an analogy that makes a point

Ekimklaw

Believer in God
Registered Senior Member
Is fire evil?

"Yes." says the burning man
"No." says the freezing man

Now I ask you... is God evil?

I've been burnt and would never call fire evil. In fact, only a moron incapable of human thought would say something stupid like that.

Anything that does not suit us morally we call evil.

A priest sometimes would call atheists evil because they don't believe God, to him that is immoral.

An atheist would call religion evil because it has halted science and percecuted many innocent.

But in the end, religion is not at fault, it's the people, humans are always the problem.

Originally posted by Tyler
I've been burnt and would never call fire evil. In fact, only a moron incapable of human thought would say something stupid like that.

Gee... a bit touchy aren't we Tyler? No need for tantrums.

I of course remain totally unfazed by your pointless, vacuous ad hominem attacks. Hey, when the logic fails miserably it's time to start the name calling, right?

Your pal,

-Mike

Originally posted by Ekimklaw
Is fire evil?

"Yes." says the burning man
"No." says the freezing man

Now I ask you... is God evil?
I've been burnt, and I've been frozen. Fire is just fire, neither good nor evil. If anything, it's hot.

What's the point of your post? I responded to your 'analogy'.

I have been burnt. Quite severly. 405 degrees in my oven as I bent over to pick out a pizza and my then girlfriend turned around and bumped into me. My arm was held against the top of the oven for about 4 seconds and my whole arm went nearly purple.

Another time I was bumped by a family member when fixing a fire and my other arm was burnt.

I call neither a fire or oven evil. Your analogy is groundless and stupid.

Originally posted by Adam

I've been burnt, and I've been frozen. Fire is just fire, neither good nor evil. If anything, it's hot.

ROTFL!!!

This is great! You all are making my day! Thanks.

-Mike

What's the point of your post? I responded to your 'analogy'.

I have been burnt. Quite severly. 405 degrees in my oven as I bent over to pick out a pizza and my then girlfriend turned around and bumped into me. My arm was held against the top of the oven for about 4 seconds and my whole arm went nearly purple.

Another time I was bumped by a family member when fixing a fire and my other arm was burnt.

I call neither a fire or oven evil. Your analogy is groundless and stupid.

adem u suk

ekamkawl is corect hear, becuss we all no off water beng evel becuss pepple drawn in it. ind how sheyving creem is evel becuss it maks ur eys hurt. so off corse fiur is evel becuss it is hat, dose that knot make cents two you idit.

also xev is in idit becuss shy is a aythis, aythiss ur jast pepple thit no gad exits bat pretind he dosnt two anoy gud god firing christins liek me ind ekamkawl.

Communication problems?

I always wonder why atheists--even those who employ devices such as sarcasm and humor--read the words of others with a literalist bender that would inspire the hardest of Bible thumpers.

And fire is largely my friend. If you spend time as a youth setting yourself on fire, you learn a couple things about it. I could never dump butane into my hand and light a cigarette that way, but then again, very few people could get away with setting themselves on fire in order to make a point in physics class. However, being as friends are often friends because they let each get away with "burning" the other in one form or another, I won't be surprised if someday fire and I can no longer cooperate.

If fire isn't evil, why not let our friend live and prosper in Arizona and Colorado?

I would point to J.B. Russell's considerations of evil in Lucifer: The Devil in the Middle Ages, and even spend a moment on his considerations toward natural evils, but two things are obvious:

• The relevance of such considerations would be apparent only to a few people
• Nobody who doesn't already understand the points I could extract from Russell's text seems to care.

In the end, though, one tidbit worth noting is that in a theistic world, fire can be good or evil depending on how one regards it, while in an atheistic world it is merely fire because good and evil cannot be shown to exist. This tidbit is not taken from Russell's text.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Yes Tiassa, communication problems

Originally posted by GB-GIL Trans-global
ekamkawl is corect hear
GB-GIL Trans-global, why don't you spend time on more "productive" posts? :)

Also "ekamkawl" is correct about what again?
Originally posted by Xev
See what happens when you feed a troll?
Who's the troll here and why?

Re: Yes Tiassa, communication problems

Originally posted by ~The_Chosen~

GB-GIL Trans-global, why don't you spend time on more "productive" posts? :)

Also "ekamkawl" is correct about what again?

Who's the troll here and why?

what ar you taking abot i am bing pradoctiv becuss i try to be pradoctiv, ind make pusts abot how atheis ar alwes rang ind athes ar supid idits ind thay know it two

abot ekemkwel he is corecct abot gud ind evel

whose the trowl hear i think its bad athess liek xev ind tiler

GB-GIL

GB-GIL

I do, in fact, think I get it. I'm not sure the point will have its desired effect.

At 4 in the morning, though, I find myself wondering if that approach to things gives you a headache.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

adem u suk

ekamkawl is corect hear, becuss we all no off water beng evel becuss pepple drawn in it. ind how sheyving creem is evel becuss it maks ur eys hurt. so off corse fiur is evel becuss it is hat, dose that knot make cents two you idit.

also xev is in idit becuss shy is a aythis, aythiss ur jast pepple thit no gad exits bat pretind he dosnt two anoy gud god firing christins liek me ind ekamkawl.

1- We know of water being evil because people drown in it.

Absurd. If there was no gravity the water would have no pressure effect upon the body so the body could float to safety.
Surely it's gravity that's evil.

2-Shaving cream is evil because it makes your eyes hurt?

Mind dullingly wrong. It must be YOU that's evil for getting it near enough to contact the orbit or the sclera. Or maybe your face that's evil for growing the damnable hair in the first place.

3-Fire is hot and so is evil.

Oh my word. You wouldn't believe how wrong you are.
Can you imagine the state of technological advancement (or possibly retardation) that humanity would be at without fire No metals, no medicines, raw food... W would be lucky to still exist.

4-Xev is an idiot because she is an atheist....God fearing christians like me.

Again, no cigar. Idiocy is the habitat of those unable to see past their own indoctrination.

Like you.

adem u suk
Thanks for that little chunk of brilliance. You are indeed a gargantuan intellect.

The analogy from the very start is insufficient. Do not assume I did not understand. I do. However, it is illogical and insufficient. For such a demonstration, a thoroughly logical analogy is required. The given analogy is not thoroughly logical, as it simply does not provide what it was supposed to provide, that being a picture of one thing which can be considered good or evil depending on one's situation. However, fire is not sufficient, as in either case it is merely hot, not good or evil.

LOL.............good one I like it.:p :D

GB-Gil:
Ha ha ha! Good one!

GB-GIL Trans-global, why don't you spend time on more "productive" posts?

*Shrugs*

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Who is the troll here and why?

Elkimlaw:

troll

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT. 2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." Compare kook. 3. n. [Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so- called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.

The use of `troll' in either sense is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning "Do not feed the troll" as part of a followup to troll postings.

From The Jargon Lexicon.

Also see here

That's what you get for being frivolous.

Originally posted by Xev
GB-Gil:
Ha ha ha! Good one!

*Shrugs*

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

GB-GIL Trans-global that is what you get for being senseless and puerile. Don't blame them if they didn't perceive it to be a joke.

So I say to Xev, fuck you for not understanding. :D

*shrugs*

Back