Any Christians/ other theists here?

Jenyar

Tiassa, reading your biography I get the impression of a whip lashing out, maybe until it hit something solid.
Perhaps, but not quite as I would imagine you're thinking. Rather, I've spent enough time around those religions that I'm familiar with their habits. Most of them I never truly believed in. The SBC, for instance, was merely a youth group I spent some time with at the request of a friend. LDS exposure has been from various directions, but I've heard the Tabernacle Choir, and been around LDS since I was 4 or 5 without ever converting.

Most religions I never got the hang of. The idea of God seems so important to so many people, but none of them understand what it is they're looking for. That's part of what I've learned bouncing around in there. I've also learned that the best weapon against nihilism is denial. Gloomy? Perhaps. But it's getting easier and easier to deal with people the more I try to understand what it is to be a human being. I couldn't have reached that notion without having bounced from idea to idea like I was playing cards.

Wiccan is the first place I ever found religion to be tied to the natural scheme in any way I can appreciate. I'm a witch by affiliation only; I haven't cast a spell in years, haven't brewed an incense or oil or potion in even longer. But I still hold by some of the basic imagery of various forms of European-descended witchcraft. Of course, I still hold some basic imagery of modernist Qabalism, and preach and seek to abide by the Wiccan Rede and the Law of Thelema. (They are synonymous to me, but that's a different argument for a different day.)

(Satanism was about what you would expect. Terribly boring and disappointing. The label does more to affect people than any ideas within the paradigm. It's kind of weird, but not really when I stop to think of TBN and 3 Angels.)

Picking of my mind can be dangerous; the blither people endure at Sciforums becomes the minimum of the output. Nonetheless, if I ever figure out how to get it all into a book, be assured that I will. It would explain so much. Well, maybe just about whatever's wrong with me ;)

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Originally posted by platzapS
I'm a theistic evolutionist. I'm a Christian, but I'm open to unorthodox ideas. I was just wondering if there were any others out there. If not Christians, are there any other theists here? Any reply would be appreciated.

I'm a theistic evolutionist and a liberal Christian. The first time I heard the term theistic evolution was from my sophomore biology teacher, and I use it often. I love it when others do, too. :p platzapS, perhaps we could discuss theology sometime, but not right now.

Back