Angola Prison Rodeo, inhuman or not?

Well, the more cases you object to is just that much more money the taxpayer will have to hand out.

And I have to ask you this: Why do you want people like that? What good are those people to any society? Do you think any society on Earth would accept such people with open, loving arms?

Baron Max

I don't want these people at all. I am objecting to capital punishment because of the possibility of innocent people being executed.

I am objecting to capital punishment because of the possibility of innocent people being executed.

Do you object in the same way allowing people to drive cars on the streets and roadways? You see, there are far, far more innocent people killed in car accidents than are executed for crimes.

There are going to be mistakes, just like in allowing people to drive cars. But the innocent deaths in car accidents aren't enough to outlaw driving. The same odds should be acceptable in the death penalty cases. Otherwise, you're punishing all of the taxpayers for all of the crimes committed ...you're forcing the taxpayer to foot the bill for the prisons. and it's a lot of money!

Baron Max

Do you object in the same way allowing people to drive cars on the streets and roadways? You see, there are far, far more innocent people killed in car accidents than are executed for crimes.

There are going to be mistakes, just like in allowing people to drive cars. But the innocent deaths in car accidents aren't enough to outlaw driving. The same odds should be acceptable in the death penalty cases. Otherwise, you're punishing all of the taxpayers for all of the crimes committed ...you're forcing the taxpayer to foot the bill for the prisons. and it's a lot of money!

Baron Max

Nonsense analogy.

Nonsense analogy.

So all that means is that you can accept accidental deaths in car accidents, but you can't accept accidental deaths in death penalty cases? ..even tho' there are tens of thousands more car accidental deaths?

Baron Max

I always thought that going to prison was meant to be where you don't have fun or enjoyment but are there to do hard time for crimes you have commited against others. Prisoners should only be given time to excercise at specfic times of the day then back into their cells for the remainder of time. Giving prisoners any type of recreation only shows who is running the prison system.
I disagree, prison should be about keeping convicts away from decent society, not punishing them.
It's not their fault they can't control their urges (or that they have bad urges in the first place), it's just unlucky, they're just an unfortunate product of nature. They didn't design themselves from scratch, they were born as a blue print and arranged by their life experience, the result turned out to a fucked up person who desires to do bad things, and is inclined to make the bad decision of fullfilling those desires.
I mean, what an unlucky motherfucker, compared to faggot ass Tony Romo who was born and raised to be a multi-millionaire quarterback in the nfl with perfect teeth and a good heart and a good work ethic and solid morals and a popstar girlfriend who gargles his nuts every morning, etc.
All that fell into place for him because of the person he was born and raised to be.
The exact same thing landed some other poor motherfucker in a cage for the entirety of the one life he has on this god forsaken planet. You want to deprave him of hurting himself on a bull? I'd rather inject Tony Romo with AIDs.

So all that means is that you can accept accidental deaths in car accidents, but you can't accept accidental deaths in death penalty cases? ..even tho' there are tens of thousands more car accidental deaths?

Baron Max

Cars are not designed to kill. And people accept this risk in engaging in a non-criminal activity.

I disagree, prison should be about keeping convicts away from decent society, not punishing them.

And in so doing, you're punishing society by forcing them to pay for the upkeep of the prisons, paying for guards, food, clothing, etc.

By the way, I'm a firm believer in the fact that prisons are, in fact, punishment for crimes committed against society.

It's not their fault they can't control their urges (or that they have bad urges in the first place), it's just unlucky, they're just an unfortunate product of nature.

Then why doesn't society just get rid of them ...like we do wild, vicous and/or rabid dogs that can't control their urges? We're being so mamby-pamby about crime and punishment that we're beginning to make crime the highest paid profession in the nation! In a few years, if Obama gets elected, we might even do away with prisons and just let the criminals run free anywhere they want, taking anything they want.

Baron Max

Cars are not designed to kill.

Well, for a machine that's not designed to kill, it sure as hell is doing a damned good job of it! In fact, as you're well aware, cars kill tens of thousands more innocent people than guns probably ever did ...perhaps in all of history, including wars!

Yet you accept that risk with cars, but you can't accept the minimal risk of guns????? :D

Baron Max

Well, for a machine that's not designed to kill, it sure as hell is doing a damned good job of it! In fact, as you're well aware, cars kill tens of thousands more innocent people than guns probably ever did ...perhaps in all of history, including wars!

Yet you accept that risk with cars, but you can't accept the minimal risk of guns????? :D

Baron Max

lol Excuse me, but I'm not even replying to that.. :rolleyes:

lol Excuse me, but I'm not even replying to that..

But you just did, didn't you. What you probably meant to say is that you have no good answer for the points in my post, so you make silly, childish excuses for not responding to it.

Baron Max

Okay, name them, provide scientific studies and links, show where and how and who those "workable" rehad methods have worked.

"the recidivism rate is, on average, 10 percentage points lower for the treatment group than for the control group"

Assessing Correctional Rehabilitation: Policy,Practice, and Prospectsby Francis T. Cullen and Paul Gendreau
http://www.ncjrs.gov/criminal_justice2000/vol_3/03d.pdf

At $220,000 for an average 10 year sentence, that is $2,200,000 saved for 10 out of every 100 people over 10 years that don't go back to prison.

There are 2,300,000 people in jail so that's roughly $5,060,000,000 a year or 10% of the annual prison budget of $50,000,000,000.

(prison pop and cost from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/02/28/ST2008022803016.html)

a gets elected, we might even do away with prisons and just let the criminals run free anywhere they want, taking anything they want.

Sure and McCain shits rainbows out his ass.

I don't remember but there are tickets for sale, so I assume not....

By the way the question wasn't the economic side of the story, but the humanity of it. One guy's family jewels got dmagaed, the warden's answer: "he doesn't need it here anyway."

do they sign a waiver before they voluntarily participate?

But you just did, didn't you. What you probably meant to say is that you have no good answer for the points in my post, so you make silly, childish excuses for not responding to it.

Baron Max

That's true, I have no good answer to your silly arguments.
I know you think it's somehow pretty cool of yourself that you are arguing points that you don't even believe in yourself, I just think it's dumb.
I have a lot of respect for you Baron, but I really don't know why you're acting like you do.
You know perfectly well that comparing cars with guns is nonsense.

I know you think it's somehow pretty cool of yourself that you are arguing points that you don't even believe in yourself, I just think it's dumb.

So you think one has to actually believe something in order to make a valid, opposing argument? Surely you're joking, right? :D

You know perfectly well that comparing cars with guns is nonsense.

Well, sure. What it shows is that it's not the deaths that concern you at all. You have an agenda, and you're using the deaths as a point of argument. The reality is that the number of deaths mean little or nothing to you. Gun opponents often make that mistake ...and they're caught at often, too.

Baron Max

So you think one has to actually believe something in order to make a valid, opposing argument? Surely you're joking, right? :D
I'm not sure I understand why anyone would argue against something they believe in. Unless you don't give a shit either way..

Well, sure. What it shows is that it's not the deaths that concern you at all. You have an agenda, and you're using the deaths as a point of argument. The reality is that the number of deaths mean little or nothing to you. Gun opponents often make that mistake ...and they're caught at often, too.

Baron Max
You made a jump somewhere..

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would argue against something they believe in.

Helps me better understand my own beliefs and stance on issues.

Again, if it's the number of deaths that bother you, then your argument just don't hold water. So, tell me, what is it that bothers you about it?

Baron Max

Helps me better understand my own beliefs and stance on issues.

Again, if it's the number of deaths that bother you, then your argument just don't hold water. So, tell me, what is it that bothers you about it?

Baron Max

We were talking about capital punishment, not guns. You made that jump somewhere.

Back