"Ambient Deafness"

I should point out that there are several forms of central deafness (as the above condition is known), but they are all exceedingly rare. Certainly it's not the kind of thing I would trust to a self diagnosis (speaking to visceral_instinct here). Additionally, it's not the kind of thing that develops gradually -- it's either with you from birth or the result of brain trauma.

Correct.

On a personal level I find it exceedingly furstrating for a number of reasons.
To some extent i've learned to lipread and to infer as an adaptation, but there's only so far that can take you. When I get fed up with not being able to discern what people are saying (I can hear their voices quite clearly, It's just largely unintelligeble, kind of like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons) and asking them to repeat themselves, I simply ignore them (if it's possible), and then tell them that I didn't hear them.

I definitely don't have crap attention span and focus. I actually have pretty good concentration.

Meh, I'll go to the free mobile hearing test clinic next time it comes here.

I just found it incongruous that I had crap hearing but hear small noises that other people can ignore.

Back