Antibiodic Resistance

I have no idea how engineering the bacteria should help in any way.
But generally phage therapy has to date only limited use, due to a number of limitations. One of them, being that as replicating elements their dosage is hard to control. In any case bacteria can easily become resistant due to a number of mechanisms. These can start with the entry (in cases in which the phages absorb to receptors) down to regulatory suppression of lytic phage cycles (lysogenic phages won't kill the cell).

Antibiotics prevent those "bad" bacterial cells from forming cell walls. Because eukaryotic cells do not have a cell wall (which bacteria need), antibiotics were once seen as the saving grace because it killed bacteria without killing our body's eukaryotic cells. However, organisms have the ability to evolve (i.e. evolution) to ensure their survival. Bacteria are no different. Viral bacteria cells are developing enzymes of their own to "get around" antibiotics.

Only a limited number of antibotics (as e.g. penicillins) target the bacterial cell wall. Most antibiotics target the bacterial ribosome (which is structurally different from eukaryotic ones). In addition certain key enzymes are also targeted.

But what are "viral" bacteria??
Or do you mean resistant bacteria?

Only a limited number of antibotics (as e.g. penicillins) target the bacterial cell wall. Most antibiotics target the bacterial ribosome (which is structurally different from eukaryotic ones). In addition certain key enzymes are also targeted.

But what are "viral" bacteria??
Or do you mean resistant bacteria?

Yes, thank you for the correction! Was studying for a final as I was typing this last night and had so much Bio verbiage banging around in my head.

Thank you for the educational info, as well.

Back