Are humans still evolving?

Those skulls are formed that way from birth through the use of wooden planks tied to the head. But, I think you are correct in that we will evolve mentally. Perhaps quantuum theory is correct in assuming a relationship between which reality occurs and our perceptions. One scientist that I heard about (I'll try to find better documentation), postulated that the mind actually sends perceptions back in time, so that you perceive it exactly when they occur.

c7ityi_ said:
All different human races will melt into one single human race and our head will become big and elongated again:

But mostly we will evolve mentally.

It's already happing:

drugsrbad.jpg

spidergoat said:
One scientist that I heard about (I'll try to find better documentation), postulated that the mind actually sends perceptions back in time, so that you perceive it exactly when they occur.

Just goes to show that scientists can be dumbasses too!

Don't be so sure of that, it was measured directly by electrodes in the brain. There are also certain quantuum effects where the cause is in the future, and the effect in the past.

spidergoat said:
Those skulls are formed that way from birth through the use of wooden planks tied to the head.

yeah, i've heard that. but is there any proof of that or is it only a theory?

long ago, there were people who naturally had heads like that. for example, the statues of the daughters of akhenaten are depicted with elongated heads. and that's why they had such high hats in ancient egypt. then it's possible that primitive people wanted to imitate them using some cruel strange method.

my point is that i think we will evolve that kind of head in the future. not sure why i'm so sure about that...

Considering I can't get laid even though I'm desperate I'd say yes they are, woman can see I'm a loser an so keep from mating with me :p

Geographic isolation is one of the traditional mechanisms invoked for triggering the rise of new species; some experts therefore flatly say that human evolution has ended because in the modern world, no one is really isolated from the rest of humanity. And depending on how it might be applied, culture and technology could either isolate some people from others, or it could help to renormalize them to the rest

Humans haven't really changed the rules of natural selection. We might think that because we have culture--and with it all kinds of medical interventions and technologies--that we are immune from natural selection, but nature proceeds as usual. Evolution is defined as a change in gene frequencies over time, which means that over generations, there will be changes in the gene pool, and humans experience those changes as much as any other organism. Some people live and some people die, and some people pass on more genes than others. Therefore, there is a change in the human gene pool over time.
"But we might suggest that with all that cultural and technological intervention that there would be some kind of influence in the composition of the gene pool, and there is. Take smallpox, for an example. Years ago millions of people died from smallpox, and their genes were not passed on because many of them died before reproductive age. The human gene pool was then missing the genes of those people. But now, since smallpox has been wiped off the planet, people who normally died of the disease now live, probably have children, and thus contribute to the human gene pool. In another example, the birth rate always goes down the more developed, and economically affluent, countries become. Today the highest birth rates are in Latin America, Africa and Asia. People in these places are now the major contributors to the human gene pool. In many generations, the human species will be more composed of genes from those groups than from developed countries.

And so culture, development and medicine might change the tenor of the human gene pool, but they do not take away the force of evolution, the force of change. Also, keep in mind that culture may not seem a 'natural' force, but because it is part of our environment, it is just as natural as disease, weather or food resources. We in developed nations may think we are immune from natural selection because we are so surrounded by material goods and high technology, but this immunity is an illusion. Technology protects us from nothing, and medicine surely hasn't cured all the diseases--just ask the people in Nebraska near the Red River what they think!

Prince James said:
Countries with the smartest people on average generally have exist on the lower-end of the reproductive spectrum, leading to the potential that our overall human intelligence will suffer immensely in future centuries.

That's such a misguided, bullshit, pseudo-intellectual and common response.

Having smarter offspring requires longer child rearing periods. Imagine trying to put eight kids through college. Difficult, to say the least. It may be more beneficial to have a couple children and put a very high level of energy (ie, money) into them to guarantee their success.

Most animals with big brains are k-selected like this. Elephants, dolphins, apes, all highly intelligent creatures that invest a great deal of energy into a few offspring, rather than have many unintelligent offspring.

spidergoat said:
One scientist that I heard about (I'll try to find better documentation), postulated that the mind actually sends perceptions back in time, so that you perceive it exactly when they occur.

If it was a biologist I am almost certain that it was a misunderstanding (or at least put into the wrong context). What is true, however is that the brain backdates perceptions. If something hits your shin for example the stimulus (in form of action potentials) has to travel up your spine to your brain which takes roughly half a second (fastest neuron speed was around 100 m/s, if I recall correctly). However when asked when you perceived the stimulus you will recall it as happening about the time you hurt yourself, without the delay. In other words the brain negates the delay caused by the transmission of the stimulus.
It is basically in the wiring. No need for quantum effects at this point. Sorry.

I think humans will continue to evolve. Most likely get bigger penis's because theres way too much sex going around. Also because the food has alot of bad chemicals and toxins that causes bad effects later on, its most likely our bodies will make or midy a organ to be better at cleaning up our bodies and food when we eat. Also our brains will get bigger or at least more powerful later on because of education

I mean, since we have adpated our environment so much to suit our needs, is there any reason for humans to adapt?

Yup we are still into the evolution game...for instance...a small but important detail. The thumbs of the 'computergeneration' are much more evolved than our grandparents thumbs. That is because we use our thumbs much more then 50 years ago...we textmessage on cells, scroll on Ipods, hit keybords...

Yup we are still into the evolution game...for instance...a small but important detail. The thumbs of the 'computergeneration' are much more evolved than our grandparents thumbs. That is because we use our thumbs much more then 50 years ago...we textmessage on cells, scroll on Ipods, hit keybords...

jesus...a bit lamarckian isn't it?

Back