Alternative Movement for Individual Freedoms

If you think the argument in the OP is a valid one, then yes.
Did I actually make a point in that OP???
:p

It seems, at least to me, that countries of the, so-called, "Islamic" world are undergoing great and rapid change towards modern secularized social contracts.

I think it's quite fascinating to watch. This post was me thinking about this process as it's happening.

One thing that I think that needs more support is for people to define their culture as something other than Islamic. To take off the "Islamic" lenses and see their past from a different light. AND to realize that when they were Islamic it wasn't all that great. That the Great Arab Empire may have been even Greater if it wasn't so tied down by Islam.

It's a big ask, but something that needs to happen nonetheless.

What did you think of:

"As I grew up, I realised I was not able to satiate my urge to sing devotional songs...Just to fulfil that urge I took up singing devotional songs when I reached 25," recalled Ali, who sings kirtans and also pens bhajans.

Ali had to face a lot of opposition from his family and community.

"My parents, relatives all opposed my decision... I expected strong reactions from them. It all continued for several months. However, during the period I managed to convince an aged Muslim cleric, whom my father respected a lot," he said.

"It was the cleric, who softened the stand of my father, who allowed me to sing devotional songs even though a number of relatives were still against the decision," he added.

Lucky his Imam wasn't a Monotheistic fundamentalist.
Fundamentalism (aka ruthless denial of all alternative points of view) is a sore fit no matter where it crops up. Its equally just as well that his father wasn't an atheist fundamentalist too.

:shrug:

I am intolerant of certain things. Bigotry. Stealing. Lying. etc...

So if your partner suddenly decided to attend church services thrice weekly its all cool?

I dated a girl who's father was a Priest. Their family lived in the Temple. I liked it. But, of course, I let them know I was atheist. Which they were fine with. Being Buddhist they didn't seem to mind as it didn't really change my afterlife. Now, I have dated a girl whose family was Christian. Her father wasn't even a Priest, but, he was very devout man (watched a lot TV evangelicals as well - kind of creepy). My being Atheist was a BIG problem for her and her family. For one it meant I wouldn't be spending eternity with her AFTER we're all dead and Geee..... that's no good. I mean, how can she be happy in heaven with me roasting in Hell?

You see, Monotheism has some inbuilt prejudices that MUST arise IF you are to take the belief seriously. That's the difference between monotheism and say polytheism.

I've never dated an Atheist - or at least one that didn't have some sort of superstitions. Maybe they didn't believe in God(s) or Buddha BUT they knew there was an afterlife and Oh, Ghost are real.... that sort of thing.

I'm not going to make a good personal connection with someone who is very superstitious. I've done it before and there's just too much spill over into our relationship. I mean, if they are THAT religious they usually want me to be so too. And I can't be. Like I said, try forcing yourself into believing Xenu is real. You can intellectually accept it may be possible, but, no way in hell are you ever going to believe in that madeup bullshit :D HELL, I'd rather be a Jedi! At least that is fun :p

You see, Monotheism has some inbuilt prejudices that MUST arise IF you are to take the belief seriously. That's the difference between monotheism and say polytheism.
and that's your big stumbling block.

What you can't see (perhaps because of your own prejudice) is that its the nature of any ideology to cause problems (ie impinge on issues of opposing ideologies) IF you are to take it seriously.

It doesn't matter whether we are discussing monotheism or secularism. Even liberalism becomes dogmatic if you take it far enough.

:shrug:

It seems, at least to me, that countries of the, so-called, "Islamic" world are undergoing great and rapid change towards modern secularized social contracts.

I think it's quite fascinating to watch. This post was me thinking about this process as it's happening.

It only seems that way to people from other cultures, because now in the last couple of years you people are paying attention to it. So, now it's in the news. That's all. Good things and bad things happened in the "Islamic" world with the same rate as it's been in the last decade. Because of the war, as general aspect, people got to own their religion and nation more tightly. But I don't know how you see that of course, because according to my personal experiences most of the other world cultures perceives the Islamic world and its people as one type. Now this post would look as it's conflicted with my first one in this thread, but it's not. People are people everywhere around the world and their problems are the same. So, in my opinion, everything is the same as before, we only hear more about individual events as now we are more 'globalised', that's all. What's so bad is, that's just a delusion. The same thing goes for Christian and Jewish societies.

It depends on:
-the cultural and religious back ground of the country
-the control of the state and governments,
-How much laicest the law systems is,
-the most important one as it effects the socio-cultural life; how much secularized the people 'can get', in an environment in reaction to all above.

Well, it's important what do you understand from 'secular', of course. If it's the colour white poured in black, everywhere around the world is shade of black and grey.

A country could be laicised by law but not secular by culture. Or completely secular by culture, not laicest in the law by the least.

Back