Are atheists better people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collectively, the less religion plays in a society the better. Fundamentalists of developed and undeveloped societies don't appear to handle conflict in a sensible manner.

Fundamentalists aren't able to tolerate anybody with different lifestyles whereas secularism encourages it. Basically left wing ways of dealing with conflict and local social ales tend to be the ways of secular societies, and they get along just fine and perform better socially. The religious tend to be on the right. The American right wing is frightening to the rest of the world, especially if you are a Muslim. With Muslims, even moderates tend to be right wing.

"Fundamentalists aren't able to tolerate anybody with different lifestyles."

So is an intolerant atheist also a fundamentalist?

Only if you count communism which is a dictatorship anyway. I dont think there is a problem with atheist fundamentalism in secular societies unless you could prove me wrong.

How about when ideological fundamentalism causes oppression?

Saloth Sar (May 19, 1925 – April 15, 1998), better known as Pol Pot, was the ruler of the Khmer Rouge and the Prime Minister of Cambodia (officially Democratic Kampuchea during his rule) from 1976 to 1979, having been de facto leader since mid-1975. During his time in power Pol Pot instigated an aggressive policy of relocating people to the countryside in an attempt to purify the Cambodian people as a step toward a communist future.

Are Stalin, Lenin, and Mao better people? Hahaha

When will you fools realize that what makes you better person has little to do with whether you're atheists or not

tor said:
Atheists
1)Atheists are good without the 'fear' of God's wrath, so does that make them genuinely good as oppose to 'forced to be good'?

2) Are atheists less likely to be bound by 'law' and normal cultural conventions in the absence of their ability to be 'influenced' or 'controlled'?
May they be thus more anti convention, rebellious ...anarchists?

3)Is the fact their moral code is self determined mean it is stronger and less likely to deviate than that of a theist who has been indoctrinated with fear based goodness?

Theists
4) Are theists as result of their early compliance with 'rules' more susceptible in general to other forms of law abiding or worse manipulation?
1, 3, and 4. are correct, number 2 is just plain rubbish.
I've a religious brother who often says if it was'nt for his fear in god he could kill someone.
I could'nt kill anyone, and I have no fear in a god.

perplexity said:
Belief is voluntary, is it not?
it should be, but most are indoctrinated.

samcdkey said:
So is an intolerant atheist also a fundamentalist?
if it was at all possible to find anybody like that, then I would say yes but it is'nt.
and please understand that not all non/unbelievers are atheist.
also a person with bipolar disorder, that knows of no gods, can move around in society quite easily, and no one would be the wiser.
many a despot has been a lunatic.

"a person with bipolar disorder, that knows of no gods, can move around in society quite easily, and no one would be the wiser.
many a despot has been a lunatic. "

Would this also apply to religious fanatics?

How about when ideological fundamentalism causes oppression?

Any ideology could cause oppression. Since religion is an ideology this is included.

A secular democracy does a good job at keeping internal opressive ideologies at bay though, and is better at dealing with external oppressive ideologies since it has none of it's own.

This is why extremist Islam is at conflict with Christian American values.

Secularism and democracy are also ideologies.

The US is right now "spreading democracy" in the ME.

A fundamentalist Christian supported mostly by the religious right is "spreading democracy".

Whatever democracy America claims to be, it certainly isn't a secular one.

samcdkey said:
Would this also apply to religious fanatics?
of course, what do you think the religious suffer with.

quote "people with bipolar disorder may have symptoms that overwhelm their ability to deal with reality. This inability to distinguish reality from unreality results in psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices, paranoia, visual hallucinations, and false beliefs of special powers or identity."

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/bipolar/?gclid=CIjL3cfz5oYCFQkkQgodWwIrAQ

the aledged prophets, were most likely suffering from this.

fahrenheit 451 said:
of course, what do you think the religious suffer with.

quote "people with bipolar disorder may have symptoms that overwhelm their ability to deal with reality. This inability to distinguish reality from unreality results in psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices, paranoia, visual hallucinations, and false beliefs of special powers or identity."

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/bipolar/?gclid=CIjL3cfz5oYCFQkkQgodWwIrAQ

the aledged prophets, were most likely suffering from this.

Oh and you have evidence that the aledged [sic] prophets were suffering from bipolar disorder? Or is this your belief? :p

Theoryofrelativity:
I agree with many of your points.That's the reason I now consider myself more spiritual in nature rather than subscribing to any one religion.Although I do find the spiritual teachings of the ancient egyptians appealing. I also admire the balance between male,female in their belief system as opposed to the strict concept of God being a male(usually angry,jealous,hate filled) figure.
Too much religous dogma and the usual "He(god) wants this ,he wants that,etc. Seems like it's already put the world thru enough hell!

I think most people can determine the difference between right action and wrong ones,whether atheist or not.People who feel they have to do good based on the fear factor--well, the actions are not really heartfelt..at least thats my take on it.
I know many atheists who appear to live a good life and conduct themselves with a good moral code...seems to work for them.Guess it depends on the person.

samcdkey said:
Oh what about the UK support for the US-Israel war in Lebanon?

I don't think most people in the UK support the US-Israel war in Lebanon, even the government spoke out against it. I'm almost certain that the majority of the UK public were also against the war in Iraq (for various reasons).

Yes but unfortunately governemnt policy becomes representative of the people, whether they like it or not.

KennyJC said:
Yes, I seem to remember a suicide bomber saying that to justify his actions.

Israesl is bombing innocents for the same reason

I presume the logic is thus:

The people keep those who are in power in power, thus if you cause damage to the people then they will themselves damage the 'power' by withdrawing their support.

Does Hezbollah still have support of the lebonese people?

samcdkey said:
Oh and you have evidence that the aledged [sic] prophets were suffering from bipolar disorder? Or is this your belief? :p
I did not say I had evidence, I said it was most likely, given that they had all the symptom's.
IE: "people with bipolar disorder may have symptoms that overwhelm their ability to deal with reality. This inability to distinguish reality from unreality results in psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices, paranoia, visual hallucinations, and false beliefs of special powers or identity."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back