Are the effects of sodium on the human body temporary?

WillNever

Valued Senior Member
We know that sodium increases blood viscosity leading to temporarily elevated blood pressure. However, are there any known long term effects of high sodium?

sodium has a rda ond the us

in canada the level recommended is even higher

chron fatigue syndrome can be aided by increasing salt intake

iodine is also required by our bodies

edenocp so hypernatriuma doesnt exist then?
Get a clue

Will i dont know, my first guess would be minimal once the natural threshold is reached below that it would have a server impeadment to body temp because most of our heat comes from mussle movement which is triggered by sodium (so is blood movement and brain funtion). Of course calicum would be even more noticable because then none of the mussles could do anything but meh

I know you're supposed to keep it low, but I seem to actually need a lot of sodium.

I have less head rushes if I eat lots of salt.

god sake, i thought this said what effect does it have on TEMP. God i must have been tired when i read this thread.

Sam is right, renal failure and congrestive heart failure are quite common BECAUSE of the high levels of sodium in peoples diet.

i cant answer that, it could be that the help is illusionary or it could be that your naturally low in salt (or your body eliminates it to easerly). its not something i would want to comment on.

Hyponatrimia is a real condition and is quite serious, if i was you i would have a chat to your GP and see what he\she says

don't you also need salt for the added iodine so you don't get a goiter?

Goiter.jpg

don't you also need salt for the added iodine so you don't get a goiter?

Goiter.jpg

no. The majority of salt people buy isnt even idodised. It IS added to make something harmful SLIGHTLY worthwhile but concidering most people now take multivitimans there is little reason for salt. Put it this way orleander, dad has a history of heart disease in his family. There for when mum and dad started living together mum adaped every recipy she knew to remove all sodium from them. He doesnt have any problem with lack of iodine because he eats lots of natural veg (green leefy veg to be specific). If your worried your not getting enough iodine then take iodine tablets. There is no point dying from CVD just to get the iodine you could get other ways. Acute pulmonry odeama (the way congestive heart failure kills) is NOT a nice way to die.

Sodium

Sodium is an essential mineral found in every cell of the body. Unfortunately, today it is so abundant in western diets in the form of salt, and so readily absorbed, that the delicate balance between required intake and sodium overload can be quickly exceeded. Deficiencies of sodium are therefore rare - and we are far more likely to suffer the effects of overindulgence e.g. with high blood pressure. The best way to source a healthy sodium supply is to eat fresh, unprocessed foods where sodium exists in highly palatable and acceptable quantities. It is the balance between sodium and potassium that governs our body cell function and fluid balance.

Functions:

Sodium is the major mineral in the fluids surrounding the body's cells. Like potassium, it maintains the correct water balance in and around our cells. It also regulates blood volume and blood pressure and controls muscle contraction and relaxation.

Deficiencies:

As sodium is mostly sourced from salt, the major problem is not of too little, but too much. (See Salt)

Sources:

Sodium is best sourced from those foods where it occurs naturally, such as beetroot, carrots, celery, endive and silverbeet. Most seafood, cereals, meats and dairy products also contain sodium.
RDI:

On average, people in western countries eat 10-20 times the recommended intake of sodium, in the form of salt. The RDI is 920 - 2300mg of salt per day.

http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp/healthyliving.asp?section=nutrition&subsec=minerals&page=sodium

Salt

The two components of salt - sodium and chlorine - are both essential minerals. Despite this and the fact salt was once considered a precious commodity, today it is so readily available and a hidden ingredient in so many processed foods, that it poses a major health risk for many people. On average, we consume 10 to 20 times more salt than our bodies need. Historically the human diet was naturally low in salt. Processed foods are a relatively recent phenomenon, as are all our salt-related health problems.

At the very most, an adult needs an estimated 920 - 2300 milligrams of salt per day. An athlete involved in intense physical training may need an increased amount of salt. A child only needs up to 1730mg of sodium per day.

From an early age, many Australians eat so much salt in the form of highly salted processed foods, fast foods, snack foods and during cooking, that by the time we pick up the salt shaker on the table, we have already consumed far more salt than our bodies need.

When excessive sodium is consumed your body may hold back some of the water it would otherwise be excreting through the kidneys as urine. This is what we commonly know as 'fluid retention' and this process can contribute towards the onset of high blood pressure and the risk of stroke.

Another effect of an excessive sodium intake is that it can increase the tendency of our blood to clot - another factor contributing to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, especially stroke.

You can better balance the sodium level in your bodies by eating foods rich in potassium. Vegetables and fruits are high in potassium. Potassium and sodium need to be in balanced proportions in our bodies.

How do you cut back on salt?

If you suddenly stopped eating salt and eliminated salty foods entirely from your diet, your body would crave it badly. But the truth is much of the salt we add is just out of habit. Salt is in fact, a learned taste. If your taste buds had never been exposed to salt you probably would not like the taste initially. Studies suggest that babies prefer their vegetables without salt. Equally, you will find if you cut back on your salt intake, and do it gradually your tastebuds will adapt and will gradually stop wanting the salty flavour. It won't happen instantly - but over about two months of gradual salt reduction, you will start to find the foods you once craved will taste unpleasantly salty and you'll be on your way to reducing your risk of heart disease.

Easy ways to reduce your salt intake:
Before adding salt to your meal at the table remember to taste the food first and then decide if you really need to add more salt.

Reduce the amount you add in cooking bit by bit, and try adding extra flavour with herbs, spices and perhaps a little wine in cooking (e.g. in casseroles etc).

In the supermarket look for low or no salt options such as the 'no-added-salt' versions of canned tomatoes.

Don't be deceived by labels on food products that say 'salt-reduced'. This wording will mean that the salt-reduced product has less salt than the usual product but it does not mean 'no salt'. This is especially true with salt-reduced sauces e.g. soy sauce where the salt-reduced version is about 50% lower salt than the usual product but it is still a high salt food.
Within the five food groups, there are both higher and lower salt choices:

VEGETABLES, LEGUMES: Eat fresh vegetables whenever possible; they have more flavour, no preservatives, no additives and no artificial salt. As for canned vegetables, opt for the salt reduced or no added salt versions. Many vegetables offer the benefit of also being high in potassium, which will help with maintaining the correct sodium salt balance in your body.

BREADS, CEREALS, RICE, PASTA, NOODLES: Many breads, breakfast cereals and crispbreads are high in salt. Start reading the labels and choose products with less sodium. Incredibly, just one small bowl of breakfast cereal can be loaded with more than 170 mg of sodium and a slice of bread about 150mg of sodium. Choose carefully and you'll discover other brands with only 3 mg of sodium per serve. Rolled oats, rice, pasta and noodles (without the seasoning sachet) are naturally low salt foods.

MILK, YOGHURT, CHEESE: Milk naturally contains some sodium, but cheese has extra added, so be moderate in your intake of hard cheeses. To reduce sodium, make milk or yoghurt your first choice.

MEAT, FISH, POULTRY, EGGS, NUTS, LEGUMES: Fresh 'meats', seafood, dry legumes, eggs and nuts are naturally low in sodium, but most deli, processed and canned 'meats' (such as ham, bacon, salami) are packed full of extra sodium. Choose fresh butcher 'meats' and seafood, unsalted nuts and dry legumes for the lowest sodium intake. Choose the low salt version of canned beans and canned fish, or better still, cook your own fresh (and go easy on the salt.). Use herbs, spices, good low salt stocks (preferably homemade) and perhaps a little wine to add flavour.
http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp/healthyliving.asp?section=food&subsec=limit&page=salt

Iodine plays an important role in regulating the body's thyroid gland and thus, the body's production of energy, assists in encouraging metabolism, and helps the body burn excess fat. Travellers to remote areas often add iodine to local water supplies to remove impurities and make it safe for drinking.

Functions:

Iodine is needed to help form thyroid hormone, which controls the body's rate of metabolism.

Deficiencies:

A lack of iodine leads to goitre, recognisable as a visible lump in the neck. Iodine deficiency in pregnancy can lead to developmental problems with children. Iodine is toxic in large doses so it is best to obtain the small quantities of iodine needed from the food we eat.

Sources:

It is best obtained from seafood (it is especially high in seaweed), vegetable, dairy products and mushrooms. If you're feeling really herbiverous, iodine can also be obtained from Irish moss grown in iodine rich soils. Much simpler is to buy iodised salt. The iodine content of vegetables and grains is affected by the iodine content of the soil where they are grown. Mountainous areas (e.g. in Tasmania) are known to have soils low in iodine.

Interestingly:

Seaweed has been recorded as a treatment for goitre in China as far back as 4000 years ago.

RDI:

Adults: 120-150 mcg.

http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp/healthyliving.asp?section=nutrition&subsec=minerals&pg=iodine

As you can see there are better ways to get iodine

Source:http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp/content.asp?cmd=aboutus

so you don't need iodine to stave off a goiter?
And what do you mean the majority of salt people buy doesn't have iodine? How do you know that?

because i checked it, all ingrediants are required to be listed on the back of a product here and no sea salt has iodine and only 1 table salt did (it was actually sold as iodised salt)

Personally i do use salt in cooking, i buy POTASSIUM salt because thats the mineral we (as a sociaty) tend to be deficent in. as you can see by my last post we eat 10-20 times the RDI for sodium so its no wonder that CVD, stroke, renal faliure and the other effects of hypernatriumia are so common

At this point we shpuld bear in mind that people are different and have different requirements. Just as some people are allergic to one thing and another is not. We can say 'this happened due to..' but that is just looking for the magic bullet that often times doesnt exist.

IodizedPlain_Salt.jpg

Asguard, this is the salt I buy and there is Potassium Iodide in it.

... all ingrediants are required to be listed on the back of a product here and no sea salt has iodine and only 1 table salt did (it was actually sold as iodised salt)

Personally i do use salt in cooking, i buy POTASSIUM salt because thats the mineral we (as a sociaty) tend to be deficent in. ...

What exactly is potassium salt? Is that fake salt with no actual salt in it?

Why are you assuming everyone on the planet uses sea salt with no iodine added? Here is some

yhst-19240196517428_2015_22389134

There are lots of different kinds of "salts," which is a generic classification. There is table salt, which is what most people refer to as "salt." That is sodium chloride. There is potassium chloride, potassium iodide, magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), etc.

There are lots of different kinds of "salts," which is a generic classification. There is table salt, which is what most people refer to as "salt." That is sodium chloride. There is potassium chloride, potassium iodide, magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), etc.

I think anyone here with even a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry is aware of that. But if you'll notice the title of the thread, you'll see that this is all about sodium (chloride) - along with the introduction of potassium which Asguard made. And even that was a bit off-topic. No need to discuss any other salts here.

IodizedPlain_Salt.jpg

Asguard, this is the salt I buy and there is Potassium Iodide in it.

What exactly is potassium salt? Is that fake salt with no actual salt in it?

Why are you assuming everyone on the planet uses sea salt with no iodine added? Here is some

yhst-19240196517428_2015_22389134

fake how?
Fake as in its not sodium chloride?
Then yes its "fake" salt, its potassium chloride not sodium chloride
Or fake as in its not a salt?
If this then you need to redo high school chem because as Idle minds and read only said there are many types of "salts". In fact, iron can be a salt (not sure off the top of my head if iron chloride would be possable but there are lots of other non metalic elements which can make salts)

A salt is the product of the netralisation of an acid and a base, it is made up of a positive metalic ion (- ion) and a non metalic ion (+ ion), aranged in a latice structure so that a - is always furthest away from another - and clostest to a +. When disolved these 2 types of ions seperate into a free floating solution which conducts an electrical current (very important in the body i might add)

Back