Are happiness and morality mutually exclusive?

You are barring yourself from submitting to human nature.

What exactly is "human nature"? And how could that be recognized?

Humans are naturally violent.

Sure, sometimes.
But not always.

But the point is, you may often be tempted to do something against your morals, and it may frustrate you, but after getting past it you'll be glad you held to your morals.

:confused:
You contradict yourself.
You said earlier -
You are barring yourself from submitting to human nature.
Which seems to suggest that all that is necessary for happiness is to submit to human nature, instead of maintaining morals that go against that nature.

If human nature is indeed violent, then such qualms about what is moral and what isn't wouldn't exist or matter, no?

Happiness does not just happen. One thinks "I like that" or one thinks "I dont like that."
And thought has made up both. Happiness or pleasure has come through way of thought. So you have made happiness a thing of thought.

Morality is also an idea. A decision is made on what rules to follow.

Happiness does not just happen.
Not?
My you've had a strange life.
Happiness is a result of something.
You have a satisfying meal and a bottle of wine with your partner in a good restaurant - you feel happy because of those things - they engender that emotion in you. Of course it could have turned out to be crappy night even though the original concept was exactly the same).
And maybe next time you think about repeating the process, but it's still the result of circumstances.
Or you just happen to be in the right spot as the sun comes up on a gorgeous day - and you're happy. How as that anything to do with a thought?
You are happy first, and then you realise it and analyse why.

Morality is also an idea. A decision is made on what rules to follow.
Nope: the concept of morality is an idea, and the formulation of a morality is an idea (or thought). But whether or not you actually are moral depends upon your conduct.
You can't just keep the idea in mind while behaving immorally and claim to be moral.
It requires more than thought.

Back