Another Knife Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

CounslerCoffee

Registered Senior Member
OAKLAND -- A hunting accident in Iowa with a knife killed a 19-year-old father this week.

Allan L.B. Diggs, of Omaha, Neb., was hunting with friend Robert Henson near Oakland on Thursday when he stumbled and cut his right leg with the knife he was carrying, authorities said.
http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2004/01...e10004c6c63.txt

I for one am sick and tired of all these knife deaths. The government needs to enforce stronger knife laws.

How do you think most gun deaths happen? They don't fall onto the bullets... Now with a knife it's different, you can just fall onto a knife and die. That's a freaky thought.

Just about everyone can get a knife and use it... Even a baby. Think of what kind of damage a baby could do with a knife!

Deep Introspection

Deep Introspection

Hehe, I try to pretend I'm neutral about hunting most of the time, but when I hear a news story like this it makes me smile, just a little bit. I guess that means I'm sort of anti-hunter. I don't think it should amuse me so, but I guess deep down I really don't understand a hunters motivation and assume he must be a jerk who likes killing things. However, who am I to judge someone who derives pleasure from death? After all, didn't I just smile when I heard the hunter was killed? Perhaps down deeper than the level at which I think a hunter must be a jerk, I would secretly enjoy killing things, and am hence a hypocrite.

Either way, tripping and falling on a knife is a pretty shitty way to go. Maybe if he would have just slowed down a little it wouldn’t have happened. Then again it did say he was 19 and a father, so he probably isn’t the slowing down type.

Oh, Also your satire is inept because babies don't do damage with guns either, knives have legitimate purposes for common people, knives are involved in fewer yearly fatalities, and this particular incident was nothing but an honest accident not a homicide.

Last edited:
I for one am sick and tired of all these knife deaths.
Just how many a year nationwide?

But it's true. I once asked a police officer in Oregon why I couldn't get a state-issued permit to carry my knife concealed. Law enforcement in Oregon is more frightened of knives than guns.

• Maine, Lori. "Girl dies after getting stuck between fence and bleachers." Journal Pioneer, January 21, 2004. See http://www.journalpioneer.com/MainPage.aspx?PageType=FullStory&PartialStory=No&StoryID=8788

So should the Canadians ban bleachers or fences, Counsler?

FANTASTIC argument!!! Gee, how is it I've missed this simularity??? Oh wait, I forgot, purpose of objects is different.. Never mind.

Tiassa:
But it's true. I once asked a police officer in Oregon why I couldn't get a state-issued permit to carry my knife concealed. Law enforcement in Oregon is more frightened of knives than guns.

And I believe that. Knives are easily obtainable. I wouldn't get questioned if I bought steak knives at Wal-Mart. I could walk straight out of Wal-Mart and hold up a 7/11 (Unless the clerk has a gun).

Tiassa:
So should the Canadians ban bleachers or fences, Counsler?

No, but they should be well-regulated.

CounslerCoffee said:
And I believe that. Knives are easily obtainable. I wouldn't get questioned if I bought steak knives at Wal-Mart. I could walk straight out of Wal-Mart and hold up a 7/11 (Unless the clerk has a gun).

or unless he has a baseball bat. Or unless he is not scared of teenagers with a knife and knows some martial arts.

You can shoot someone conveniently with a gun from a distance. To use a knife it means you have to get close and personal.

or unless he has a baseball bat. Or unless he is not scared of teenagers with a knife and knows some martial arts.

You can shoot someone conveniently with a gun from a distance. To use a knife it means you have to get close and personal.

Firstly, I'm not a teenager. I finished puberty a while ago. :)

Guns aren't the only thing that can shoot from a distance. If I really wanted to kill some people, I mean really wanted to kill some people, then I could use a bow-and-arrow. You've got your knife, I've got a crossbow pointed at ya, whose gonna win? And what's the legal age limit to buy a crossbow? Here in Kentucky: none.

Now, I'm just wondering if anyone here has the demographics for the murder rate and the sale of butter knives.

how long does it take to reload a crossbow? Dou you need to get off more than one shot?

How loud is the bang of a crossbow? Possibly a gun is quite popular because it is a terror weapon. Flame, smoke and a big bang...possibly more than one big bang...and you can alternatively hit someone with a gun.

If there was the option to choose between a knife, a crossbow and a gun, one might opt for the gun instead of the others.

I'm sure we could also think of other weapons also that can be used in a crime. A sword (freely available), a pitchfork, a thumb, a foot, a pan, a piece of wood etc. etc.

Guns are probably popular in the US for these sort of crimes because they give high amounts of power and reliablity, and are readily available.

And I am sorry to hear that you are not a teenager. I can just remember your picture, or was it someone elses?

CounslerCoffee said:
Firstly, I'm not a teenager. I finished puberty a while ago. :)

Guns aren't the only thing that can shoot from a distance. If I really wanted to kill some people, I mean really wanted to kill some people, then I could use a bow-and-arrow. You've got your knife, I've got a crossbow pointed at ya, whose gonna win? And what's the legal age limit to buy a crossbow? Here in Kentucky: none.

Now, I'm just wondering if anyone here has the demographics for the murder rate and the sale of butter knives.

I can just remember your picture, or was it someone elses?

That picture is very old.

A crossbow has no loud bangs. And it is easily reloadable. The best thing that you could do is hook a knife to the end of it, that way if you miss and the guy gets really close, you can knife him.

Take away guns, and watch me buy a crossbow... I'm sure I could fit one under my coat.

CounslerCoffee said:
That picture is very old.

A crossbow has no loud bangs. And it is easily reloadable. The best thing that you could do is hook a knife to the end of it, that way if you miss and the guy gets really close, you can knife him.

Take away guns, and watch me buy a crossbow... I'm sure I could fit one under my coat.

You are looking into the matter of pursuing an efficient criminal career and give up the one at UPS? (yes, I clicked on your name)

I just can't figure out what the ethical issue is here.

Other than that, it's a benign enough diversion.

You are looking into the matter of pursuing an efficient criminal career and give up the one at UPS?

If I wanted to I could just take stuff out of the boxes.

I just can't figure out what the ethical issue is here.

Other than that, it's a benign enough diversion.

The ethical issue is weapons. Which ones shouldn't be allowed, which ones should be allowed, and which ones should be well-regulated.

CounslerCoffee said:
The ethical issue is weapons. Which ones shouldn't be allowed, which ones should be allowed, and which ones should be well-regulated.

Should words be regulated then? Since sometimes they seem to hurt and do more damage than knives.

Should words be regulated then? Since sometimes they seem to hurt and do more damage than knives.

But they are regulated, to an extent at least. When was the last time you were able to say 'Fuck' at a church, and not be thrown out? Or 'shit' in the middle of a highschool classroom? I know that I don't cuss infront of children, or call them names, because it's wrong.

I don't go to church or to high school so I don't know.

But is it a criminal act to say fuck in church?

And is it a criminal act to fire a gun in church?

But is it a criminal act to say fuck in church?

And is it a criminal act to fire a gun in church?

I'm pretty sure the latter part is illegal. (Hehe - that one really made me laugh)

It could become a criminal act if you cuss in church. All it takes is one offended person to file a law suit.

Edit: You aren't planning on going to church anytime soon, are you, Spurious?

CounslerCoffee said:
I'm pretty sure the latter part is illegal. (Hehe - that one really made me laugh)

It could become a criminal act if you cuss in church. All it takes is one offended person to file a law suit.

I'm not very well acquainted with American law, but I thought that a law suit doesn't necessarily mean that you have done something illegal, or something above the law? I thought it was something that was invented by lawyers to make more money (har har).

anyhoo...

The nasty thing about words is that everybody has access to them and maybe that is why they have to be more regulated than guns (if this is true: it is probably country dependent, since I could not easily go to a store and purchase a gun at my present location. But I am going to LA on friday and shall buy some guns and bring them home. And a bottle of dry gin).

Last edited:
CounslerCoffee said:

You've gotta' be really determined to kill someone with a butter knife. Trust me, it's hard work!

Luckily hand guns are cheap and plentiful, and hell they're acctualy designed spacificaly for killing fellow human beings! How much more convenient can it get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back