Animal rights?

Animal rights?

• Animals should have even more protection. (Please expand in post)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Animals shouldn't be hurt. (please state in post)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Animals shouldn't have protection. Other reason than below.

• Animals shouldn't have protection. I class them as things.

• Total voters

ndrs

The Anti-Cthulhu
Registered Senior Member
Really people what do you think of animal rights.
I believe as animals are not self-aware they can be classed as things. Things shouldn't have rights.

They're tasty. End of discussion.

Perhaps an exception should be made for chimps and dolphins and suchlike.

Yes.. I know.. It's just I was amused by Adam saying something like "Animals also have feelings":eek: I just want to get this public opinion.

Chimps seem to be self aware. Ditto dolphins. Just to be the devil's advocate.

Oh, and I think Animals should have plenty of rights. Except the one's that taste good.

Do you think the cute ones should be protected more? I would hate that, lambs are so cute and tasty. I love eating innocent things. :)

Originally posted by Xev
Do you think the cute ones should be protected more? I would hate that, lambs are so cute and tasty. I love eating innocent things. :)

Sheeps definitely need to be protected. Welch farmers would be too sexually deprived if they go extinct.

Protecting people with all these laws and ignoring animals is mere hypocrisy. What the hell makes us different from animals? I don't see a single fucking difference.

Well, of course, we must keep in mind that the human race is far more powerful than other species. So we naturally can dictate whatever the heck we want, which is a little sad but inevitable.

Animals are self aware, have feelings and a mental capability that greatly exceeds your pityful existence, ndrs. :rolleyes: And they should definitely get more protection. Judging from what you think of them, they are in desperat need of it too.

Oh? Beb, ya' ever met a self-aware steak.....er.....cow?
Few animals are self aware. It's one of the things that seperates a group of animals (including us) from the rest.

Animals are self aware, have feelings and a mental capability that greatly exceeds your pityful (sic) existence, ndrs.

Which animals? On what evidence do you make this assertion?

Zero:
Protecting people with all these laws and ignoring animals is mere hypocrisy. What the hell makes us different from animals? I don't see a single fucking difference.

I don't see cows creating Gothic churches.

The only thing that separates us from the animals is that we believe we are better than them.

The only thing that separates us from the animals is that we believe we are better than them.

Evidence, please.

In any case, then, they eat other animals. Man is an animal like any other. So why not do the same?

Gosh.. Feeling sorry for animals is even worse than slave morality. :)
Bebelina: the fact that I can ask myself the question means that I am self-aware. You said that animals self-aware, so why doesn't the lion ask itself the question? Because he is usually hungry? :)
Now tell me Bebelina, why does it make you a better person to feel sorry for animals?

Okey-dokey, Beb. I hate to sound redundant and all (seeing as how I ask you this everytime we talk), but......
Any proof? Do you have any evidence that all animals are self-aware? Or is this more wishy-washy, new-age bullsmack?

And what, to you, is self-awareness?
"Animals are self aware, have feelings and a mental capability that greatly exceeds your pityful existence" - Bebelina
All animals have emotions? What evidence do you have of that? We have crickets in my house (which are fed to my dad's gecko) and I'd like to know exactly how you can prove they experience emotions? It seems to me they're rather emotionless. They spend every minute together then when one of them dies do you know what they do? They eat him. Seems to me most beings with emotions would tend to feel something when their life-long companion dies. And that feeling wouldn't really involve the desire to chomp him up. Furthermore, my crickets have mental capabilities beyond humans? Well, I understand that you (being the close-minded fool you are on some topics) are offended by the fact that ndrs has a different opinion than you, so I assume this was a joke.

It's this simple:

Humans are animals, in which case why shouldn't we do as they do and eat other animals.

Humans are better than other animals, in which case why should we care about them?

The relevant question in animal rights, as Jeremy Bentham pointed out, is not "are they intelligent?", but "can they suffer?" Clearly they can, and do.

Animals need more rights. We need to expand our moral circle as human beings. We have already expanded the tribe to the nation. We now value the rights of women as well as men. We protect the rights of some minorities now, where we didn't before. Animals are next on the list, as soon as people start to develop a greater moral sense.

<b>Xev:</b>

<i>Humans are animals, in which case why shouldn't we do as they do and eat other animals.</i>

Because it causes unnecessary suffering on a huge scale.

<i>Humans are better than other animals, in which case why should we care about them?</i>

You haven't even thought about this, have you? Humans are better than animals ... why, exactly? Humans <b>are</b> animals, Xev.

Back