Any atheists here who were once believers?

He's back.
72F9A1E7-0720-4D44-A8F9041958A9DA46.jpg

His wager didn't involve calling nature God.

God is beyond nature.
Super-nature is nature is defined as: (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature, not something that is beyond it's laws.

Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists.

Blaise Pascal

Sounds like common sense to me.

jan.

Sounds like common sense to me.

jan.
You would have wasted your time, and probably your life on silly religious rules. And you never know which faith is the correct one, there are thousands. It could turn out that you should have been worshiping some long forgotten Norse god or something.

You would have wasted your time, and probably your life on silly religious rules. And you never know which faith is the correct one, there are thousands. It could turn out that you should have been worshiping some long forgotten Norse god or something.

Aside from that's not how ''belief in God'' works, your statement is based on ignorance.

jan.

So, does Pascal’s Wager only favor the Christian ''concept'' of God? :confused:

I'm sorry jan, did I read that correctly?

You "don't know What is the Christian concept of God?" Seriously?

Do you know how to spell disingenuous?

I'm serious, I don't know what the Christian concept of God is.
AFAIC, God is God, and I understood ''God'' to be who the Christians believe in when they say they believe in ''God''.

jan.

I'm serious, I don't know what the Christian concept of God is.
*sigh*
Try reading a bible - they can be found in any Christian bookstore. After doing so, if you still haven't a clue as to "what the Christian concept of God is", check back and I'll be happy to help you out.

P.S. - Bibles are available in junior versions, complete with pictures. If you don't feel prepared to tackle KJV and all....

*sigh*
Try reading a bible - they can be found in any Christian bookstore. After doing so, if you still haven't a clue as to "what the Christian concept of God is", check back and I'll be happy to help you out.

P.S. - Bibles are available in junior versions, complete with pictures. If you don't feel prepared to tackle KJV and all....

Why will I find a ''Christian concept of God'' in the Bible, and just not a concept of God?

jan.

I don't know.
What is the ''Christian concept of God''?

jan.

The concept of Christianity meaning, the God of the New Testament. (as the ‘one true’ God) To be a follower of Christianity, one is required to ‘forsake’ all other ideas of God, and the God of the NT is the only ‘one, true God.’

So, when we look at Pascal’s Wager, seeing that its foundation stemmed from Christianity, one is led to believe that it only favored that idea of God. This is what it seems like, anyway.

wegs,

The concept of Christianity meaning, the God of the New Testament. (as the ‘one true’ God) To be a follower of Christianity, one is required to ‘forsake’ all other ideas of God, and the God of the NT is the only ‘one, true God.’

How is this concept of God exclusive to Christianity?

So, when we look at Pascal’s Wager, seeing that its foundation stemmed from Christianity, one is led to believe that it only favored that idea of God. This is what it seems like, anyway.

Did he specifically mention a specific God which is only believed in by Christian's in his wager?

jan.

I state here the word, ‘concept,’ but obviously people don’t worship concepts. I’m just phrasing it that way, in terms of how it can be viewed through Pascal’s Wager.

My greater point being is the Christian ‘concept’ of God what is being referred to in Pascal’s Wager? I ask because as a Christian, one believes God to be triune. Not all believers of course, believe that to be true. So, sounds to me honestly? Like Pascal’s Wager was just a way to give Christians some reassurance, and not necessarily to convert non-believers or non-Christians.

Back