority statement' then, right.

Can a person be allergic or highly sensitive to salt?

Back