Archbishop says Nativity Story fictional

John, why do you feel the need to have to believe in something? You appear to have this need to believe in something. Why is that? Don't you think you are strong enough to face life as a mortal and a man? Why this need for a supernatural being who watches over you and care for you after you die?

Is it fear that drives your need (and those of others) to believe in something?

I am just curious.

It really has nothing to do with thing you said, but it is relly not for me to say.

Wleyuti tán tel-wltáq
Kisi-wsîtawíik
Néwt keskaiap, Niké wéjíimk
Nekapikwaiap niké welapi

Wleyuti kisi-kinámatk nkamlamun
Aq pa kisiknewálik
Ankmayiw ikáq wleyuti
Teli-nqasék ketlamsîtm

Tán tetuji-wltáq Sésus wtuisunm
Wjit ketlamsvtmútitéwk
Wnmajótíl, jileiwaqnn aq kwetaiwekl
Kaqi-ksikásikl

Wleyuti tán tel-wltáq
Kisi-wsîtawíik, Néwt keskaiap
Niké wéjíimk
Nekapikwaiap niké welapi

Wleyuti tán tel-wltáq
Kisi-wsîtawíik
Néwt keskaiap, Niké wéjíimk
Nekapikwaiap niké welapi

Wleyuti kisi-kinámatk nkamlamun
Aq pa kisiknewálik
Ankmayiw ikáq wleyuti
Teli-nqasék ketlamsîtm

Tán tetuji-wltáq Sésus wtuisunm
Wjit ketlamsvtmútitéwk
Wnmajótíl, jileiwaqnn aq kwetaiwekl
Kaqi-ksikásikl

Wleyuti tán tel-wltáq
Kisi-wsîtawíik, Néwt keskaiap
Niké wéjíimk
Nekapikwaiap niké welapi

Which is just a Micmac translation of Amazing Grace.

You're missing my point. Please review the cultures I mentioned and answer: which gods did each of these have in their traditional cultures?

Not after some were introduced to xianity by missionaries. Not after some integrated with locals. I'm talking traditional Zuni, Navajo, and Fulani cultures. Hint: one of these isn't Native American.

Why does John99 native american posts look like translations of the euro-christian equivalents? "The Lord's Prayer in Chinook" indeed...

Traditional cultures have religion because they are ignorant. Humans are inherently intelligent and curious, so they ask these questions, and culture conveniently fills in their best guess, which becomes codified into dogma.

Why does John99 native american posts look like translations of the euro-christian equivalents? "The Lord's Prayer in Chinook" indeed...

Just one, which i threw in for a ringer. There is an Aztec prayer which uses the word 'Lord' from 1500's but i have to look for it. At least that is how the American Indian site i am referencing translated it.:shrug:

What gods do the Navajo worship? The Zuni? The Fulani? Do you really want to go down that road with an anthropologist? These are just a few of the so-called primitive cultures that are extant that I'm able to think of off the top of my head. Indeed, there is evidence that most primitive cultures begin with worldviews that are without gods altogether (Bellah 1964) where there is no distinction between the sacred and the profane -where all the world and everything in it is sacred and there is no deity that is worshiped -nature itself is what is revered and held to be sacred.

Just to highlight my point that Theism has been a part of human makeup since humans first walked the Earth.

Last edited:
Athiest cultures in ancient India:
http://horizonspeaks.wordpress.com/2007/05/18/atheism-in-ancient-india/

Ancient cultures believed in all kinds of things. Classifying it all as theism is simplistic. They didn't know about alot of things, so they made up something, and they all made up something different. The myths they created must have included a powerful entity in order to explain the power of things like lightning, weather, death, mutations, etc. Can you think of a kind of myth that explained such things without a powerful entity that you could call theism? It's the default explanation. What is lighting? Lighting is a powerful, um, spirit, that appears when it gets mad. Or when God is mad He throws lightning at you. Anthropocentric explanations are more natural to a human than some dead impersonal force, which humans can't relate with.

Last edited:
Athiest cultures in ancient India:
http://horizonspeaks.wordpress.com/2007/05/18/atheism-in-ancient-india/

Ancient cultures believed in all kinds of things. Classifying it all as theism is simplistic. They didn't know about alot of things, so they made up something, and they all made up something different. The myths they created must have included a powerful entity in order to explain the power of things like lightning, weather, death, mutations, etc. Can you think of a kind of myth that explained such things without a powerful entity that you could call theism? It's the default explanation. What is lighting? Lighting is a powerful, um, spirit, that appears when it gets mad. Or when God is mad He throws lightning at you. Anthropocentric explanations are more natural to a human than some dead impersonal force, which humans can't relate with

I've always thought they were pantheists

You might want to translate that for him, [Insult Deleted

"God on our side" I made the mistake of thinking that my reference would be understood. I cannot translate your insult , because it was deleted.

Well most people will understand the reference(it's a common reference here) but obviously not everyone so it's worth explaining German phrases and such. :)
I said he might not be smart enough to figure it out. I'm not sure why it was deleted; given the content of most of his posts I think it was a fair comment. :shrug:
He was welcome to prove me wrong but appears to have vanished - I can't imagine why.:rolleyes:

Back