Are humans still evolving?

Nickelodeon

Banned
Banned
I mean, since we have adpated our environment so much to suit our needs, is there any reason for humans to adapt?

Considering many species on this planet have reached states of relative equillibrium for tens of millions of years (sharks, for instance) it is very possible that humans will not significantly evolve further, specifically if enviromental constraints are not a strong enough factor in future generations. However, should humanity ever colonize space, it seems likely that divergent populations will speciate eventually or otherwise show dramatic changes in localized populations, primarily observed as new races and secondarily observed as sub-species.

It is most likely brain size shall continue to increase, though, but not if smart people are not prone to reproduction. Countries with the smartest people on average generally have exist on the lower-end of the reproductive spectrum, leading to the potential that our overall human intelligence will suffer immensely in future centuries.

Humans control their own evolution with their minds, just like all the other animals. Sharks havent evolved further because their consciousness is not expanded enough to the point where it can direct its own evolution. We are not like sharks, we have self awareness, and some of us actually know what DNA is and do control evolution, so at this point our evolution is ours to control or end.

Culture is an aspect of evolution.

Environmental contraints will only increase, due to human activity.

Nickelodeon said:
I mean, since we have adpated our environment so much to suit our needs, is there any reason for humans to adapt?

We can only adapt our environment to a point, and who can say what will happen to this planet in the next few thousands or millions of years?

The majority of the effects of deliberate environmental control are unintended and unanticipated. This, then, is rich ground for natural selection to work in. Consequently, human evolution is continuing and will continue.

Spidergoat importantly notes the significance of culture. It is arguable that cultural evolution represents a qualitatively different form of evolution, operating through memes rather than genes, and being distinctly Lamarkian in character.

We take heroic measures and devote massive resources to saving individuals with genes that give them a tremendous survival disadvantage. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Occasionally it yields a Stephen Hawking, who perhaps has advanced science enough to counteract the effect of an "unculled herd," as it were.

I don't think we need the average IQ of the species to continue to rise. There is not enough work of that exalted variety to keep them all busy. Most of the work of the world can be done by average people and a lot of it can be done by below-average people.

I suppose the problem is that they start electing one of their own as President. Having a Rhodes Scholar in office was just too much for them to handle.

One third of all humans are now overweight - fat. We will/must evolve features to cope with this. (I am only posting this to see what comments follow).

The distribution of genes is surely changing, and massively. That means that we are evolving.

The differentation of species is something else entirely. Will we ever turn into something that would not be able to have viable offspring with ourselves? I doubt it. That would take millions of years or very rapid changes in our environment. Even then, we would only be a different species compared to our present selves, we would still be a single species at any point in time (barring settlement on other planets).

See, these are two different things. Evolving doesn't mean that we become something very different from what we already are. It can mean that there are more blue-eyed people on the planet, because we sexually favor that allele. It can be the fact that the reduction of malaria in the Americas, makes the sickling of red blood cells a detriment for black Americans, so it lessens in its expression. The simple fact that long-isolated populations are now interbreeding means that we are evolving, and rapidly by any honest examination.

The major thing that will keep this from leading to a new species is the fact that we can modify our environment to a large degree, rather than having to allow mutation and natural selection to work its slow magic on us.

swivel said:
The distribution of genes is surely changing, and massively. That means that we are evolving.

The differentation of species is something else entirely. Will we ever turn into something that would not be able to have viable offspring with ourselves? I doubt it. That would take millions of years or very rapid changes in our environment. Even then, we would only be a different species compared to our present selves, we would still be a single species at any point in time (barring settlement on other planets).

See, these are two different things. Evolving doesn't mean that we become something very different from what we already are. It can mean that there are more blue-eyed people on the planet, because we sexually favor that allele. It can be the fact that the reduction of malaria in the Americas, makes the sickling of red blood cells a detriment for black Americans, so it lessens in its expression. The simple fact that long-isolated populations are now interbreeding means that we are evolving, and rapidly by any honest examination.

The major thing that will keep this from leading to a new species is the fact that we can modify our environment to a large degree, rather than having to allow mutation and natural selection to work its slow magic on us.

Anybody know if they have some Neanderthal genes? If you do, then start going to some of your local 'club' meetings. Lot's of social activities to look forward too, bolder rolling, cave painting and of course my most favorite, bison hunting.:D

In a hundred years maybe everybody will look like each other because the genes will be somewhat evenly ditributed.

...like with Dogs?

Valich, I think you're right, we will have to adapt to the easy availability of calories.

evolve.gif

spidergoat said:
...like with Dogs?

Valich, I think you're right, we will have to adapt to the easy availability of calories.

That's probably DEvolution in that case.

I think humans stopped evolving once natural selection stopped killing the weak. We're gonna have to start advocating eugenics soon, for the good of the human race :rolleyes: .

Are we not men?
Seriously, natural selection is only one factor in evolution. Besides, the unfit still die, or reproduce less, it is cumulative. The last 2,000 years have been marked by a rise of civilizations but that is a short time on a geologic scale.

Sgal said:
In a hundred years maybe everybody will look like each other because the genes will be somewhat evenly ditributed.

Unlikely, due to random mutation, and other factors.

Sgal said:

In 100 years? After 5 more mating cycles? :bugeye:

Back