Always move over for faster drivers?

Originally posted by zanket
You say “the next best thing is to optimize the experience of the individual.” I do that by not moving over.
So you do it because you think it is fun to block people? Otherwise, the safest place for a speeder to be is infront of you. Not getting angry behind you.

I also find it hilarious that you seem unable to decouple speeding and tailgating.

Originally posted by Persol
So you do it because you think it is fun to block people?

No. Because it's best for everyone on average in the long run, as I've explained.

Otherwise, the safest place for a speeder to be is infront of you. Not getting angry behind you.

It’s safest for a burglar if I keep my doors unlocked, so he won't get angry and kill my neighbor.

I also find it hilarious that you seem unable to decouple speeding and tailgating.

I’ve twice explained the coupling. I find it interesting that no one has challenged the burglar analogy.

You can't be this slow.

No. Because it's best for everyone on average in the long run, as I've explained.
You have done nothing to explain this. You have not shown any reason to believe you are right, but we have shown reports that explain why it is wrong.

It’s safest for a burglar if I keep my doors unlocked, so he won't get angry and kill my neighbor.

Apples and oranges. You're argument is based on speeding drivers being bad drivers. A bad driver behind you is a danger to you. Letting the driver pass allows you to distance yourself from the driver.

I’ve twice explained the coupling. I find it interesting that no one has challenged the burglar analogy.

That's because the analogy doesn't make any damn sense. We are arguing that it is not your job to protect those around you. Your analogy is saying the same thing.

Originally posted by Persol
You have done nothing to explain this. You have not shown any reason to believe you are right, but we have shown reports that explain why it is wrong.

I’ve explained it; you just disagree. You’ve shown reports that disagree with me in their belief about what is best. To me it is obvious that everyone in the city going at the same speed—a reasonable 5 to 10 MPH over the speed limit—is better than everyone going that speed except for a small number of 90+ MPH drivers hogging one lane for themselves. Apparently the majority of people agree, for I’ve shown that my actions are within the intent of the law.

Apples and oranges. You're argument is based on speeding drivers being bad drivers. A bad driver behind you is a danger to you. Letting the driver pass allows you to distance yourself from the driver.

A bad driver is akin to a burglar; both are lawbreakers. He wants to get into my house/get me to move over. I can keep the doors unlocked/move over to help prevent him from becoming enraged and killing me or my neighbor/other driver. It’s apples and apples.

That's because the analogy doesn't make any damn sense. We are arguing that it is not your job to protect those around you. Your analogy is saying the same thing.

I don’t normally go out of my way to protect those around me. I don’t in either the speeding driver or burglar case; it’s a byproduct of maximizing my individual opportunity as wesmorris’s quote put it. I’m not talking about my actions alone. I’m saying everyone should not move over/should keep their doors locked.

There is also the risk issue. If I drive in Mexico I’ll keep $20 in my wallet so I can pay off the corrupt cops who would otherwise haul me off to jail for nothing I did. Not acquiescing to a lawbreaker in that case is not worth it to me. In the case of speeding drivers the risk to me is small, especially since I slow down when they tailgate me. I don’t fear getting shot. If I lived in Los Angeles I might decide differently.

it’s a byproduct of maximizing my individual opportunity as wesmorris’s quote put it.
How does blocking the person behind you maximize your opprotunity?

Not moving over minimizes my time to destination within the law. Moving over requires more effort and slows me down as I jockey to get between the cars in the next lane.

We are not talking about when there is so much traffic that getting to the right is an issue. The majority of the time changing lanes is not an issue.

When the volume of traffic is not an issue, moving over still requires more effort. I’d have to move over frequently.

Nope, i'd say Zanket is wrong, and the rest of us are correct. Of course, logic etc isnt necessarily related to real life. Ultimately, all I can say is go talk to your local speed police, and see what they say.

"When the volume of traffic is not an issue, moving over still requires more effort. I’d have to move over frequently."

But ultiamtely, hoggint the lane increases problems, since what happens is a build up of slowed and angry drivers. You, one individual, are feeling smug, but the 12 people behind you arent. So, they outnumber you, right? Then, if you think about the decelerations involved in you creating a long tail of traffic behind you, and then, when you move out of the way, the accelerations. Thats a lot of manouvring, changing of distance between cars. Now, do you think all that happening is safer than you pulling into the inside lane, under control, when theres space?

Originally posted by guthrie
Nope, i'd say Zanket is wrong, and the rest of us are correct.
And it seems that every driving association agrees with us, along with the laws of most states:
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

It's funny. He breaks the law, admitting that he speeds. However for some odd reason he feels it is his right to say that other drivers are only allowed to break the law to the same extent that he does.

I usually speed, never tailgate, haven't had a single accident in 11 years of driving. I spend most of my time in the fast lane but move over if someone is travelling faster than me (rarely happens) IF it is safe to do so without cutting someone off in the slow lane. If its obvious that I cant safely move over and they tailgate me and act like an arsehole I tap the brake and enjoy watching them shit themselves...

The San Jose Mercury News had an article on this topic. I speed, but I don't tailgate. That's even more stupid than speeding. If the guy in front of me is putting along and I'm closing, I do one of two things: 1) I pass on the right IF AND ONLY IF it's reasonably safe to do so, or 2) flash the lights, tap the horn, etc, to get his attention. If he obviously can't get over, traffic is thick or whatever, there's no point in pushing him. Just bite the bullet until he can get over or I can pass. But as to that Merc News article, the author had advice, and it wasn't for speeders. It was actually for people who tie up the fast lane and try to justify it by saying things like "it's illegal to speed, so I'm not letting you break the law."
You are NOT the Highway Patrol. It is not your job, nor is it safe for you to enforce traffic codes. Just move over. They'll find a cop eventually.

It's your car, not your testicles. It doesn't matter if someone is bigger or stronger.

Back